Post here your Elvis' pictures

looking for ELVIS mirror suit photo

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 am

i'm looking for the photo of ELVIS in mirror suit that appeared in a poster 1977. The poster had THE LEGEND LIVES ON printed across the top I believe , thank you in advance .

Re: looking for ELVIS mirror suit photo

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:08 am

motleycrue wrote:i'm looking for the photo of ELVIS in mirror suit that appeared in a poster 1977. The poster had THE LEGEND LIVES ON printed across the top I believe , thank you in advance .

IIRC, esteemed FECC member midnightx had that poster on his wall back then. He made still have it.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 am

:wtf:
Last edited by Energy Catalyzer on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:00 am

I don't like this belt. Looks like Flash Gordon or something like that.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Winston wrote:I don't like this belt. Looks like Flash Gordon or something like that.

Better to look like Flash Gordon than Santa Claus! :wink:

Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:49 pm

promiseland wrote:
Winston wrote:Better to look like Flash Gordon than Santa Claus! :wink:

:smt003 :smt005

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 pm

thank you Javier , but no I mean the sunlight suit I believe is the name [im not sure of the name] so here is a photo of the suit . Thank you again Javier .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:43 pm

:?:

Never heard of a mirror suit and mirror belts, never recognized them either.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 pm

G.I. Blues wrote::?:

midnightx likely knows more. A whole lot more.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 pm

motleycrue wrote:thank you Javier , but no I mean the sunlight suit I believe is the name [im not sure of the name] so here is a photo of the suit . Thank you again Javier .

"Orange Sunburst" :smt006

http://www.silvesters-elvis-page.at/j096-01.html

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concerts/C ... php?id=624

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:19 am

promiseland wrote:
Winston wrote:I don't like this belt. Looks like Flash Gordon or something like that.

Better to look like Flash Gordon than Santa Claus! :wink:

you must have had a very strange old man in your house at Christmas.....

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:46 am

thank you JAVIER .

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 pm

motleycrue wrote:thank you JAVIER .

Your welcome motleycrue, but I'm sorry not to have a photo that you say :(

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Is this the photo that was on that poster? I have always loved that poster. (Looking at the file name, thanks to Brian for this photo!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Go-ahead and shed some light. I'm willing to learn!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:33 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Go-ahead and shed some light. I'm willing to learn!

Well, let's get him on board here! Can you shoot midnightx a PM?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:41 am

not a problem JAVIER and thank you THE FOOL that is the one. Any chance anyone has a date for it ? thanks again .

Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:44 am

motleycrue wrote:not a problem JAVIER and thank you THE FOOL that is the one. Any chance anyone has a date for it ? thanks again .

I'm going to take a guess (but I may be wrong) and say probably June 21, 1973, Omni Col. (8:30 PM show) in Atlanta, Georgia (?). Photographer Bud Skinner.

There were some alternate shots recently published in another EP book (sorry, but I don't recall the name of the publication, perhaps some other hardcore fans here might).

Incidentally, that poster was the fuse that set off Col. Parker (Boxcar Enterprises) to go on the attack and erect a legal fence around EP's posthumous marketing rights. More can be found here https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/ ... 4.655.html.

"On August 16, 1977, Elvis Presley died suddenly and unexpectedly. His father, Vernon Presley, was appointed executor of his estate. On August 18, 1977, two days after Presley's death, Boxcar granted Factors the exclusive license to exploit commercially the name and likeness of Elvis Presley. Factors paid Boxcar $100,000 on execution of the agreement against a guarantee of $150,000. Vernon Presley, as executor of the estate, signed the agreement licensing Factors, at the same time warranting that Boxcar was the sole and exclusive owner of the commercial Elvis Presley rights.4 The agreement was also approved by Parker.

Immediately following Presley's death, Pro Arts decided that it too wanted a share in the market for Elvis Presley memorabilia. It purchased the copyright in the photograph of Presley from a staff photographer of the Atlanta (Georgia) Journal. On August 19, 1977, three days after his death, Pro Arts published a poster using the photograph and filed an application for registration of copyright. The poster is entitled "IN MEMORY" and below the photograph of Presley the poster bears the dates "1935-1977."

On the same day that the poster was published, Pro Arts began to market it. One of its first customers was co-defendant Stop and Shop Companies, which thereafter sold the poster through its Bradlees Stores Division in the Southern District of New York. On August 24, 1977, five days after its poster was placed on the market, Pro Arts notified Boxcar Enterprises that it was offering "a memorial 'Elvis' poster to meet the public demand." When Factors was informed of the letter, it replied to Pro Arts claiming the exclusive right to manufacture, sell and distribute all merchandise utilizing the name and likeness of Elvis Presley. Factors also warned Pro Arts that if it did not discontinue sale of the poster, it would be subject to a lawsuit for injunctive relief, damages and an accounting.

Instead of ceasing distribution of the poster, Pro Arts filed suit in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio seeking a declaratory judgment of non-infringement of the rights claimed by Factors. When Factors discovered that it had been sued in Ohio, it responded by instituting this action against Pro Arts and Stop and Shop in United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.5 This later action was filed on September 26, 1977, just five days after Pro Arts' action."

That poster was flying off the shelves (which was money flying out of The Col.'s pockets) in the weeks right after EP's passing. A very interesting photo, poster and history.

Boxcar quickly stepped in to meet the demand, with some of its own "official" (Bonja) EP portrait posters.

N8
... just a fan ....

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:21 am

N880EP wrote:Incidentally, that poster was the fuse that set off Col. Parker (Boxcar Enterprises) to go on the attack and erect a legal fence around EP's posthumous marketing rights. More can be found here https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/579/579.F2d.215.77-7544.655.html.

The most interesting part of that link to the legal document are the footnotes, which shows just how much management took Elvis to the cleaners, and how even father Vernon gladly handed the reins to them.

1 At the time of his death, Presley was operating under an agreement with Parker, who was doing business as "All Star Shows." The agreement was executed on May 25, 1963, and was thereafter extended several times. The last extension occurred on January 22, 1976, and granted merchandising rights to Parker for another seven years

20 YEARS!

2 Parker owned 56% Of the shares; Presley and Tom Dishkin, President of Boxcar, each owned 22%

PARKER 56% ELVIS 22%!

3 When Boxcar licensed a merchandising item, Presley received 20% Of the royalties, Parker received 20%, and Dishkin [sic] received 10%. The remaining 50% Went to Boxcar

PARKER = BOXCAR ... 20% + 50% = 70% FOR PARKER

4 Contemporaneous with this agreement, Vernon Presley wrote to Parker, asking him to "carry on according to the same terms and conditions as stated in the contractual agreement (between Presley and Parker) dated January 22, 1976" (See n. 1, Supra )

CARRY ON!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:06 pm

thank you n880 , that was very interesting . I had no idea , I always thought the poster was an official one . Also thank you for the date of the photo if you ever remember the name of book , please let me know .

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:49 pm

I originally thought you were talking about Fort Wayne, IN June 12, 1972 and the "mirror" belt from Tunzi's first book in 1990...but not so it seems. Here they are anyway.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371934092.785635.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371934103.001114.jpg

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
N880EP wrote:Incidentally, that poster was the fuse that set off Col. Parker (Boxcar Enterprises) to go on the attack and erect a legal fence around EP's posthumous marketing rights. More can be found here https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/579/579.F2d.215.77-7544.655.html.

The most interesting part of that link to the legal document are the footnotes, which shows just how much management took Elvis to the cleaners, and how even father Vernon gladly handed the reins to them.

1 At the time of his death, Presley was operating under an agreement with Parker, who was doing business as "All Star Shows." The agreement was executed on May 25, 1963, and was thereafter extended several times. The last extension occurred on January 22, 1976, and granted merchandising rights to Parker for another seven years

20 YEARS!

2 Parker owned 56% Of the shares; Presley and Tom Dishkin, President of Boxcar, each owned 22%

PARKER 56% ELVIS 22%!

3 When Boxcar licensed a merchandising item, Presley received 20% Of the royalties, Parker received 20%, and Dishkin [sic] received 10%. The remaining 50% Went to Boxcar

4 Contemporaneous with this agreement, Vernon Presley wrote to Parker, asking him to "carry on according to the same terms and conditions as stated in the contractual agreement (between Presley and Parker) dated January 22, 1976" (See n. 1, Supra )

CARRY ON!

wow they are amazing percentages. You must be an expert in this field...do you know a modern day version of the Colonel who could take me to the cleaners please?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:50 am

pingpong wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

20 YEARS!

PARKER 56% ELVIS 22%!

CARRY ON!

wow they are amazing percentages. You must be an expert in this field...do you know a modern day version of the Colonel who could take me to the cleaners please?

Oh, there are plenty just like him, who would love to manage someone like you.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
pingpong wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

20 YEARS!

PARKER 56% ELVIS 22%!

CARRY ON!

Oh, there are plenty just like him, who would love to manage someone like you.

badly sidestepped..

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:51 am

motleycrue wrote:thank you n880 , that was very interesting . I had no idea , I always thought the poster was an official one . Also thank you for the date of the photo if you ever remember the name of book , please let me know .

Hello, please see the 24 second mark of this youtube clip for the alternate photo. It's a Tunzi book, which is why I forgot the title name (I stopped buying his EP photo books long ago).

phpBB [video]

It appears that I may have gotten the show time incorrect. 3 PM show, according to the book/trailer.

N8
... just a fan ....