Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
rizzy56
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

1954 Louisiana Hayride photo, colorized

Post by rizzy56 »

I hope you guys like it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rizzy56 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Re: 1954 Louisiana Hayride photo, colorized

Post by JamesVRoy »

See this post for a discussion of the shirts Scotty and Bill are wearing
http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=45850&p=630680#p630680

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

JamesVRoy wrote:See this post for a discussion of the shirts Scotty and Bill are wearing
Grrrrrrrrr!! I search everywhere trying to get info about them shirts with no luck, I should of just pm you james :facep:
Thanks james for the info I will correct the photo.

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

JamesVRoy wrote:See this post for a discussion of the shirts Scotty and Bill are wearing
Corrected now let me know what you think james.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

The shirts should be light grey while the cuffs and yokes should be black, not too different from this photo I suspect
p1c.jpg
Scotty's guitar at that time should look more like this one
http://scottymoore.net/Gibsontribute.html

Overall it looks pretty good, if not a bit vibrant. You got the stage backdrop and banner colors pretty close.
Here are some other vintage color shots of the stage from that era
http://www.dekedickerson.com/dekephotoarchive/scottybroyles/scottybroyles3.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

It's probably not the best image to attempt to colourize.

Note the photo was taken on the evening of Presley's "Hayride" debut, Saturday, October 16, 1954. He was 19 years and 9 months old.

Your image is also cropped. Here is (almost) the complete photo, with KWKH Radio announcer Frank Page stage left.

541016_Louisiana Hayride debut.JPG

Page only just passed away this January, at the age of 87.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

JamesVRoy wrote:The shirts should be light grey while the cuffs and yokes should be black, not too different from this photo I suspect
p1c.jpg
Scotty's guitar at that time should look more like this one
http://scottymoore.net/Gibsontribute.html

Overall it looks pretty good, if not a bit vibrant. You got the stage backdrop and banner colors pretty close.
Here are some other vintage color shots of the stage from that era
http://www.dekedickerson.com/dekephotoarchive/scottybroyles/scottybroyles3.htm
How about this one James ?
Last edited by rizzy56 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's probably not the best image to attempt to colourize.

Note the photo was taken on the evening of Presley's "Hayride" debut, Saturday, October 16, 1954. He was 19 years and 9 months old.

Your image is also cropped. Here is (almost) the complete photo, with KWKH Radio announcer Frank Page stage left.

541016_Louisiana Hayride debut.JPG

Page only just passed away this January, at the age of 87.
I know the image is cropped but it was the only one I had of it in HQ. And thankyou for the info Doc ::rocks

drjohncarpenter

It seems unlikely young Elvis was wearing pink that evening.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:It seems unlikely young Elvis was wearing pink that evening.
Well doc I was going by these two photo's all within the same time period! or maybe you might know?

drjohncarpenter

I love those true color shots, but they were taken months later, on Saturday, January 22, 1955.

1955 Color Photo from The Louisiana Hayride
http://www.scottymoore.net/hayridecolor.html

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I love those true color shots, but they were taken months later, on Saturday, January 22, 1955.

Still looks like the same kind of Loose Trousers and jacket, so going by the fact that a young Elvis wore pink on two different Occasions at the same venue makes it likely.

drjohncarpenter

rizzy56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I love those true color shots, but they were taken months later, on Saturday, January 22, 1955.

Still looks like the same kind of Loose Trousers and jacket, so going by the fact that a young Elvis wore pink on two different Occasions at the same venue makes it likely.
Elvis did not wear pink the night of his Hayride debut. Not a single person has ever mentioned this and it most certainly would have been noted by those who were there.

This is one of the drawbacks of colurizing photos. People can change historical perception by misrendering a black and white original.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:

Elvis did not wear pink the night of his Hayride debut. Not a single person has ever mentioned this and it most certainly would have been noted by those who were there.

This is one of the drawbacks of colurizing photos. People can change historical perception by misrendering a black and white original.
How can you say he did not wear pink when yourself said that not a single person mentioned it, or mentioned what color clothes he was wearing?
Doc I am not trying to change historical perception at all! all I am doing it adding alittle color to a photo noting more.
In the two color photos of elvis wearing pink Loose Trousers and jacket, look to be similar to what he is wearing in the photo I colorized.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Pink, blue, turquoise, psychedelic.

Wouldn't it be nice to have been in the audience for those shows?

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

Rob wrote:Pink, blue, turquoise, psychedelic.

Wouldn't it be nice to have been in the audience for those shows?
I would have to agree with you rob, it would have been great.

drjohncarpenter

rizzy56 wrote:How can you say he did not wear pink when yourself said that not a single person mentioned it, or mentioned what color clothes he was wearing?
Use your common sense. The debut has been discussed in print by many who were there (Scotty, Sam, Marion, Betty Amos, Frank Page), and not one of them noted Elvis coming on the second-most popular country show in 1954 wearing pink.

Someone would have noticed such a flamboyant choice of clothing for what was essentially an audition. We are speaking of the South, almost 60 years ago. Pink clothing on men was not commonplace.

That's how I can say Elvis did not wear such colors on October 16, 1954.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rizzy56 wrote:How can you say he did not wear pink when yourself said that not a single person mentioned it, or mentioned what color clothes he was wearing?
Use your common sense. The debut has been discussed in print by many who were there (Scotty, Sam, Marion, Betty Amos, Frank Page), and not one of them noted Elvis coming on the second-most popular country show in 1954 wearing pink.

Someone would have noticed such a flamboyant choice of clothing for what was essentially an audition. We are speaking of the South, almost 60 years ago. Pink clothing on men was not commonplace.

And yet no one has ever said he did not.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Actually, Peter Guralnick wrote what he wore
When Elvis arrived back at the auditorium that night it was completely different, transformed by the presence not just of an audience and musicians in colorful Western outfits but by the almost palpable anticipation that something was going to happen. He was wearing a pink jacket, white pants, a black shirt, a brightly colored clip-on bow tie and the kind of two-tone shoes that were known as co-respondent shoes, because they were the kind that a snappy salesman or a co-respondent in a divorce case might be expected to wear. Scotty and Bill were wearing matching Western shirts with decorative bibs and dark ties. Bill’s battered bass looked as if it were held together with baling wire, Elvis cradled his child-size guitar, and only Scotty’s handsome Gibson ES 295 lent a touch of professional class to the trio. But everyone was taken with the boy. Pappy Covington greeted Sam and the boys warmly, as if he hadn’t seen them in months. Even Horace Logan, renowned not just for his impresario’s instincts but for his frosty air of self-congratulation, seemed to take to the boy—there was something about him that brought out almost a protective quality, even in seasoned professionals.

http://scottymoore.net/hillbillycat.html

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

When Elvis arrived back at the auditorium that night it was completely different, transformed by the presence not just of an audience and musicians in colorful Western outfits but by the almost palpable anticipation that something was going to happen. He was wearing a pink jacket, white pants, a black shirt, a brightly colored clip-on bow tie and the kind of two-tone shoes that were known as co-respondent shoes, because they were the kind that a snappy salesman or a co-respondent in a divorce case might be expected to wear. Scotty and Bill were wearing matching Western shirts with decorative bibs and dark ties. Bill’s battered bass looked as if it were held together with baling wire, Elvis cradled his child-size guitar, and only Scotty’s handsome Gibson ES 295 lent a touch of professional class to the trio. But everyone was taken with the boy. Pappy Covington greeted Sam and the boys warmly, as if he hadn’t seen them in months. Even Horace Logan, renowned not just for his impresario’s instincts but for his frosty air of self-congratulation, seemed to take to the boy—there was something about him that brought out almost a protective quality, even in seasoned professionals.

Thankyou very much James. It looks like I was half right lol.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

Nice job with the shirts. I bet those are close.
I saw the shoes up for auction recently, don't remember if I saved a picture but I'll look

Nevermind, I thought they were these but they're different

drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

That's good enough for me, the jacket was pink, but not the tie and trousers. Although I suspect Guralnick based his description on a recollection by Merle Kigore, one which is not necessarily from October.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

That's good enough for me, the jacket was pink, but not the tie and trousers. Although I suspect Guralnick based his description on a recollection by Merle Kigore, one which is not necessarily from October.
Peter credited it as
a composite picture put together from descriptions of Elvis' appearance that evening and contemporaneous photographs. I don't know of a photograph from that first performance itself.

drjohncarpenter

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:That's good enough for me, the jacket was pink, but not the tie and trousers. Although I suspect Guralnick based his description on a recollection by Merle Kigore, one which is not necessarily from October.
Peter credited it as
a composite picture put together from descriptions of Elvis' appearance that evening and contemporaneous photographs. I don't know of a photograph from that first performance itself.
That's odd. Perhaps the photo we are discussing was not known to be from October 16, 1954 when Peter's first volume was published. The quote also leaves open the question of what color coat he wore that night.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
rizzy56

Post by rizzy56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Doc you dismissed A young Elvis wearing pink altogether when we all know Elvis was avery punk kid at this said time. I posted two true photos of Elvis from this very same time line, and drew on my own collusions.
This all up for debate....But please do not try to accused me of inaccurate historical perception.