Post here your Elvis' pictures

1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:51 pm

I may already know this but does anyone have a date for the photos where Elvis is modeling his new jumpsuits such as the Red Matador, Blue Nail, Blue Owl, etc.?

Thanks, ya'll.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Not exact dates, but many were taken on or about opening night at the Hilton in January 1972.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:27 pm

i always thought is was sept 71 .
somebody told me that here in holland
wrong so i notice
jan

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Agreed, as they were taken in the Imperial Suite at the Las Vegas Hilton. Elvis would typically stay there only when he was the performer in residence.

Had Colonel Parker bothered to spend a couple of bucks for proper lighting and makeup, Elvis would appear healthier. There was really only a single shot that proved worthy for commercial use.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:56 pm

simple question....what was the purpose of these photos?

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:21 pm

elvisbot wrote:simple question....what was the purpose of these photos?


I've personally always been under the impression that they were taken (more or less) for private use - maybe Elvis was just so exited about the new batch of suits he wanted some 'proper' shots of him wearing them. But then again, knowing how cheap the colonel was, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this was an actual photo shoot for publicity shots but as the results weren't so great, only a couple shots were actually used back then.

We added a folder for this particular 'shoot' on our site as a little bonus, and just to have something from the 70s. They're pretty interesting shots.

--> http://elvicities.com/~epss/index.php/Las-Vegas-1972



And if someone's interested, here's the rest;
--> http://elvicities.com/~epss/

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:02 pm

onelove wrote:
elvisbot wrote:simple question....what was the purpose of these photos?


I've personally always been under the impression that they were taken (more or less) for private use - maybe Elvis was just so exited about the new batch of suits he wanted some 'proper' shots of him wearing them. But then again, knowing how cheap the colonel was, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this was an actual photo shoot for publicity shots but as the results weren't so great, only a couple shots were actually used back then.

We added a folder for this particular 'shoot' on our site as a little bonus, and just to have something from the 70s. They're pretty interesting shots.

--> http://elvicities.com/~epss/index.php/Las-Vegas-1972



And if someone's interested, here's the rest;
--> http://elvicities.com/~epss/

He really looks pretty bad in a few of these, its almost looks as though it's a beginning of what was to come in '76- '77.
Never really noticed before, but Elvis seemed to have had an exceptionally, profoundly large head.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:20 pm

elvisjock wrote:Agreed, as they were taken in the Imperial Suite at the Las Vegas Hilton. Elvis would typically stay there only when he was the performer in residence.

Had Colonel Parker bothered to spend a couple of bucks for proper lighting and makeup, Elvis would appear healthier. There was really only a single shot that proved worthy for commercial use.



...or maybe Elvis should have been more professional and looked after himself....or perhaps he still looks great anyway?

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:26 pm

promiseland wrote:
onelove wrote:
elvisbot wrote:simple question....what was the purpose of these photos?


I've personally always been under the impression that they were taken (more or less) for private use - maybe Elvis was just so exited about the new batch of suits he wanted some 'proper' shots of him wearing them. But then again, knowing how cheap the colonel was, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this was an actual photo shoot for publicity shots but as the results weren't so great, only a couple shots were actually used back then.

We added a folder for this particular 'shoot' on our site as a little bonus, and just to have something from the 70s. They're pretty interesting shots.

--> http://elvicities.com/~epss/index.php/Las-Vegas-1972



And if someone's interested, here's the rest;
--> http://elvicities.com/~epss/

He really looks pretty bad in a few of these, its almost looks as though it's a beginning of what was to come in '76- '77.
Never really noticed before, but Elvis seemed to have had an exceptionally, profoundly large head.


Perhaps these shots were taken between shows in Vegas and he may have just been exhausted and worn out at the time the photo shoot was done. The lack of professional lighting probably didn't help much either....the lighting is rather harsh and Elvis is wearing zero make-up as well.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:36 am

I'm curious...which photos from the session were used on official product released during Elvis' lifetime?

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm curious...which photos from the session were used on official product released during Elvis' lifetime?


One of the photos of Elvis in the black butterfly suit and his gold belt were used as a publicity shot. I'm sure fans can be seen holding them at one of the airport arrival scenes shown in EOT. This is the one that I think they used.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:07 pm

This picture was indeed sold at concerts at that time- no doubt the Colonel was selling them at the airport before Elvis' plane arrived so the fans had something that could possibly get signed. Those airport arrivals were pretty much announced & staged for the film I believe.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:24 am

Thanks DarrylMac and greybeard for the info; I really like Elvis in the Burning Love jumpsuit doing the karate pose. The side profile...one fist over his head, the other like's he ready to throw a sucker punch. They should have used that one. Probably my favorite of all those modeling shots.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:30 am

Actually the best ones are the ones without the karate poses.
If in fact he would have dedicated all the karate time wasted into studio time, we may have had another "From Elvis In Memphis" type quality LP.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:39 pm

again like On Tour Elvis did not have a tan in these pics. Not a lot of people look good with a pale complexion. if he had been tanned up no one would complain.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:51 pm

It seems very likely Ed Bonja took these photos, if you catch my drift.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It seems very likely Ed Bonja took these photos, if you catch my drift.



He did, in fact, take these pictures. That's one thing about the photo session I do know.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:59 pm

question.....those pics with the Cisco kid suit?(one of them on the backside of the he touched me ftd)...a different shoot aim sure.......but:where they made for the same purpose....and where and when?...I think they are from 1971...and Elvis looks great there.....other than here.

Re: 1972 Jumpsuit Modeling Dates?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:06 am

I always and likely erroneously assumed they were for the directors of EOT so they new what he would wear.