Post here your Elvis' pictures

Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:09 am

Never seen this one before.


690731_Petula Clark_Claude Wolff.JPG
Petula Clark & Husband At Elvis Presley Show
British singer Petula Clark and her husband, French music agent Claude Wolff pose together in the lobby of the International Hotel at the opening of a series of Elvis Presley concerts, Las Vegas, Nevada, late July 1969. Presley performed 57 shows, usually two a day, between July 31 and August 28, at the newly opened hotel. (Photo by Fotos International/Getty Images)
Date created: 01 Aug 1969
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/british-singer-petula-clark-and-her-husband-french-music-news-photo/86435496
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:04 am

Great find Doc! Thanks again!

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Did they meet at some point I wonder?

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Tony.. wrote:Did they meet at some point I wonder?


Yes, it's been documented in several books.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 pm

I love it, and see it for the first time ! Thanks John.
Petula was extremely popular here in France in the sixties. She sang fine french versions of some Elvis songs like A Fool Such As I (1959, Prends Mon Coeur) or Gently ( 1961, Jolie, dedicated to her daughter). She even paid tribute to him in 1978 with the song Il Ne Chantera Plus Jamais ( He won't sing anymore). She loved Elvis dearly : I remember for example in december 1963, when invited at radio station Europe 1, she asked for listening to Silent Night by Elvis.
And yes, she saw Elvis backstage in Vegas, but she says she found he was in a very "flirting mood" !
Anyway, Petula is a real fan.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:36 pm

FRENCHGUY wrote:And yes, she saw Elvis backstage in Vegas, but she says she found he was in a very "flirting mood" !


This was not in 1969, but circa 1973.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

Sorry, but you're wrong John. No one is infallible, even if one's ambition is to elevate discourse...

Petula saw Elvis twice: in 1969 and circa 1976. In 2007, she was interviewed for the french mag Elvis My Happiness (in which I use to write since years). She told what happened backstage in 1969 :
"It was the first time and it was fantastic. He was in best shape. I met him backstage with my good friend Karen Carpenter. He knew we were at the show and he presented us to the audience. After the show we could meet him (her french husband didn't go with her backstage) and he was absolutely gorgeous. At the very end, we were sort of alone with him. He was so charming... He really was charming us, so I felt something was gonna happen and I told Karen that we better leave...Karen was young at the time, she was at the very beginning of her career (as The Carpenters), she was inexperienced...But I have to say it again, he was gorgeous !"
When she saw him for the second time, it was completely different. Again she went backstage. But Elvis was in a bad shape and she was shocked. She didn't stay more than 10 minutes and was very sad. Her final comments : "so many people were around him and nobody seemed to care...it was awful !"

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:19 am

FRENCHGUY wrote:Sorry, but you're wrong John. No one is infallible, even if one's ambition is to elevate discourse...

Petula saw Elvis twice: in 1969 and circa 1976.


Actually, you're doubly mistaken, "FRENCHGUY."

First of all, Petula Clark is heard being introduced by Elvis at the 8-06-1973 OS.

And again, the incident you bring up didn't happen in 1969. Your unsourced Clark anecdote is circa 1973. One needs to use common sense, and understand history, when reading such stories.

Offering, the Carpenters first LP, did not come out until October 1969, and it was a flop. Their first single, "Ticket to Ride," didn't begin to touch the pop charts until February 1970, and failed to make much of an impact.

No one knew who Karen Carpenter was in August 1969, and she would not have been hanging out with Petula Clark that summer. The Carpenters achieved their first #1 hit, "(They Long to Be) Close to You," in July 1970.

Hope I elevated you a bit. ;-)

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 am

Very nice, new to me also. I didn't know she was at Opening Night.

Here is another variation on her memory of Elvis.

“The last time I saw him was not so nice because it was near the end and that was really very sad. I went to see the show and he could hardly sing. Most of the singing was being done by his back-up group. I mean, he had it down pretty pat. He knew the things he just couldn’t sing anymore so it was all carefully worked out that it didn’t look too bad. “He was very, very overweight. I went backstage afterwards and he came in and he was kind of out of it, frankly. I hate to say it but he wasn’t there anymore. Everybody was saying: ‘Fantastic, Elvis, fantastic!’ and it wasn’t. I just didn’t know what to say to him any more and I just gave him a kiss and said goodbye. It was not a happy goodbye at all.”

Just years earlier, Clark recalls, the King had tried to seduce both she and her friend, the late Karen Carpenter. She reveals: “We were just doing sort of a girls night out and we went to see him and we went backstage, of course, and we had a very nice time with him. Little by little all of his chums and, you know, hangers-on disappeared from the dressing room and it was just Elvis, Karen and myself.
“After awhile I realized that Elvis was coming on quite heavily to both of us. Karen was very innocent, at the time anyway, and I was sort of like the older sister. I said, ‘Karen, we’ve got to get out of here’ and she said, ‘What?’ and I said, ‘Come on, we’re leaving Karen.’ “So eventually I more or less dragged her out. Elvis looked a bit downtrodden by this. He wanted us both. And that was my first meeting with Elvis.”


http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_petulaclark.html

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:19 am

Petula2.jpg


Aaaah John, and I'm doubly sorry for you !
Actually, I hate that "I know it all" thing ...I simply try to shed a light on something with facts. You haven't elevate me (lol), I fear you have humbled yourself this time.
My story isn't an unsourced anecdote, it's what Petula told us during an interview in 2007. But maybe you know it better than Petula herself ?
If you read french John, here is one page of that interview . Maybe you'll learn much more about the subject. And yes, Petula says for example that Karen Carpenter was at the very beginning of her career and that she was unknown at that time...
Thanks Julian for confirming my sayings with your input.

Guy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Perhaps there was a third show - '70 or something, because the opening night show was invitation-only. If she came with her husband, he was her guest. Karen could not have been there at that time. And if it was a "girls night out," no hubby.

If she didn't mention Karen, there'd be no problem. When did she meet Karen Carpenter? Because she says "he presented US to the audience." On opening night, no one knew who she was yet. He could not have done that on that night. Perhaps another time. Sometimes people "accordian" their memories. Perfectly normal.

rjm

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm

I have to back up the Doc, and others here for one simple reason.

The photo is of Petula and her husband. She describes a girls night out, and just her, Karen and Elvis together in his dressing room. That has to be a different night, as obviously her husband is with her, Karen isn't anywhere to be seen in the photo, and her husband would surely have gone to meet Elvis too?!

That's not to say the night in Elvis dressing room was 1973, but it does prove that it wasn't at opening night. Perhaps Karen and Petula went to see a show later that month in 1969, who knows, but it wasn't opening night.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Maybe Petula Clark was friends with Karen Carpenter when she was an up and comer and they went to see Elvis in 1969.

Though it seems evident that Karen wasn't there for opening night.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for the common sense replies.

If a tape surfaces where Elvis introduces Karen and Petula, we will have a firm date.

But it certainly won't be from July-August 1969. Karen Carpenter had not yet become a celebrity.


rjm wrote:Perhaps there was a third show - '70 or something, because the opening night show was invitation-only. If she came with her husband, he was her guest. Karen could not have been there at that time. And if it was a "girls night out," no hubby.

If she didn't mention Karen, there'd be no problem. When did she meet Karen Carpenter? Because she says "he presented US to the audience." On opening night, no one knew who she was yet. He could not have done that on that night. Perhaps another time. Sometimes people "accordion" their memories. Perfectly normal.

DarrylMac wrote:I have to back up the Doc, and others here for one simple reason.

The photo is of Petula and her husband. She describes a girls night out, and just her, Karen and Elvis together in his dressing room. That has to be a different night, as obviously her husband is with her, Karen isn't anywhere to be seen in the photo, and her husband would surely have gone to meet Elvis too?!

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Just a comment for interest sake - Petula was on BBC's One Show the other night. She mentioned that she had been invited to star in a film with Elvis, BUT, her husband refused to allow it to go ahead, so she turned the offer down.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:02 pm

archdeak wrote:Just a comment for interest sake - Petula was on BBC's One Show the other night. She mentioned that she had been invited to star in a film with Elvis, BUT, her husband refused to allow it to go ahead, so she turned the offer down.

That was Speedway, wasn't it?

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:56 pm

egilj wrote:
archdeak wrote:Just a comment for interest sake - Petula was on BBC's One Show the other night. She mentioned that she had been invited to star in a film with Elvis, BUT, her husband refused to allow it to go ahead, so she turned the offer down.


That was Speedway, wasn't it?


Yup. It's unclear if Clark refused the offer because of her hubby, though.


020801_Silver Screen Icon p123.JPG
Steve Templeton, Yvonne Craig, Elvis Presley: Silver Screen Icon (Johnson City: The Overmountain Press, August 1, 2002)


Petula did miss out, though.


680600_Speedway_Belgian poster.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for the common sense replies.

If a tape surfaces where Elvis introduces Karen and Petula, we will have a firm date.

But it certainly won't be from July-August 1969. Karen Carpenter had not yet become a celebrity.


rjm wrote:Perhaps there was a third show - '70 or something, because the opening night show was invitation-only. If she came with her husband, he was her guest. Karen could not have been there at that time. And if it was a "girls night out," no hubby.

If she didn't mention Karen, there'd be no problem. When did she meet Karen Carpenter? Because she says "he presented US to the audience." On opening night, no one knew who she was yet. He could not have done that on that night. Perhaps another time. Sometimes people "accordion" their memories. Perfectly normal.

DarrylMac wrote:I have to back up the Doc, and others here for one simple reason.

The photo is of Petula and her husband. She describes a girls night out, and just her, Karen and Elvis together in his dressing room. That has to be a different night, as obviously her husband is with her, Karen isn't anywhere to be seen in the photo, and her husband would surely have gone to meet Elvis too?!


http://youtu.be/Qmk7Nhna7ME

Richard and Karen sent their demo tapes to many record labels until A&M Records' co-owner and trumpeter/vocalist Herb Alpert (who happened to be a friend of a friend of their mother's) became attracted to their distinct sound.
[edit]Carpenters (1969–1983)

Richard and Karen Carpenter signed to A&M Records on April 22, 1969, under the name "Carpenters". Since Karen was technically underage (she was 19 at the time), her parents had to co-sign for her.[10][26] Richard and Karen had decided to sign as "Carpenters", without the definite article. In the album notes for their 2004 release, Carpenters Gold: 35th Anniversary Edition, Richard stated:
After much thought, we decided to name the act "Carpenters" (No "The"; we thought it sounded hipper without it, like Buffalo Springfield or Jefferson Airplane.)[1]
[edit]Offering (Ticket to Ride) (1969)
When Richard and Karen Carpenter signed to A&M Records, they were given carte blanche in the recording studio.[8] Their debut album, entitled Offering released in 1969, featured a number of songs that Richard had written or co-written during their Spectrum period.[27] A ballad rendition of The Beatles hit "Ticket to Ride" became a minor hit for Carpenters, peaking at No. 54 on the Billboard Hot 100 and the Top 20 of the Adult Contemporary chart.[28] In an effort to cash in on the success of that track, Offering was repackaged with a different cover under the name Ticket to Ride in 1970.-wikipedia excerpt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:18 pm

phpBB [video]


Carpenters "Ticket To Ride" ("Your All-American College Show," Monday, December 1, 1969)
Syndicated talent contest program, which ran from 1968-1970.
Guest host: Arthur Godfrey, with guest Ed Sullivan.


This clip may be their first TV appearance after they signed with A&M and issued the Offerings LP.

It also goes to show that a group trying to win a talent contest in December 1969 aren't likely to be ushered backstage at the International Hotel as stars in August 1969.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
phpBB [video]


Carpenters "Ticket To Ride" ("Your All-American College Show," Monday, December 1, 1969)
Syndicated talent contest program, which ran from 1968-1970.
Guest host: Arthur Godfrey, with guest Ed Sullivan.


This clip may be their first TV appearance after they signed with A&M and issued the Offerings LP.

It also goes to show that a group trying to win a talent contest in December 1969 aren't likely to be ushered backstage at the International Hotel as stars in August 1969.


With Herb Alpert letting people know about them, and the exposure from the show on YouTube with Arthur Godfrey and Ed Sullivan etc, it's very possible. 8)
Last edited by ian on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 pm

ian wrote:With Herb Alpert letting people know about them, and the exposure from the show on YouTube featuring Arthur Godfrey and Ed Sullivan etc, it's very possible. 8)


What is the point you are trying to make here?

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:With Herb Alpert letting people know about them, and the exposure from the show on YouTube featuring Arthur Godfrey and Ed Sullivan etc, it's very possible. 8)


What is the point you are trying to make here?


I thought that you were saying there was no chance that Karen met Elvis backstage because of her not being a well known celebrity.:facep: I may need a prescription to unclog my brain!? :lol:

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 am

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:With Herb Alpert letting people know about them, and the exposure from the show on YouTube featuring Arthur Godfrey and Ed Sullivan etc, it's very possible. 8)


What is the point you are trying to make here?


I thought that you were saying there was no chance that Karen met Elvis backstage because of her not being a well known celebrity.


Yes, that is my point in regards to the Petula Clark flirting story and August 1969.

Again, what is your point?

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ian wrote:With Herb Alpert letting people know about them, and the exposure from the show on YouTube featuring Arthur Godfrey and Ed Sullivan etc, it's very possible. 8)


What is the point you are trying to make here?


I thought that you were saying there was no chance that Karen met Elvis backstage because of her not being a well known celebrity.


Yes, that is my point in regards to the Petula Clark flirting story and August 1969.

Again, what is your point?


Back off big mouth(ego)! :lol: My point is, she could have been backstage meeting Elvis, so what's the big deal dude!!!!! 8)

Re: Petula Clark at Opening Night 1969

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 am

ian wrote:Back off big mouth(ego)! :lol: My point is, she could have been backstage meeting Elvis, so what's the big deal dude!!!!! 8)


Thanks.