Post here your Elvis' pictures

Mobile 75 candids?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:40 pm

They certainly look like that: it's as if Elvis is arriving to his hotel from his matinee show, and then leaving for his evening show. The wall of the hotel seems to be same, and the suits would fit this scenario also. What do you think?

mobile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Mobile 75 candids?

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Yep wouldn't argue with that Scott. The attire fits the shows and, like you say, the building looks the same. Good rare candids by the way, where did you get them? ::rocks

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:13 pm

Very nice Scott,thanks for sharing

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:34 am

Thankyou! I have not seen these!

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:16 am

Never seen these before, thanks so much for posting.

I´m gonna argue just a little bit with the dating, just for the sake of it :wink:
The photos are definitely from the same venue and also definitely from the May/June 1975 tour.
However, I think both photos look pretty dark and I would think that after an afternoon show it would still be much lighter in June.
So there are at least two more possibilities.
If from two evening shows the photos could be from Houston, June 4 & 5, 1975 and if actually from an afternoon and evening show they could also be from Shreveport, June 7, 1975.

Do you have other information that supports the Mobile, June 2, 1975 date?

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:50 am

bripet56 wrote:Never seen these before, thanks so much for posting.

I´m gonna argue just a little bit with the dating, just for the sake of it :wink:
The photos are definitely from the same venue and also definitely from the May/June 1975 tour.
However, I think both photos look pretty dark and I would think that after an afternoon show it would still be much lighter in June.
If from two evening shows the photos could be from Houston, June 4 & 5, 1975 and if actually from an afternoon and evening show they could also be from Shreveport, June 7, 1975.

You're welcome! :)
Mobile was just my first guess, so you're right in that these could be from either Houston or Shreveport, too. We just need determine what the hotels looked like in those cities in order to definitely nail the date. :)

I do think Houston is out, because he's clearly coming back to the hotel after the show and it's still light out. I'm actually starting to lean on Shreveport now... :)

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for posting those pictures. I was there for the first show if that's Mobile.

I'm not really sure it's Mobile though. I believe in '75 he stayed in the Sheraton
Hotel, which is now a Holiday Inn. It's unique to Mobile as the hotel is a round
type shape. I didn't see those type windows at the Sheraton. One could do a
more researched look by using Google Street View Maps. I looked all the way
around it, didn't see those shaped windows. Suppose it could have changed,
but I doubt it.

When doing the search with Google Maps, before you get to street view you'll
see another larger round shaped building. That's the Civic Center to where he
played to over 10,500 screaming fans twice that June 2, 1975 night.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Nice find Scott.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 pm

iplayastrat wrote:Thanks for posting those pictures. I was there for the first show if that's Mobile.

I'm not really sure it's Mobile though. I believe in '75 he stayed in the Sheraton
Hotel, which is now a Holiday Inn. It's unique to Mobile as the hotel is a round
type shape. I didn't see those type windows at the Sheraton.

According to Lee Cotten's book, "Elvis stayed at the Battleship Inn while the rest of the troupe occupied the Holiday Inn"?

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 pm

This kind of candids are the ones i love the most.
Thank you for sharing

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 am

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

I don't hink these will help to determine the date, but you never know...

The link below has 2 photos from June 5, 1975

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 575bs.html

The link below is from June 7, 1975

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 775bs.html

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:According to Lee Cotten's book, "Elvis stayed at the Battleship Inn while the rest of the troupe occupied the Holiday Inn"?

I wish I could remember the details better. Someone told us that's where
he was staying. It possibly might have been '76 or '77 when he was at the
Sheraton.

One of our neighbors was a policeman and he worked security on some of
Elvis' concerts in Mobile.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:57 pm

paulsweeney wrote:

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

I don't hink these will help to determine the date, but you never know...

The link below has 2 photos from June 5, 1975

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 575bs.html

The link below is from June 7, 1975

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 775bs.html

Yeah, I tried to find something to compare with in those photos but I couldn´t find anything.
The best way would probably be to find that specific building or if the policeman´s uniform in the second photo can help us.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm

The second link that Paul put on from Shreveport : http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 775bs.html isn't Joe wearing the same clothes as the above photos? Difficult to tell but I think he is, if he is then it's Shreveport

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Hello,

the day I saw these pictures on ebay I saved a third one with the same red background. Maybe it belongs to the others, and is from when Elvis headed to the afternoon show. Maybe this helps identifying the date:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 pm

AlohaEagle wrote:The second link that Paul put on from Shreveport : http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 775bs.html isn't Joe wearing the same clothes as the above photos? Difficult to tell but I think he is, if he is then it's Shreveport

Yes, it seems to be the same blue shirt

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Tomcat wrote:Hello,

the day I saw these pictures on ebay I saved a third one with the same red background. Maybe it belongs to the others, and is from when Elvis headed to the afternoon show. Maybe this helps identifying the date:

Thanks for the third photo Tomcat

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:37 pm