Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Lexie1973
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Kansas City, 1977

Post by Lexie1973 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lexie1973 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is a gross parody by Hodge pretending to be a homosexual man attracted to the singer, .
Do you have proof Charlie is actually pretending to be a homosexual man??? For all I know he could be pretending to be the girl the singer of the song is singing to.
That was funny.
Not an answer to my question, but okay...

I do have gay friends. We're making jokes about that all the time, even when I am 'straight like an arrow' :D . They take no offence in this joking around. For their part they're making fun of me about not having one single hair left on my head. That's how those things go. We give a little and take a little. No need to take things too seriously. I believe this act of Elvis and mostly Charlie can be seen like this also....

Alex

Phoenix78
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Phoenix78 »

I guess it's who you're talking to concerning this subject. I am gay and I really don't give a sh*t who knows. But for a long time, I couldn't even admit it to myself. Well, I've changed over the years(as far as my outlook goes). If u saw me, you'd never guess....that's just me. I don't deny who I am, but at the same time, I'm not like "hey, how are you? I'm gay." But even now, there's still times when I do feel a bit uncomfortable. You get these so-called manly men who just don't know when to shut up. They run into a guy like me and it totally messes with their mindset. (I live in KY, so let's just say it's more prevalent here) So, here's a guy, 6'3'', 240 lbs and carries himself like one of "their own" and he's gay? Yeah, and 9 times out of 10 this "homo" will drop you where you stand. But, usually, it doesn't really bother me much. I've learned to take a lot of things in stride unless it really hits a nerve. The Elvis and Charlie thing is something that me personally doesn't bother me. I love having a laugh just as much as the next guy and if it's at my expense, it's cool. For me, it get's serious when they cross that line and make it personal. But, I don't get that vibe from Elvis. To me, it's having a bit of fun and as usual, Elvis doesn't let it go too far. (and that's HUGE in terms of respect considering those times) Maybe it's just me, but I always got Elvis' sense of humor. It just never offended me. (now I can't say the same for the "comedy" portion of the shows because that subject was ALWAYS part of Jackie's act and he seemed to really push it a bit far just to get a laugh from a then partisan crowd.) But Elvis, no. Just my 2 cents guys and gals. Take it easy - Mike

"Today's "Science Fiction" is tomorrow's REALITY."
- Myself

A. C. van Kuijk
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by A. C. van Kuijk »

To me this "gay routine" is not offensive, but simply not funny.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I am not gay, but I am willing to learn.

Would they send me someplace special for that?

eligain
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Post by eligain »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:Why does it have to be that Charlie is pretending to be a homosexual< How do we not know he not is just having fun pretending he is a woman.?
Flip Wilson did those exact same mannerisms when he portrayed Geraldine in the 70's.
Actually, no. "Geraldine Jones," Flip Wilson's famous character, was a portrayal of "a sassy, modern woman who had a boyfriend named Killer (who, when not in prison, was at the pool hall)." There was no sexual overtones in his characterization of Jones, and no "come on" to other men in any of the program's sketches.

The Flip Wilson Show
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flip_Wilson_Show

Yes, maybe Hodge is "having fun pretending he is a woman." And what we know is his woman is coming on to Elvis. THAT is comedy gold!
promiseland wrote:Elvis intentionally making fun of gays in concert just about takes the cake on FECC. :roll:
Maybe Elvis was just accidentally making fun of gay people in concert.
Wait a minute. Elvis is reacting to Charlie acting like a girl; How is that (even accidentally) making fun of gay people?

There actually is a moment were I believe Elvis was being inappropriate concerning someone who is gay and that was a concert where Elton John's name was mentioned and Elvis responds with a lisp. I don't know which concert it was or what year but I'm guessing 74 or later.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

eligain wrote:Wait a minute. Elvis is reacting to Charlie acting like a girl; How is that (even accidentally) making fun of gay people?
This is a wind-up, right?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Phoenix78
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by Phoenix78 »

Rob wrote:I am not gay, but I am willing to learn.

Would they send me someplace special for that?
:? ...well, I guess it would depend on what you were interested in learning Rob :)

"Today's "Science Fiction" is tomorrow's REALITY."
- Myself