Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Kansas City, 1977

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:56 am

Robert wrote:... you clearly got signs this part of Elvis' act was not appropriate.

Yup. And so did Elvis. Check out the 1977 CBS tapes of the 6-19 and 6-21 performances of the song.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:39 am

ekenee wrote:He was not making fun of gays.

He was paradoying the song itself.

He always found a way to joke his way thru the song from 1961 to 1968 to 1970 to 1977.

Context.

No one complained then.

But different people do have different sensibilities and so, perhaps it was best to axe the act in 1977 based

on the fact that some people could misunderstand the humor.

But the real reason for not including the act is probably the way it looks to the public that an actual person is holding a mic up to his face,
when a metal mic stand would have sufficed. People would've noticed that more than anything else.

Nice to see some sanity in this debate.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 am

I guess Elvis' audience (white, christian housewifes in their late 30s and early 40s) thought it was funny.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 pm

ekenee wrote:
But the real reason for not including the act is probably the way it looks to the public that an actual person is holding a mic up to his face,
when a metal mic stand would have sufficed. People would've noticed that more than anything else.

Bingo!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:04 am

rickeap wrote:Nice to see some sanity in this debate.

Nice to see your passive-aggressive posting style remains unchanged. ;-)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:Nice to see some sanity in this debate.

Nice to see your passive-aggressive posting style remains unchanged. ;-)

And nor has your style.

I was simply agreeing with the the logical comments made by Ekenee.
I agree that Charlie holding the microphone was the main problem, not some light-hearted humour injected into the routine.
I don't think we need to over-react to it in another era.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:28 am

It appears the video posted here has been edited. That song isn't there. YouTube videos can be edited on the site.

So I have only heard rumors of what they did. I would like to know. Perhaps someone could find a complete clip of that song. It's not there.

All I see is Charlie holding the mike. Which is weird, but not what I heard. (Update: saw it. It was just stupid. Charlie did some dumb things and Elvis laughed. )

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by rjm on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Robert wrote:
ekenee wrote:

Bingo!

AND BINGO!!! Forget the gay act, Why did Elvis need Charlie to hold the mic for him? It looks sycophantic and just plain weird. Same with Unchained Melody.

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Jokerlola wrote:
Robert wrote:
ekenee wrote:

Bingo!

AND BINGO!!! Forget the gay act, Why did Elvis need Charlie to hold the mic for him? It looks sycophantic and just plain weird. Same with Unchained Melody.

It's sycophantic, weird and JUST PLAIN UNPROFESSIONAL!!!!

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:53 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:I guess Elvis' audience (white, christian housewifes in their late 30s and early 40s) thought it was funny.

I'd love to hear the sound of Eddie Murphy's laugh at that one!!!

One should avoid overgeneralizing.

On the other hand, Elvis-fan Eddie also did some genuinely homophobic humor, but he stopped.

With regards to the obvious symbolism of pointing that mic the way he did, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish homophobic from just-sexual humor. (Remember in the TTWII rehearsals where Elvis gulps the microphone? And laughs like crazy? He was pretty worldly.)

And the movie mags in the 60s used to question HIS sexuality. And he WAS a southern "Dandy." They are NOT gay, btw. But high school must have been . . . something for him. ) I would need to see the song in question, though.

rjm (found it; Charlie preens and acts "feminine" -- Elvis finds this funny. It's just a stupid thing. But there was a time when Elvis sarcastically kissed him for some creepy movie mag reporters, according to Sandi Miller.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:59 am

i don't understand, is holding mike (which is weird ) considered gay act?? and regarding are you lonesome tonight act, what was the offensive in it?? why all the drama!!!

Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:24 am

The Seventies was a different time. Sure, Charlie is acting like he's responding to the song, if he's acting gay I don't know, he's acting like a woman anyway. But the audiences liked it, it was f u n n y.
But these were the days when humor was still permitted, remember All In The Family and Sanford and Son? None of that political correctness sh*t and bloody funny. That's why these days 'comedy' shows are not funny anymore, you can't say anything that would offend anyone, for crying out loud, that's the way to kill comedy.

In the Seventies blacks and hispanics used to laugh at Archie making fun of stereotypes and whites used to laugh at Sanford making fun of white stereotypes. Yes those were the days that you could actually laugh watching comedy. These days.......yawnnnnnnnnnn. But hey it's PC, and that's all that matters, yawnnnnnnnn.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:24 pm

yaso wrote:why all the drama!!!

Because this is FECC and we like drama here. We like gay people, too.

Welcome.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:14 am

Simon1 wrote:The Seventies was a different time. Sure, Charlie is acting like he's responding to the song, if he's acting gay I don't know, he's acting like a woman anyway. But the audiences liked it, it was f u n n y.
But these were the days when humor was still permitted, remember All In The Family and Sanford and Son? None of that political correctness sh*t and bloody funny. That's why these days 'comedy' shows are not funny anymore, you can't say anything that would offend anyone, for crying out loud, that's the way to kill comedy.

In the Seventies blacks and hispanics used to laugh at Archie making fun of stereotypes and whites used to laugh at Sanford making fun of white stereotypes. Yes those were the days that you could actually laugh watching comedy. These days.......yawnnnnnnnnnn. But hey it's PC, and that's all that matters, yawnnnnnnnn.

We didn't know you were a cultural historian. Please, don't hold back in future posts. ;-)

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:22 am

yaso wrote:i don't understand, is holding mike (which is weird ) considered gay act?? and regarding are you lonesome tonight act, what was the offensive in it?? why all the drama!!!

The discussion is not about holding the mic, but all the effeminate mannerisms that Charlie Hodge makes during the song's monologue.

It is a gross parody by Hodge pretending to be a homosexual man attracted to the singer, and it not only ruins the performance of "Are You Lonesome To-night?" but also demeans any person watching it who may consider themselves a gay person.

Although times have changed since 1977, the hatred and violence suffered by this group continues to this day. Suffice it to say, the clip from Kansas City serves to show how far off the track Elvis had gotten in his live performances.

Hope this helps explain "all the drama!!!" for you.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:The Seventies was a different time. Sure, Charlie is acting like he's responding to the song, if he's acting gay I don't know, he's acting like a woman anyway. But the audiences liked it, it was f u n n y.

We didn't know you were a cultural historian. Please, don't hold back in future posts. ;-)

Trust me, I won't ;) The facts need to be told to some of the youngsters over here.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Simon1 wrote:Trust me, I won't ;) The facts need to be told to some of the youngsters over here.

Cool. Can you let us know when this will begin? I love facts. ;-)

Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:19 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It is a gross parody by Hodge pretending to be a homosexual man attracted to the singer,

Do you have proof Charlie is actually pretending to be a homosexual man??? For all I know he could be pretending to be the girl the singer of the song is singing to.

The way you explain the whole act might be telling more about what is going on in your mind Doc..... :wink:

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:Trust me, I won't ;) The facts need to be told to some of the youngsters over here.

Oh I already stated lots of them, in your case it's not wishing to see them. ;)

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:39 am

Lexie1973 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It is a gross parody by Hodge pretending to be a homosexual man attracted to the singer, .

Do you have proof Charlie is actually pretending to be a homosexual man??? For all I know he could be pretending to be the girl the singer of the song is singing to.

That was funny.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:40 am

Simon1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Oh I already stated lots of them, in your case it's not wishing to see them. ;)

Sorry, you've offered exactly none to date on this topic. Soon?

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 am

Why does it have to be that Charlie is pretending to be a homosexual< How do we not know he not is just having fun pretending he is a woman.?
Flip Wilson did those exact same mannerisms when he portrayed Geraldine in the 70's.
Elvis intentionally making fun of gays in concert just about takes the cake on FECC. :roll:

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:59 am

promiseland wrote:Why does it have to be that Charlie is pretending to be a homosexual< How do we not know he not is just having fun pretending he is a woman.?
Flip Wilson did those exact same mannerisms when he portrayed Geraldine in the 70's.

Actually, no. "Geraldine Jones," Flip Wilson's famous character, was a portrayal of "a sassy, modern woman who had a boyfriend named Killer (who, when not in prison, was at the pool hall)." There was no sexual overtones in his characterization of Jones, and no "come on" to other men in any of the program's sketches.

The Flip Wilson Show
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flip_Wilson_Show

Yes, maybe Hodge is "having fun pretending he is a woman." And what we know is his woman is coming on to Elvis. THAT is comedy gold!

promiseland wrote:Elvis intentionally making fun of gays in concert just about takes the cake on FECC. :roll:

Maybe Elvis was just accidentally making fun of gay people in concert.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:Why does it have to be that Charlie is pretending to be a homosexual< How do we not know he not is just having fun pretending he is a woman.?

Actually, no. "Geraldine Jones," Flip Wilson's famous character, was a portrayal of "a sassy, modern woman who had a boyfriend named Killer (who, when not in prison, was at the pool hall)." There was no sexual overtones in his characterization of Jones, and no "come on" to other men in any of the program's sketches.

The Flip Wilson Show
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flip_Wilson_Show

Yes, maybe Hodge is "having fun pretending he is a woman." And what we know is his woman is coming on to Elvis. THAT is comedy gold!

promiseland wrote:Elvis intentionally making fun of gays in concert just about takes the cake on FECC. :roll:

Maybe Elvis was just accidentally making fun of gay people in concert.

Now I can agree to that! :wink:

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Erik van den Berg wrote:I have gay friends and would never say a bad thing to make myself more clear. A joke is a joke and its what people make out of it. Please dont mis understand me doc!!! Its clear humor is something subjective... thats a good thing as long as you dont hurt someone!!!

Right. And the gay parody that Elvis presented to his fans was hurtful and demeaning to gay people.

If you don't think so, run the Kansas City '77 clip for your gay friends and ask them if they find it funny.

First of all this reminds me more of Vegas schtick then anything else. I don't like it mainly because of the synchophantic role Charlie plays holding the mic for Elvis but was it offensive and demeaning to gay people? I don't know I'm not gay but Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra were doing bits like this on TV around that time. So was Johnny Carson and there are bits something like this even now on TV.

Is this offensive to gays?:
phpBB [video]

Is this?:
phpBB [video]

How bout this?:
phpBB [video]

Last edited by eligain on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.