1970 Forum

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator4

1970 Forum

Postby The fool » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:01 am

Well, there ain't nothing wrong with the long-haired music like Brahms, Beethoven and Elvis.

Great photo. From a DeAgostini magazine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
The fool
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Finland
Likes given: 473 total
Likes received: 2162 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby drjohncarpenter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:14 am

Man, he really did need to go visit Jim's Barber Shop on South Main Street.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Posts: 87839
Age: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Likes given: 9005 total
Likes received: 16438 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby The fool » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Man, he really did need to go visit Jim's Barber Shop on South Main Street.

But he did visit them in early 1970, right before this photo (also from DeAgostini) was taken. Jim was out, though. Elvis was disappointed. He needed more than "just tell him Jim said hello".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
The fool
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Finland
Likes given: 473 total
Likes received: 2162 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby elvisa » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:44 am

>Not too pretty,But it was fashion at the time.....the longer the better, he did no worse than most others at the time......
" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "
User avatar
elvisa
Offline
 
Posts: 3315
Age: 55
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:05 pm
Location: Denmark
Likes given: 271 total
Likes received: 116 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby The fool » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:53 am

elvisa wrote:>Not too pretty

I disagree. I like it. Was this his way of rebelling against his movie years image? It would be nice to think so, but I don´t think so. He changed his hairstyle many times during the 60s. But maybe it had something to do with it. Who knows?
User avatar
The fool
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Finland
Likes given: 473 total
Likes received: 2162 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby drjohncarpenter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:57 am

The fool wrote:
elvisa wrote:>Not too pretty


I disagree. I like it. Was this his way of rebelling against his movie years image? It would be nice to think so, but I don´t think so. He changed his hairstyle many times during the 60s. But maybe it had something to do with it. Who knows?


Rebellion, or laziness? That is the question.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Posts: 87839
Age: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Likes given: 9005 total
Likes received: 16438 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby The fool » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rebellion, or laziness? That is the question.

Elvis lazy in 1970? No way, and you know it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
The fool
Offline
 
Topic author
Posts: 3112
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Finland
Likes given: 473 total
Likes received: 2162 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby drjohncarpenter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:26 am

The fool wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Rebellion, or laziness? That is the question.


Elvis lazy in 1970? No way, and you know it.


I guess you answered the question. ;-)
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Posts: 87839
Age: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Likes given: 9005 total
Likes received: 16438 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby ian » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The fool wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Rebellion, or laziness? That is the question.


Elvis lazy in 1970? No way, and you know it.


I guess you answered the question. ;-)


We are so fortunate to have the good Doc with us! 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ian"elvis"anderson
User avatar
ian
Offline
 
Posts: 2477
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:53 am
Likes given: 400 total
Likes received: 64 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby rjm » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The fool wrote:
elvisa wrote:>Not too pretty


I disagree. I like it. Was this his way of rebelling against his movie years image? It would be nice to think so, but I don´t think so. He changed his hairstyle many times during the 60s. But maybe it had something to do with it. Who knows?


Rebellion, or laziness? That is the question.


I think that was the whole point of guys not cutting their hair at the time. A guy has to make an extra effort to look a certain traditional way, and if they just didn't do it, well, there was the hair. And so they could "rebel" by just not doing something.

I guess. Anyway, I remember this song from WAY back!



"My hair is afright."

Elvis: "Does your hair look afright?" (1968)

rjm
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64
User avatar
rjm
Offline
 
Posts: 11089
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:48 pm
Location: Cali
Likes given: 2822 total
Likes received: 1047 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby Honky Tonk Angel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:24 pm

The fool wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Man, he really did need to go visit Jim's Barber Shop on South Main Street.

But he did visit them in early 1970, right before this photo (also from DeAgostini) was taken. Jim was out, though. Elvis was disappointed. He needed more than "just tell him Jim said hello".




:smt005
Funny, made me laugh :D
User avatar
Honky Tonk Angel
Offline
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 3:41 pm
Likes given: 5 total
Likes received: 17 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby karlos » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:52 pm

The fool wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rebellion, or laziness? That is the question.

Elvis lazy in 1970? No way, and you know it.


Brilliant Pic - Lov It - Ty 4 sharing - Grt pic from '70
Elvis looked cool during this era -Amen -
karlos
Offline
 
Posts: 3063
Age: 53
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:56 pm
Location: OVER THE RIVER
Likes given: 986 total
Likes received: 278 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby jinjoe » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks The Fool for a great pic
User avatar
jinjoe
Offline
 
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:49 am
Location: UK
Likes given: 8 total
Likes received: 8 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby rlj4ep » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:22 am

Yes, that was the way men, especially in rock music, were wearing thier hair in 1970. But, I've always thought of Elvis as starting trends rather than following them. IMHO, a trip to the barber was in order. :wink:

rlj
rlj4ep
Offline
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:44 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA
Likes given: 2502 total
Likes received: 1201 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby Tony Trout » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Speaking of trips to the barber shop, what made Elvis grow his sideburns back? He had said in an early 1960s press conference that he didn't miss them (when a reporter asked him about missing his sideburns).
Sincerely,
Tony Lee Trout
User avatar
Tony Trout
Offline
 
Posts: 4646
Age: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:13 pm
Location: Brasstown/Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
Likes given: 308 total
Likes received: 235 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby drjohncarpenter » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Tony Trout wrote:Speaking of trips to the barber shop, what made Elvis grow his sideburns back? He had said in an early 1960s press conference that he didn't miss them (when a reporter asked him about missing his sideburns).


They had become fashionable.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Posts: 87839
Age: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Likes given: 9005 total
Likes received: 16438 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby Jokerlola » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 pm

When it came to Elvis's hair in the 70's he was following fashion instead of creating it. Shaggy hair and "mutton chops" became fashionable in the late 60's and Elvis followed the trend. If I remember hearing it right, Elvis showed up with pomade in his hair for "Change Of Habit" and the director told him to wash it out and wear his hair dry and shaggy and Elvis never went back to the pomade after that (or whatever hair cream he used).
User avatar
Jokerlola
Offline
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:52 am
Likes given: 6 total
Likes received: 25 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby drjohncarpenter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Jokerlola wrote:When it came to Elvis's hair in the 70's he was following fashion instead of creating it. Shaggy hair and "mutton chops" became fashionable in the late 60's and Elvis followed the trend. If I remember hearing it right, Elvis showed up with pomade in his hair for "Change Of Habit" and the director told him to wash it out and wear his hair dry and shaggy and Elvis never went back to the pomade after that (or whatever hair cream he used).


That's incorrect. The story goes that he took Priscilla's advice to style his hair more along the lines of what Rick Nelson was doing. He showed up at Universal with the new hairstyle.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Posts: 87839
Age: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Likes given: 9005 total
Likes received: 16438 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby Jokerlola » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jokerlola wrote:When it came to Elvis's hair in the 70's he was following fashion instead of creating it. Shaggy hair and "mutton chops" became fashionable in the late 60's and Elvis followed the trend. If I remember hearing it right, Elvis showed up with pomade in his hair for "Change Of Habit" and the director told him to wash it out and wear his hair dry and shaggy and Elvis never went back to the pomade after that (or whatever hair cream he used).


That's incorrect. The story goes that he took Priscilla's advice to style his hair more along the lines of what Rick Nelson was doing. He showed up at Universal with the new hairstyle.


Yeah, that's how I heard it. Elvis still had the "greasy kid stuff" in his hair in the 68 comeback special and in the movies in 69 until Change Of Habit.
User avatar
Jokerlola
Offline
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:52 am
Likes given: 6 total
Likes received: 25 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby Mike Eder » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:58 am

I like the long hair he had in the seventies except the bangs look from 1976.
Mike Eder
User avatar
Mike Eder
Offline
 
Posts: 4257
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:14 am
Location: Naperville IL
Likes given: 154 total
Likes received: 69 total

Re: 1970 Forum

Postby drjohncarpenter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:27 am

Jokerlola wrote:Yeah, that's how I heard it. Elvis still had the "greasy kid stuff" in his hair in the 68 comeback special and in the movies in 69 until Change Of Habit.


Well, not really. Elvis' hair was just usually combed back on the top and sides. Just look at his appearance in late 1968-early 1969. What he did, just prior to reporting for "Change of Habit," was shift to a more relaxed, fall-forward style.
.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
User avatar
drjohncarpenter
Offline
 
Posts: 87839
Age: 82
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:04 am
Location: Cali
Likes given: 9005 total
Likes received: 16438 total


Return to ELVIS Picture Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest