Post here your Elvis' pictures

Detroit 1957 newspaper

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:51 pm

This newspaper was on eBay. Great photo of Elvis on stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Detroit 1957 newspaper

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 pm

awesome. Did you buy it?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:00 am

No, I didn´t. The seller was asking something like $300 for it. That´s a bit too much.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:43 am

Neat find!

The item sold for $49.99 -- still too much for me!

Note it also had a close-up where you could see the retouching done to Elvis' face.

570401_Detroit Times_face.jpg

It's also interesting to read Elvis got interviewed before the show.

This is the original Detroit Times April 1, 1957 Newspaper full page review of Elvis Preseley's 2 concerts at Olympia Stadium in Detroit on Sunday March 31, 1957. This is the complete section of the Newspaper which is 8 pages numbered 17 to 24. Only the front page of the section covers the concerts and that page would look great framed. There is one picture of Elvis in his gold jacket and one can see his make up in the close up picture. There are 5 other pictures of girls going crazy at the concert. The write up review is titled Husky Cops Fend off Admirers. The write up by Harvey Taylor is very detailed. It tells about Elvis's entrance, his dress, his body movements, his hair, and when it was over that he headed for the Sheraton-Cadillac Hotel. The last part of the review tells of a pre concert interview with Elvis in the dressing room. The newspaper is in nice condition with light wear and yellowing. It has the standard one horizonal fold and and only 1 small tear at center of fold. Nice item. Email any questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Olympia-Stadium-Detroit-Elvis-Presley-Detroit-Times-Concert-Review-cool-/251213699992

Given that the Detroit Times was an evening newspaper, and we're looking at the Monday, April 1, 1957 edition, it's unclear if R.K. Roland's photo of Elvis is from the afternoon or evening performance. My guess is the first show.

I wish we could read all of what Harvey Taylor, music critic of the Detroit Times, thought of the show ("Husky Cops Fend Off Admirers"). But the eBay page did show some of his review.

570401_Detroit Times_Taylor_01.jpg
570401_Detroit Times_Taylor_02.jpg
570401_Detroit Times_Taylor_03.jpg

xxx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:54 am

Thanks guys!!