Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Elvis Movie/Publicity Photo Shoots

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:41 pm

Tony.. wrote:What about this stunner? I havn't checked to see if it's in the "Loving You" section, but what a great shot it is!! I just acquired this magazine.]

Tony, looks like it matches up w this one, but yours is better quality!
http://elvicities.com/~epss/index.php/Loving-You-1957/1957-03-8

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:51 pm

greggers wrote:...and the hits just keep on comin'!
Nice, The Fool!
I never really knew where Elvis was going with that whole shirt-tails-tied-in-a-knot thang! :)

I think that was Elvis' style… the real Elvis what he liked, Elvis being Elvis but during the 60's movie period having to keep up the image, he pretty much stopped doing it by end of maybe ’62.

Great seeing him having it in the Girls, Girls, Girls photo shoot. Too bad he didn't have it in the movie… maybe in the "Walls Have Ears" scene.

First time I saw Elvis having shirt-tails-tied-in-a-knot when waxing his caddy… a cool photo!

I believe last time Elvis having it was this photo…

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 am

Magazine cover
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:47 am

From Japanese magazines...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 am

From a Japanese magazine. The blue jacket Spinout photo is new.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:56 am

Less cropped...
Last edited by The fool on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:06 am

Very small, but less cropped.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:13 am

The colours are much more natural in these photos.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:18 am

Less cropped

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:33 am

Love Me Tender...

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 pm

GREAT photos, thank you very much :smt006

Can you please post bigger version for LMT photos? There's two photos new to me :smt007
The photo from LMT "sp.JPG" is great, i have it but cropped and in low quality.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:01 pm

hilton22000 wrote:
Can you please post bigger version for LMT photos? There's two photos new to me :smt007

I´m sorry, I can´t. I don´t have this magazine, I just got those photos from eBay.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:19 am

Wild in the Country

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Wow, those Wild in the Country shots are superb!

We've just finished adding in all your latest shots Fool.
Thank you so much for all the support you give us. Rex Martin was our top supporter before he sadly passed away (almost a year now) but you have now become our top contributor to EPSS and we're so very appreciative of all the time you take to help fill these folders.

Thank you so much :smt006

http://elvicities.com/~epss/index.php/

Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:43 am

New, from the cover of TV, Radio, Movie Guide magazine, October 1965 issue.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:06 am

Thanks, The fool. I wonder what the author of the article wrote about Elvis and "Catastrophe".

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks, "fool". Great shot - we'll add it in later today.

Here's something found from ebay a short while back - the seller called it a "draft photo" and also had a negative of it apparently. Can someone explain what exactly is a "draft photo"? If we look at the actual picture, we can see it's the one they used on the "Double Trouble" movie poster and it looks like it comes from the real photo shoot. But is it actually just a drawing, or a photo that has been modified, ie. they've taken the real photo and "drawn" over it to make some 'enhancements'? If it's the latter, maybe there's a chance the original is still somewhere, but if it's a 'drawing' of some sort, then it's essentially a fake shot.

I added the poster to the picture just for comparison.

draftab.jpg

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 am

onelove wrote:Thanks, "fool". Great shot - we'll add it in later today.

Here's something found from ebay a short while back -the seller called it a "draft photo" and also had a negative of it apparently. Can someone explain what exactly is a "draft photo"? If we look at the actual picture, we can see it's the one they used on the "Double Trouble" movie poster and it looks like it comes from the real photo shoot. But is it actually just a drawing, or a photo that has been modified, ie. they've taken the real photo and "drawn" over it to make some 'enhancements'? If it's the latter, maybe there's a chance the original is still somewhere, but if it's a 'drawing' of some sort, then it's essentially a fake shot.

draftab.jpg

Thanks for posting.

I thought a 'draft photo' is like you mentioned "a drawing, or a photo that has been modified, ie. they've taken the real photo and "drawn" over it to make some 'enhancement" for promotional usage: Press guides, newspapers ads, posters etc.

Not sure if this is the original used but it might be the one used for the Spinout poster, it’s unlikely they took a shot of Elvis looking like he does in the poster but close enough to get an idea of where the image might have come from…

I think it's cool seeing the draft photos. Yes, they're fake shots, but nice to see how they came up with the artwork designs for some of the promotional items.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:05 am

Here's something found from ebay a short while back - the seller called it a "draft photo" and also had a negative of it apparently. Can someone explain what exactly is a "draft photo"? If we look at the actual picture, we can see it's the one they used on the "Double Trouble" movie poster and it looks like it comes from the real photo shoot. But is it actually just a drawing, or a photo that has been modified, ie. they've taken the real photo and "drawn" over it to make some 'enhancements'? If it's the latter, maybe there's a chance the original is still somewhere, but if it's a 'drawing' of some sort, then it's essentially a fake shot.

draftab.jpg

Wow they made that fender guitar about 3 times it's size,wonder why?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks "EPA4368" and Elton.

They're quite fun to see but they're indeed also a bit odd, although I guess it was the style back then - to 'exaggerate' certain things so they could be seen better in posters, for example. I guess the "drawing style" did stand out pretty well in them, especially since they 'enhanced' the colors in a way that made them quite bright.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Here's one that ISN'T included in your "Loving You" publicity shots section! This was included within the book "Summer of 61";
LOVING YOU PUBLICITY.jpg

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Thank you, Tony - excellent find and certainly a new one for us.

We'll add it in shortly.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 pm

draftab.jpg

A draft picture, or photo, is tantamount to a rough copy or an image waiting to be agreed on as a final draft, print or option for artwork to be created around. Movie posters from the sixties (and before) were often the work of commissioned artists who would either use a publicity photo and incorporate a feel for the movie around that, or conceive an image from an aspect of the movie's synopsis. This was generally cheaper than using stills upon which text was incorporated, plus it meant that striking, coherent images could be created for different markets, e.g., it's not unusual to find Japanese, Spanish or Indian posters offering an ethnic flavour that wouldn't be present in their British or American counterparts. In some instances, because a poster may have been created without the artist actually seeing the film, the poster may be far more captivating than the film itself; thus promising something more than what was ultimately seen on screen. This is particularly true of the many spaghetti westerns, horror pictures and blaxploitation films of the late sixties/early seventies, when artists were being afforded more freedom than ever in creating promotional material for X rated films.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 pm

greystoke wrote:

draftab.jpg

A draft picture, or photo, is tantamount to a rough copy or an image waiting to be agreed on as a final draft, print or option for artwork to be created around. Movie posters from the sixties (and before) were often the work of commissioned artists who would either use a publicity photo and incorporate a feel for the movie around that, or conceive an image from an aspect of the movie's synopsis. This was generally cheaper than using stills upon which text was incorporated, plus it meant that striking, coherent images could be created for different markets, e.g., it's not unusual to find Japanese, Spanish or Indian posters offering an ethnic flavour that wouldn't be present in their British or American counterparts. In some instances, because a poster may have been created without the artist actually seeing the film, the poster may be far more captivating than the film itself; thus promising something more than what was ultimately seen on screen. This is particularly true of the many spaghetti westerns, horror pictures and blaxploitation films of the late sixties/early seventies, when artists were being afforded more freedom than ever in creating promotional material for X rated films.

Excellent infos, greystoke.

You clearly know what you're talking about and that's the kind of answer I was looking for - certainly clears up for me what a "draft photo" is. Thanks again!

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:02 am

Better quality. From Elvis Presley´s Graceland facebook page.