Post here your Elvis' pictures

Back In Memphis cover photo help

Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:40 am

I know there are some photo experts here that can give more info on the LP cover photo from "Back In Memphis" as discussed in the topic below.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74178&p=1122017#p1122017
(Thanks Doc for the original image.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Back In Memphis cover photo help

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:48 am

The ring on his finger and the dark guitar strap point as opening night, July 31st 1969 to me.

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 am

Julian Grant wrote:The ring on his finger and the dark guitar strap point as opening night, July 31st 1969 to me.

2.jpg

Thanks Julian Grant! Great observations that I'd have to agree with.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 am

Here's the cover with the "weird" guitar:

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:34 am

Mister Mike wrote:Here's the cover with the "weird" guitar:

That is what I was talking about. Yes.

Is this the cover for the fold out 2 album set, which I think it is.
And wasn't this shot used for the 8 track or the reel to reel cover?

That is not the guitar hole to that Gibson. That was added. Notice also no strings cross that hole.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:54 am

ekenee wrote:

That is not the guitar hole to that Gibson. That was added. Notice also no strings cross that hole.

The LP never had the hole on any version , the 8-track or the reel to reel format never had the hole either.
That photo is an amature altered image not original .

Read this ekenee
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74178&start=150

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 am

ekenee wrote:

this was used on the original cd release of the album in the 90s

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 am

JEFF d wrote:
ekenee wrote:

I'm at work so I can't check but I'm 99.9% sure that you are right. I seem to remember that it was even discussed here.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:36 am

Mister Mike wrote:
JEFF d wrote:
ekenee wrote:

I'm at work so I can't check but I'm 99.9% sure that you are right. I seem to remember that it was even discussed here.

Yepp it was used on these BMG CD's. Looks like the bottom half of the guitar may have been professionally added after all .

Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:53 pm

promiseland wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:The ring on his finger and the dark guitar strap point as opening night, July 31st 1969 to me.

2.jpg

Thanks Julian Grant! Great observations that I'd have to agree with.

Not that I can really help with the guitar issue, but the shots above are more than likely not from the July 31st OS. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the rings in particular as it seems they were pretty much the same through the whole engagement. How you can tell they were taken later on to the engagement --- the "Back In Memphis" shot shows Elvis wearing (basically) the same suit (as during the OS), but a different scarf - you can see it's a dark scarf with sets of thin line/large line going through it. This would make it the scarf with red on it, that Elvis often wore to match the 'cossack top' suit combination with the red lined belt.

Julian's photo shows a completely wrong suit - the "press conference suit".

The scarf Elvis more than likely had during the opening show shows only thin lines going through it, in "sets". See the shot below.
1969-07-31__borsari.jpg

Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:10 pm

promiseland wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
JEFF d wrote:
ekenee wrote:

Yepp it was used on these BMG CD's. Looks like the bottom half of the guitar may have been professionally added after all .

I wish I could remember where I remembered this from. I usually only read ETMAHM, so there might have been an article on this at one time.

I knew the guitar hole was added at one point. There is a story there, but I just can't recall where I read it.

Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 pm

memphis.JPG

It's unclear when the cover shot was taken, but the reason for the alteration of the guitar is because the CD used the original 1969 LP shot, which had a red border with song titles covering the guitar.

6020-lsp-00-cover-side2-1.jpg

LSP-6020 From Memphis to Vegas / From Vegas to Memphis | elvisrecords.us
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-6020-from-memphis-to-vegas-from-vegas-to-memphis/
Image courtesy of the essential Elvis record research database, elvisrecords.us