Post here your Elvis' pictures

Picture

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Elvis.jpg

Hello everyone,

Hopefully I've managed to upload this photograph onto the forum. I purchased it recently & wondered if someone would put a date to it, the studio & who is the other person with Elvis in the shot.

It's a good quality copy & printed on Fujifilm Crystal Archive Paper. The person I bought it from has more copies plus plenty of different photos. I'll be happy pass on details of the vendor to anyone who wishes to send me a PM.

In the meantime any info on the shot will be welcome.

Kindest regards.

Thommesen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Picture

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 pm

That man is piano player Dudley Brooks and the picture was taken during the January 1957 sessions

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Thank you niobeh,

I just dug out my copy of The Complete Recording Sessions by Ernst Jorgenson & found the sessions with a small copy of the picture in question.

I now know, thanks to Ernst's book that it was the Radio Recorders sessions, as you mention January 1957. I'd forgotten I had this book hidden away in my collection.

I appreciate the reply.

Thank you.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:13 pm

thommesen - here is one from same studio sessions from 57 -
Enjoy -
Dedicated to You and to all on FECC -
Enjoy ::rocks
:smt007 :smt007 ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by karlos on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:26 pm

thommesen wrote:In the meantime any info on the shot will be welcome.

My guess on the photo date, credit and recording circumstance:

570119_w Dudley Brooks_Radio Recorders.JPG
Dudley Brooks, Elvis
Rehearsing "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You"
RCA Session, Radio Recorders, West Hollywood, CA
Saturday, January 19, 1957

Photo: Bill Avery

The image may be cropped, not sure though.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:30 pm

karlos wrote:thommesen - here are few more from same studio sessions from 57 - Enjoy -

karlos, the first is not from a studio session at all, it is on the set at Paramount. The second is from a different session at Radio Recorders. The third is taken from a site that rips off images and stories from all over the internet and acts like it is their own.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
karlos wrote:thommesen - here are few more from same studio sessions from 57 - Enjoy -

karlos, the first is not from a studio session at all, it is on the set at Paramount. The second is from a different session at Radio Recorders. The third is taken from a site that rips off images and stories from all over the internet and acts like it is their own.

Ty John for info - Happy New Year - - ::rocks
Last edited by karlos on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 am

karlos wrote:Ty John for info - Happy New Year - thanks for this info Doc

Cool. Do you want to edit your post and remove the first two photos which do not belong?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Ty! Which site do you mean please?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Cool. Do you want to edit your post and remove the first two photos which do not belong?

Ok Doc -will do it now -
Ty for ya info - and advice - Advice taken -Ty Doc

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am

karlos wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Ok Doc -will do it now -

Yes, Ty for everything and Ty for saying Ty (yet again)! :?

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:41 am

Tony.. wrote:
karlos wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Ok Doc -will do it now -

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 Tony - Lov ya wit -

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 am

karlos wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
karlos wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Ok Doc -will do it now -

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 Tony - Lov ya wit -

Ty. :facep:

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 am

Thank you for all the information given on the picture, can't believe the feedback with not just the month but the day as well.

Once again thank you.

thommesen.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 am

thommesen wrote:Thank you for all the information given on the picture, can't believe the feedback with not just the month but the day as well.

Once again thank you.

thommesen.

Bill Avery is a legendary photographer, and he took a ton of great shots for Paramount of Elvis while the singer was working on "Loving You." Everything save the exact day and song are 100% accurate. I hope to confirm those soon.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am

Wow thanks Doc. When you say you hope to confirm this soon. How will you do this? I'm really interested. I couldn't find this posting this morning when I logged on. Eventually found it on the picture section! I should have placed it in there to start with instead of the All Elvis section.

Thanks again
Thommesen

Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Dudley Brooks, Elvis

Doc, I got this as February 14, 1957 due to Tiny Timbrell being on the session.
From what I can tell by a quick look in "A Life In Music" by Ernst Jorgensen this was the only day he was on the setlist at Radio Recorders during the Loving You session.
570214-Hollywood-c16-Radio Recorders.jpg

Or was my photo taken at Paramount Scoring Stage? If it was then we have Elvis wearing the same clothes for sessions at both Paramount and Radio Recorders.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:12 pm

bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Dudley Brooks, Elvis

From what I can tell by a quick look in "A Life In Music" by Ernst Jorgensen this was the only day he was on the setlist at Radio Recorders during the Loving You session.

Or was my photo taken at Paramount Scoring Stage? If it was then we have Elvis wearing the same clothes for sessions at both Paramount and Radio Recorders.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Yours is at Radio Recorders Brian, though I don't know if its January or February. After looking at Keith's site though I'm inclined to believe its February too. Tiny wouldn't likely be present for sessions that weren't for the film.
http://scottymoore.net/studio_radiorecorders.html

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 am

bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Dudley Brooks, Elvis

If the Timbrell shot is from Radio Recorders -- and it appears to be -- it is from 2-14-1957.

My assessment of the Avery shot is based in part on the fact that Elvis about to beat the backside of his acoustic guitar, which he did 1-19-1957 on "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You."

Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:My assessment of the Avery shot is based in part on the fact that Elvis about to beat the backside of his acoustic guitar, which he did 1-19-1957 on "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You."

Cool find on the Avery shots before. I wonder though if there may have been several photographers there that day. Some of the similar shots I have on the Radio Recorders page appear to be the same session(s) and were originally used on the rear of one of the LPs, I forget which (Loving You?), but were credited to Leigh Vance.

Found it. No idea what album, or even where I got it.

OK, apparantly it is a bootleg

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:My assessment of the Avery shot is based in part on the fact that Elvis about to beat the backside of his acoustic guitar, which he did 1-19-1957 on "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You."

Cool find on the Avery shots before. I wonder though if there may have been several photographers there that day. Some of the similar shots I have on the Radio Recorders page appear to be the same session(s) and were originally used on the rear of one of the LPs, I forget which (Loving You?), but were credited to Leigh Vance.

Found it. No idea what album, or even where I got it.

OK, apparently it is a bootleg

320757404137.jpg

(93B) Loving You Recorded Sessions Back.jpg

vik%20loving%20you%20sessions%2002.jpg

Not just any bootleg, but one of the best of the 1980s!

Issued in 1982, Loving You Recording Sessions was the first full release of the 2-14-1957 session, and more.

It was a VIK Records (AKA Ger RIjff) masterpiece, inside and out. Elvis bootlegs moved to Europe almost exclusively after a major FBI bust in 1981. It was a rough time for poor young American fans without connections. Like me!

Note: "Leigh Vance" is probably just a made-up name from VIK Records. The photos are likely all by Bill Avery.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Note: "Leigh Vance" is probably just a made-up name from VIK Records. The photos are likely all by Bill Avery.

That sounds more likely. I'll have to note that on the page. Thanks

Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Note: "Leigh Vance" is probably just a made-up name from VIK Records. The photos are likely all by Bill Avery.

When the page is done, please let us know!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

When the page is done, please let us know!

Added the note last night, credited your observation

Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:30 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Added the note last night, credited your observation

Cool. Another great page just got better!

Maybe one day we'll see all the shots Avery took of Elvis at Radio Recorders, and then we can confirm the ones above.