Footage from March 31st 1972 At studios At California -

James Burton : no

Jerry Sheef : no

John Wilkinson : no

Emory Gordy ? :?:

Charlie Hodge : :smt003

Re: Who is this guitar player ?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:21 pm

I believe it to be Emory Gordy.. he was there for the rehearsal parts of EOT (the mock up recording session) and the acual recording session of march 1972.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:09 pm

It IS Emory Gordy. He's the bass player on the march '72 recording sessions. And also on the mock sessions after the official recording session. He also player bass with Elvis on stage 1973 to replace Jerry Scheff.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:45 pm

::rocks

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Emory worked with Elvis until Duke Bardwell was brought in and then Jerry Scheff made his return to the Elvis troop in '75 and stayed until the final show in Indianapolis, IN.

Emory is now (or was) a record producer in Nashville, TN after his tenure with Elvis and he is married to country singer Patty Loveless.

I wonder if Emory talks much about his time with Elvis?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:51 pm

thnx Tony :wink:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:40 pm

Energy Catalyzer wrote:Who is this guitar player ?

As noted, it's Emory Gordy, Jr.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emory_Gordy,_Jr.

You can see him playing bass in some of MGM's released "Elvis On Tour" footage -- he filled in for Jerry at all of the March 27-30, 1972 RCA/MGM sessions at RCA Hollywood. That's his incredible bass playing on the now-classic "Burning Love."

A year later, Jerry Scheff's last 1973 show was February 23 in Las Vegas. He claims he was "burned out." Gordy took over with the first Presley tour of the year on April 22 in Phoenix, and stayed for the next five months, until the infamous closing gig at the Hilton on September 3. Starting in January 1974, Duke Bardwell held down the bottom until Jerry's return in Macon on April 24, 1975.

Tony Trout wrote:I wonder if Emory talks much about his time with Elvis?

One of the reasons Gordy quit after just five months was because of the low performance standard of the Presley show, for example the shoving of classic rock songs into "medleys."

In a 1992 Musician interview Emory remembered:

The tempos were horrible. My big letdown was when we did a medley of "Don't Be Cruel," "Teddy Bear" and "Hound Dog"... Elvis did this whole karate thing while Tutt would do the drums and toms and all that.

No doubt Gordy knew a thing or two about making great music.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:54 pm

Interesting quote's from Gordy, thanks Doc.
Would be even more interesting to hear a more elaborate view on his time with Elvis.
This suggests he didn't appreciate his time with EP at all, which I doubt.

But it's always interesting to hear a more balanced view compared to the "everything he did was the best" kind of stories..

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Robert wrote:Interesting quote's from Gordy, thanks Doc.
Would be even more interesting to hear a more elaborate view on his time with Elvis.
This suggests he didn't appreciate his time with EP at all, which I doubt.

It's just an observation about the music, and his disinterest in such sloppy work.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 am

Robert wrote:Would be even more interesting to hear a more elaborate view on his time with Elvis.

Here´s what Gordy said in that October 1992 issue of Musician magazine Doc mentioned earlier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:10 am

I remember all of those comments. Give Gordy credit: he did not stick around long after discovering that the music in an Elvis Presley show was not really a priority. In 1975 he joined Emmylou Harris' "Hot Band," along with James Burton, Ron Tutt and Glen Hardin, who had a lot of free time between September and December 1975.

http://www.emmylou.net/hotband.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmylou_Harris#The_Hot_Band

In February 1976, Burton, Tutt and Hardin quit Elvis to join up full time, although management paid a huge amount to get James back by the March 1976 tour. Ron returned in April 1976. Glen never played with Elvis again.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:18 am

Somewhere Gordy spoke very highly of the ´72 session. He said it was a very good experience. But where was that?