Post here your Elvis' pictures

Who are these women?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Lotsa ladies I can't identify in photos I can't date, either. Help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by latebloomer on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Who are these women?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Next group:

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Too many images, too many eras. Photos circa 1955-1957, mostly female fans, and a couple are of girlfriends.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:03 am

e.jpg, Richmond, Va., June 30, 1956. Don´t remember the name of the girl but it´s the one in Wertheimer photos.
a.jpg, Jacksonville, Fl., August 10-11, 1956, with Andrea June Stephens
f.jpg, Las Vegas, Nv., October 15-22, 1957 with Las Vegas showgirls at the Dunes Hotel.
j.jpg, Miami, Fl., August 3-4, 1956

The rest is, like Doc said, mostly female fans and were, as far as I know, taken at Audubon Drive.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 am

Alfred Wertheimer captured Barbara Gray with Elvis on 6-30-1956.

Great story about finding her is here -->
The Elvis-Kiss Mystery-Solved! | Vanity Fair
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/08/elvis-kiss-201108

bripet56 wrote:e.jpg, Richmond, Va., June 30, 1956. Don´t remember the name of the girl but it´s the one in Wertheimer photos.
a.jpg, Jacksonville, Fl., August 10-11, 1956, with Andrea June Stephens
f.jpg, Las Vegas, Nv., October 15-22, 1957 with Las Vegas showgirls at the Dunes Hotel.
j.jpg, Miami, Fl., August 3-4, 1956

The rest is, like Doc said, mostly female fans and were, as far as I know, taken at Audubon Drive.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:27 am

(h) is, according to the Alanna Nash book, "Baby, Let's Play House...," 14-year-old Jackie Rowland. The image is said to be July 4, 1956. Supposedly, Jackie and her mother, Marguerite, visited that day. As the caption in the book reads, Elvis treated her more like a girlfriend than a fan. The book indicates Jackie and Marguerite arrived in Memphis on July 3, when Elvis was still in New York, and hung out at the Audubon Drive home on the afternoon of the 4th, the day of the Russwood Park show.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:48 am

Sorry, folks, about posting the photos in reverse alphabetical order. I keep forgetting that will happen unless I choose them in reverse order.

Brian and KHoots, thanks! As you may have guessed, I'm trying to acquire the best possible date for each photograph as I find it. The appearance of Elvis himself often is of little help, because his apparent age often is quite deceptive, and, even in the '50s, his apparent weight fluctuated wildly within very short periods of time. (I've concluded that extreme fatigue and poor diet must have resulted more in puffiness than in actual weight gain or loss; I remember being in my twenties, burning the candle at both ends, and seeing the effect of doing so in my face and in the fit of my clothing.)

If I settled for "1955-1957, mostly female fans, and a couple...of girlfriends...", I'd have a few hundred accurately-dated photos for each year, and several thousand lumped together as "1955-57", none of them helpful in dentifying anything else. Those of you who've been at this for several years (or several decades) know this, but may forget how difficult it is to begin assembling the framework of photos that eventually make it possible to place subsequent "finds" in at least the proper quarter of a year. Your patience and understanding when fielding questions from neophytes (like me) is commendable.

Your help is appreciated more than I can express.

My comments: I had figured most of these females must be fans, but wanted to rule out their being persons of long-term significance, such as relatives or officers of fan clubs, whose faces might appear again and again.

e. 30 June 1056. Thanks, Brian and Doc. That's Barbara Gray, the girl from Richmond? Does anyone have an uncropped copy? I couldn't get any clues from the background and never would have guessed that it was part of a Wertheimer, althought I have several photos from that day and already had read the Wertheimer's story about following Elvis and the guys from New York to Richmond and back, and article about Barbara's eventual identification.

d. The pose looks like a fan's child, but Elvis certainly had a flock of younger cousins. Any idea of the date? I thought that Elvis' incredibly tall hair might help date this one.

c. Thought this might be Audubon Drive; anyone know when?

b. There are several photos of Elvis in this shirt. Again, any idea of the date?

a. 10-11 August 1956, Jacksonville. My old-fashioned notions about unchaperoned young ladies are dying hard! There's an intimacy about this photo that made me wonder if Andrea June Stevens might not be a visiting relative of Elvis, Scotty, or Bill.

j. 3-4 August 1956, Miami. A fan, then, I presume.

i. I thought this must be at Audubon Drive; there are two or three of this young woman, and the background looks more like a yard than anything else.

h. 4 July 1956, Audubon Drive. KHoots, thank you! I knew it had to be at Audubon Drive, but have seen only this one photo of Jackie Rowland. It's hard to believe how docile Gladys and Vernon were about the female strangers Elvis dragged in and treated like intimates.

g. 4 July 1956, Audubon Drive. This was another of the photos Wertheimer took the day Elvis returned from New York. The young lady was patiently and hopefully waiting with Gladys in the kitchen, and Elvis finally acknowledged her presence. His offhand treatment -- she never shows up again in any of the photos I've found for that day -- made me wonder if she wasn't a cousin. ("Cavalier" often hardly covered his treatment of females!) Does anyone know who she was?

f. 15-22 October 1957, Las Vegas. Brian, thank you! Couldn't decide whether this was in Las Vegas or Paris or elsewhere.

Doc, I'd send you a PM, but apparently you aren't set up to recieve one: Why didn't you just answer in the first place, instead of writing as if the questions were too insignificant to be worth your time? You have such a lot of information; if you're not willing to share it freely and graciously, why bother to answer at all?

Again, gentlemen, thank you very much.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Just a little help, some stories about these photos... :wink:

Photo "d" i'm sure it's from last part of 1957 - i have it, but i can't find it right now. Maibe September 57.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Holy smoke! How satisfying to see where so many of the photos came from! Are all of those pages from Brian's book?

That poor kid who won the contest was a basket case, wasn't she? She looks petrified. That's a very nice story.

Your 3rd page shows the two photos from 4 July 1956 that I have, but whoever was that pretty girl? (The one in the white dress, who answered the door, according to Wertheimer.) That isn't June Juanico, is it?

I have four of the five photos on the 4th page you posted, all but the top left, and am glad you sent them. I thought the photos of the two blondes were of the same girl; not so! Mine is a very blurry copy.

Never seen any of the photos on the last of your two pages, but IMHO the one at bottom left almost looks as if it could have come from Trouble With Girls a dozen years later. Fascinating.

Thank you, also, for the hint on photo d. I really like that one; Elvis looks as if he expects that little lass to explode or something, especially with his hair standing so tall.

hilton22000, you're terrific! Thanks a million. You made my day.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Doc, thanks very much for that link to Vanity Fair; I had a look and it is not the story I read a few months ago, plus the article contained about half a dozen photos I hadn't seen before, either. :lol:

Great story about finding her is here -->
The Elvis-Kiss Mystery-Solved! | Vanity Fair
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/featu ... iss-201108

Well done!

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:06 pm

latebloomer wrote:Holy smoke! How satisfying to see where so many of the photos came from! Are all of those pages from Brian's book?

That poor kid who won the contest was a basket case, wasn't she? She looks petrified. That's a very nice story.

Your 3rd page shows the two photos from 4 July 1956 that I have, but whoever was that pretty girl? (The one in the white dress, who answered the door, according to Wertheimer.) That isn't June Juanico, is it?

I have four of the five photos on the 4th page you posted, all but the top left, and am glad you sent them. I thought the photos of the two blondes were of the same girl; not so! Mine is a very blurry copy.

Never seen any of the photos on the last of your two pages, but IMHO the one at bottom left almost looks as if it could have come from Trouble With Girls a dozen years later. Fascinating.

Thank you, also, for the hint on photo d. I really like that one; Elvis looks as if he expects that little lass to explode or something, especially with his hair standing so tall.

hilton22000, you're terrific! Thanks a million. You made my day.

Well, i'm always glad to help, you're very welcome.
These pages are just a small part of my files about '56, but few photos are from Brian's book, indeed. One of the best books i ever read, still on sale on The Elvis Shop London ('The Atomic Powered Singer', get it while you can)
The girl from July 4 (Wertheimer photos) is not June Juanico.
If you have troubles with any photo, just ask on FECC, that's why we're here, right? :wink:

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31 pm

hilton22000,

I wish we had a page on FECC where really knowledgable members like you could list books they recommend.

My book budget just got spent on Elvis: Like Any Other Soldier (the last one), and Day By Day. And my printer/scanner died just before Christmas, so that's where the next chunk of money goes. Sigh. But I found Brian's book on Amazon and have it marked for my next purchase.

Thanks for sharing so much of your collection, and for your patience with newer fans like me.

Happy New Year! :smt006

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Poof! It's like magic.

::rocks

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:02 pm

latebloomer wrote:hilton22000,
I wish we had a page on FECC where really knowledgable members like you could list books they recommend.
:smt006

I'm not knowledgable at all, let's say i'm just...older...:)
I like to help any fan, old or new, no matter, other members from here helps me a lot, so i guess it's my turn. Like i said before, anytime you'll need something, ask here on FECC, somebody will try to help, you'll see.

Excelent choice, Like Any Other Soldier and Day by Day are essential books. Just few sugestions (it's my opinion):
for 1954-55 - A Boy From Tupelo: The Complete 1953-55 Recordings - Ernst Jorgensen (it's expensive, but essential)
for 1956 - The Atomic Powered Singer, Ger Rijff's books, Werthmeier books (Elvis at 21 - but you can buy A King In The Making, it's almost the same with Elvis at 21 but less expensive), Elvis 1956 Reflections
for 1957 - Elvis '57: The Final Fifties Tours - Alan Hanson

There are many, many books, it's a very good ideea, maibe somebody will start a topic about books (in All Elvis)
About the scanner, i recomand you an A3 scanner, much better than A4 - but i don't know your budget. :wink:

This is my mail, if you need something just write me, maibe i'll be able to help you.
hilton22000@yahoo.com