Post here your Elvis' pictures

Where and when, please?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 am

I think where will tell me when, but I'll take both place and date if you know it! I asked a few weeks ago about the second photo, along with several others from Elvis' arrival at Friedburg on 2 October 1958, but I think they may be from Fort Dix, just after he picked up his final pay and DD-214. They're definitely a pair: Look at that big MP in the center of the second photo and on the left of the first one.

I'd like to see both of these a bit larger and/or clearer, and especially would appreciate it if anyone could remove the overlay from the second photo. If you have a better copy altogether of either or both, I'd sure be grateful if you'd post it/them.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Where and when, please?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Elvis’ arrival at Ray Barracks, Friedberg, West Germany on Thursday October 2nd 1958. Here is another with the same girl in picture 1.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:33 pm

Julian, you're great! Thanks for that nice clear photo showing his absolutely naked sleeve; that certainly removes any doubt, doesn't it?

You wouldn't know where this one is, would you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:07 pm

latebloomer wrote:Julian, you're great! Thanks for that nice clear photo showing his absolutely naked sleeve; that certainly removes any doubt, doesn't it?

You wouldn't know where this one is, would you?

Your welcome. The one you've posted was taken during the last days of September 1958 while on his way to Germany. Elvis is dining at the "Captains table" on-board the USS Randall.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Oh boy. Sometimes I have to grin at "like any other soldier." Uh, well, not quite, but I think both Elvis and the brass tried hard, and the fellows around him seemed to realize that he didn't ask for special treatment.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:58 am

latebloomer wrote:Oh boy. Sometimes I have to grin at "like any other soldier." Uh, well, not quite, but I think both Elvis and the brass tried hard, and the fellows around him seemed to realize that he didn't ask for special treatment.

He did get to live off base.

Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:37 am

Julian Grant wrote: Elvis is dining at the "Captains table" on-board the USS Randall.

the USS General George M. Randall

see http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49178&start=25#p887777

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
latebloomer wrote:Oh boy. Sometimes I have to grin at "like any other soldier." Uh, well, not quite, but I think both Elvis and the brass tried hard, and the fellows around him seemed to realize that he didn't ask for special treatment.

He did get to live off base.

Doc, I've wondered about that, too. If Vernon and Dodger were sponsored dependents, that is, if they had ID cards and had traveled to Germany under orders, then of course he would have been allowed -- and expected -- to live off base., as he did at Ft. Hood. However, at the time (and beyond 1967, at least) I think that only E-4s with 4 years of service were entitled to have dependents, that is, spouse and children. Parents have always fallen into a different category.

And Elvis himself fell into a different category, because it waspublic knowledge that Vernon and Dodger were in fact if not by law his dependents well before 1958, when Elvis enlisted.

I wonder if E-Cat could enlighten us.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:58 am

latebloomer wrote:I wonder if E-Cat could enlighten us.

Hello Nancy - both in Fort Hood and in Germany Elvis was allowed to live off base because (one of) his parents were classed as dependants. At Fort Hood his permssion was received on June 26th, but in Germany this permission was asked for and approved before he arrived in Germany.That's why Vernon, Dodger, Lamar and Red arrived in Germany on October 4th 1958.

Some more info about the photo :

The girl in the photo is Miss M. Febbo. She was a journalist of the Frankfurt based tabloid magazine "Overseas Weekly". She and Eva Windmöller were the only 2 women who were allowed to attend his arrival at Ray Barracks. The photo as posted was taken by Associated Press (published in US newspapers on Oct 4 & 5).

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:26 am

E-Cat wrote:Some more info about the photo

E-Cat, your knowlegde is unbelieavable. Thank you!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:29 am

E-Cat, you are an astonishing font of information! Thanks, especially, for the info about Elvis' dependents. I was almost certain they must have been dependents...but he had enough income for that not to matter. However, he certainly took the proper course. If they had been in Germany unsponsored, and anything had come up that resulted in the immediate departure of dependents, his (unsponsored) family would have left to its own devices to find a way home. At such times, money is not always enough to do the job. Someone gave Elvis very good advice. Lamar and Red were in a different situation altogether, but then, they would have been classed either as employees or as visitors, and I don't think either ever are covered by sponsorship.

Might have known you'd have the straight skinny on the young lady, right down to her name and profession! You've done an outstanding job of research and investigtion. Beats anything I've ever run across before. Have you put what you know into book form yet? (Have mercy; I'm still new here....) If you haven't, I sure wish you would!

Nancy