Is this for real?

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Is this for real?

Postby latebloomer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Found this photo on the net a few days ago. Although the kid on the left looks a bit like Elvis did at that age, and longhorns are not exactly extinct (or weren't when he was young), I just can't quite swallow this photo. (Sure have had a good laugh over it, though!)

Anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
latebloomer

Elvis Presley was an explorer of vast new landscapes of dream and illusion. He was a man who refused to be told that the best of his dreams would not come true, who refused to be defined by anyone else's perceptions. This is the goal of democracy, the journey on which every American hero sets out. That Elvis made so much of the journey on his own is reason enough to remember him with the honor and love we reserve for the bravest among us. Such men made the only maps we can trust.
--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.
latebloomer

Topic author

Re: Is this for real?

Postby Polk Salad Andy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:58 pm

Wow, that does look uncannily like a young Elvis. I couldn't say if the photo is genuine or not, but I certainly haven't seen it before.
Polk Salad Andy

Postby Energy Catalyzer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 pm

this photo has been shown on tcb world forum months ago
Energy Catalyzer

Postby Elvisgirl » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Energy Catalyzer wrote:this photo has been shown on tcb world forum months ago

so?
Elvisgirl

Postby drjohncarpenter » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:04 am

It's legit, and probably lifted from this forum. It was published in 2010.

We Remember Elvis (Pittsburgh: RoseDog Books, 2010)
By: Azalia S. Moore, Guy Thomas Harris, Sybil Presley, Lee Clark

And from the pages (114-115) where this photo and text may be seen:

100715_We Remember Elvis_p115.jpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
drjohncarpenter

Postby latebloomer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:21 am

Energy Catalyzer, Dr. John, thank you both. I would keep the darned thing even if it were a fake, although not in my legitimate files, just because it's such an astonishing sight. Could either of you remember or find the links to the previous posts about it? I'd sure like to read them!

For such a super-cautious mother as Gladys, allowing Elvis even to approach such a beast must have been an act of pure courage.

Have a nice weekend, folks.
latebloomer

Elvis Presley was an explorer of vast new landscapes of dream and illusion. He was a man who refused to be told that the best of his dreams would not come true, who refused to be defined by anyone else's perceptions. This is the goal of democracy, the journey on which every American hero sets out. That Elvis made so much of the journey on his own is reason enough to remember him with the honor and love we reserve for the bravest among us. Such men made the only maps we can trust.
--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.
latebloomer

Topic author

Postby Energy Catalyzer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:03 pm

latebloomer wrote:Energy Catalyzer, Dr. John, thank you both. I would keep the darned thing even if it were a fake, although not in my legitimate files, just because it's such an astonishing sight. Could either of you remember or find the links to the previous posts about it? I'd sure like to read them!

For such a super-cautious mother as Gladys, allowing Elvis even to approach such a beast must have been an act of pure courage.

Have a nice weekend, folks.

::rocks
Energy Catalyzer

Postby chris j » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm

latebloomer - see topic Six Year Old Elvis Rides a Bull from 28th August 2010.
chris j

Postby latebloomer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks, chris J
latebloomer

--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.
latebloomer

Topic author

Postby Gunter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:32 pm

I also posted this picture on several forums last year after finding it on this website:
http://www.elvisbrasil.com.br/epbrasil/grabthebull.htm

It was very striking how people were reluctant to give there opions wether this little boy is Elvis or not. I still think the resemblance is very striking. Even the famous lip is there. You can compare this with all the pictures we have of Elvis as a little boy and I think you won't find anything that doesn't match. Elvis' image is very unique and very recognisable so I think there is big chance it is him.
On the other hand there are also a lot of fake pictures of Elvis at an early age that don't look like him at all but still a lot of fans are convinced it is actually him. Very scary if you ask me.
Gunter

Postby latebloomer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks, everyone, I truly appreciate all the input, and especially the book cover photo and page reference, drjohn.

Gunter, I agree with your assessment of some folks' reaction to the quest for accuracy and detail. In this country, we've just had a terrible display of both blind acceptance and blind denial of flat statements that no one seemed prepared to discuss, debate, or even analyze with the slightest objectivity. Alas, perhaps today more people can read than in decades and centuries past, but I fear that fewer can (or do) think.

My especial pleasure in this forum is when several people at once rummage through their memories, files, books, and magazine collections to try to pin down the final point that will rationally enable a photo to be correctly dated and the occasion on which it was taken correctly identified. Pure glory!

Perhaps the pursuit of excellence in so relatively unimportant a field as the life and death of a singer, musician, and actor -- even though he was so exceptional -- does not quite meet some people's criteria for scholarly research, but I am deeply grateful to know that there still are people who can, will, and do engage in such conscientious and objective study.

I am honored to be welcomed here, and delighted to watch your minds work.
latebloomer

--- Dave Marsh in Elvis.
latebloomer

Topic author

Postby Gunter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:41 pm

latebloomer wrote:Thanks, everyone, I truly appreciate all the input, and especially the book cover photo and page reference, drjohn.

Gunter, I agree with your assessment of some folks' reaction to the quest for accuracy and detail. In this country, we've just had a terrible display of both blind acceptance and blind denial of flat statements that no one seemed prepared to discuss, debate, or even analyze with the slightest objectivity. Alas, perhaps today more people can read than in decades and centuries past, but I fear that fewer can (or do) think.

My especial pleasure in this forum is when several people at once rummage through their memories, files, books, and magazine collections to try to pin down the final point that will rationally enable a photo to be correctly dated and the occasion on which it was taken correctly identified. Pure glory!

Perhaps the pursuit of excellence in so relatively unimportant a field as the life and death of a singer, musician, and actor -- even though he was so exceptional -- does not quite meet some people's criteria for scholarly research, but I am deeply grateful to know that there still are people who can, will, and do engage in such conscientious and objective study.

I am honored to be welcomed here, and delighted to watch your minds work.

That's what I like about this forum too. A lot of invaluable work is being done here that way. ::rocks
Gunter

Postby drjohncarpenter » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 am

latebloomer wrote:Thanks, everyone, I truly appreciate all the input, and especially the book cover photo and page reference, drjohn.

You're welcome. I very much enjoying sharing information with the good members of this forum.

Note that all copies of this photo on the internet derive from the online version of the book that used to be accessible.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
drjohncarpenter

Return to ELVIS Picture Section