Post here your Elvis' pictures

King Creole then and now

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:09 pm

A fan, Peter Kaleta, took these location shots on a trip to New Orleans and sent them to me with corresponding shots from the film

Since Peter has since joined and is now hosting and posting these his pix I'll remove them cause they are quite large and using up some room that I could use for something else.

Thanks Peter
Last edited by JamesVRoy on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: King Creole then and now

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Very well done!

I love these then and now pics. Excellent!

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:19 pm

I truly enjoyed this post. Thanks a lot.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:25 pm

Great photos - and great detective work !

I assume the modern ones are pre-Katrina.................

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:42 pm

ColinB wrote:Great photos - and great detective work !

I assume the modern ones are pre-Katrina.................

My guess is that they are fairly recent, last summer maybe

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 pm

New Orleans sure hasn't changed much.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Good work by Peter Kaleta.
Nice to see somewhere with Elvis links that hasn't been completely changed.
Last edited by The Purple Gang on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm

Beautiful pics James!

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Hats off to ya James, an outstanding post!

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:01 pm

Very GOOG, EXCELLENT.
What a good rememberance
Thanks

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Excellent thanks for posting.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:32 pm

Great Job.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 pm

You made me a big surprise James :-)
The photos are from our vacation on July 31, 2007
Peter
Last edited by Peter1970 on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:38 pm

Wonderful job Peter1970, and welcome to the Forum.

Greg

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Man, I am not worthy! I would like to thank you ever so much to you and your friend! This detective work is right up my alley and I applaud anyone who has gone anywhere before me! Yes, there has been some serious detective work been carried out down in New Orleans, in which I am truly grateful! Jon, is right when he said the place hasn't changed! Cheers!

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:37 pm

Great post. After Katrina, I went to NOLA for 30 days to help try to put the place back together a little bit. I was in the Quarter as much as I could. I found lots of location spots. The stage he performed most of the songs on is in a bar called "One Eyed Jacks" and I also found the spot where Danny Fisher comes out and leans on the pole just outside of his dads Pharmacy. I of course took pictures similar to the ones posted here, but I didn't find as many location shots as he did. Most of the ones I did find though were really close to eachother. I had a lot of fun searching out the Elvis spots. Someone said NOLA hasn't changed much since the movie, and no it hasn't from.the looks of the movie, and how it is now.

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:41 pm

Very nice work!

Inside King Creole (Tutti Frutti, Amsterdam, 1999) by Rijff, Commandeur and Johnson did the same thing, in a chapter near the end of the book.

It is HIGHLY recommended.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi Peter. Thank you for sharing your interesting photos.
Last edited by The Purple Gang on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Peter1970 wrote:You made me a big surprise James :-)

Great work there !

I thought the old quarter of New Orleans was gone forever with Katrina !

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:33 pm

awesome :wink:

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:35 pm

ColinB wrote:
Peter1970 wrote:You made me a big surprise James :-)

Great work there !

I thought the old quarter of New Orleans was gone forever with Katrina !

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the old French quarter was relatively unscathed. Can anyone confirm this?

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:58 pm

From what I have read,The "French Quarters" of New Orleans, was the least of the damaged from Katrina..
Love these now/then topics..looking forward to Funkster's book/release.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:40 pm

The "Old City" favored very well against Hurricane Katrina. While other party of the city had 14 feet of water, the Quarter sustained little damage. Some chimneys fell onto the street, and the famd rues were littered withfoof slates and Spanish tiles. On Burgandy street, a two-story out building that once had been slave quarters, collapsed. Some bars actually opened the very next day until the local police shut the area down.

Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Those smart Frenchies built on the only part of the area that is a few feet above sea level !!

Great Post - thanks !!! :)

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:56 pm

The old quarter survived because its just that, old. New Orleans is basically swamp and marsh that was reclaimed after technology changed the swelling of the river with its levees and such altering the natural course of things. The old quarter was built before that on solid grounds above sea level (as has been mentioned) and was not therefore prone to flooding. It wasn't the hurricane that destroyed New Orleans, it was technology. They knew it was coming and had expected it for years.
The Mississippi and Missouri are supposed to flood. That's what the delats were for to absorb that.

Nice pix Peter. He had more from his trips, seems he really got around, but too many for me to host.
Thanks