Post here your Elvis' pictures

Where and When??: Odd photo!!!

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:55 pm

Came across on FB, and this is an important photo.

The suit dates it at 1972, without question, but "where" and "when" in that year? Because, this photo is unusual.

Look at his face and body. He looks like "1970," but it's '72. I'm betting early in the year. It looks like the MSG suit, but I'm betting earlier!

72LooksLike70FaceandBody.jpg

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Where and When??: Odd photo!!!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:15 am

rjm wrote:Came across on FB, and this is an important photo.

The suit dates it at 1972, without question, but "where" and "when" in that year? Because, this photo is unusual.

Look at his face and body. He looks like "1970," but it's '72. I'm betting early in the year. It looks like the MSG suit, but I'm betting earlier!

rjm

Elvis first wore this suit at MSG so it can't be earlier. He also wore this one at Las Vegas during August and September. Hard to tell exactly as he isn't wearing a belt in that photo. That would have helped pinpoint it as he wore a different belt with it during the Vegas shows.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:06 am

Maybe a rehearsal. He spoke of rehearsing during the press conference. But, I'll tell you: he looks alarmingly different! (In a young man, "35" shouldn't look hardly any diff. than "37," but it's Elvis . . . He was "Moody Blue" -- always changing.

Here, he looks the same!

rjm

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 am

rjm wrote:Came across on FB, and this is an important photo.

rjm

It's almost certainly from the Hilton in August-September 1972. Not sure what is important about this image -- he'd trimmed down a bit for this engagement, when compared to the June tour.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 am

I would sayVegas too ,the audience seem very close

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 pm

keninlincs wrote:I would sayVegas too ,the audience seem very close

It's the orchestra :)
but yep, probably Vegas, August/sept.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:49 pm

It's not the audience Ken, it's the orchestra and the original photo has been doctored over Elvis's left shoulder. Here is the original with Joe Guercio ( if it is Joe Guercio, my eyes aren't what they used to be ) present. I'm not convinced it's Vegas as the microphone is different from photos taken during August... having said that, the microphone is slightly different from the one used at MSG too so it's a tricky one this. The clue which has just about clinched it for me is on the microphone wire, there is a white band around the wire which is also present on known MSG photos and not on Vegas photos...it's MSG for me :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Having said that, the plinth the orchestra are sitting on does look like it's carpeted so it could well be Vegas....I give up! :cry:

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm

This IS a hard one to date.
I agree with AlohaEagle that the microphone differs from the one used at the Aug/Sep 1972 Las Vegas engagement. And it doesn´t look like the MSG microphoe either.
However, during the January/February 1972 Las Vegas season Elvis did use a microphone that resembles the one in this photo.

COULD it be Jan/Feb 1972? Do we know for SURE that the suit wasn´t worn during this engagement?

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:03 pm

bripet56 wrote:However, during the January/February 1972 Las Vegas season Elvis did use a microphone that resembles the one in this photo.
http://www.brian56.dk

I don't suppose you have a photo handy do you Brian please? The only photos I have of January/ February in Vegas he is using a big head microphone. It would be a new thing for me if you have.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:19 pm

The photo is from the last MSG show. It was published in Tunzi´s 1993 book Elvis, Encore Performance II - In The Garden.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Well that's that sorted, thanks Fool...I like these little debates, any idea if it's the 10th or 11th June Fool? I think he took the belt off at both those shows so it's a tricky one.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:17 pm

June 11, 1972 MSG AS

for me, It's not Joe Guercio :mrgreen:

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 pm

The fool wrote:The photo is from the last MSG show. It was published in Tunzi´s 1993 book Elvis, Encore Performance II - In The Garden.

Nice work. I haven't looked at that book in 17 years.

Interesting that the mic for the last show was different to the other three.

720611_New York.JPG
On stage in New York, Sunday, June 11, 1972

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks Fool for the info. Now we can put that photo away.
Aloha Eagle, I got this one with a different microphone that I have dated as Jan/Feb 1972 Las Vegas.
7201-7202-Las Vegas-c01-bripet56.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:24 pm

steevefry wrote:June 11, 1972 MSG AS

for me, It's not Joe Guercio :mrgreen:

A fairly similar (and equally nice) shot appears on the back of the Japanese MSG LP;
JAP MADISON.jpg