Post here your Elvis' pictures

Detroit Sept 29 1974

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Apparently the booklet of the SA release of this show contains photos from the actual show. As I don't have that CD nor the booklet, I thought I'd add some photos from this show to this post for the benefit of those who have suffered a similar fate...

This show took place at the legendary Olympia in Detroit. The place has been torn down since the 1980s- Elvis visited it several times: his first visit there was on March 31 1957, and the final one almost exactly 20 years later, on April 22 1977.
Image Image

In 1974 he did two shows there 5 days apart. The second one is pretty well documented, the first one less so - at least that's how I feel. The first show was a Sunday matinee and it took place right after the worrying College Park shows. For years this was regarded as one of the really bad shows due to Rocky Barra's report - the recent recording revealed an OK show, especially considering the show night before.

I have no knowledge of where Elvis stayed in Detroit, but I assume he arrived there directly from College Park the night before. After some rest, it was already time to leave for the show.

Image Image

His arrival on stage made "the Olympia look and sound like an atomic testing ground" according to the local review. Lee Cotten's book had Elvis sounding and looking that way but the original meaning makes much more sense. :)

I have reviewed the show in another thread a year ago As already mentioned the show was released by SA. The cover photos front and back are not from this show. Are there any from Sept 29 in the booklet?

Locating photos from this show has been an iterative process in a true scientific fashion. :) I started with Francesc's site which provided me with this:

Then there was the photo posted by the fool here at FECC some time ago:

Only recently did I realize that the cover photo of one of the CDs in the first Profile box was from this show. An online search finally yielded the same photo - and as you can see, it was reversed on that CD cover.

And finally I came across some nice photos taken from behind the stage, which turned out to be very helpful in determining what everyone on stage were wearing! :)

To conclude, here's part of the original review, which was quite favorable, actually.

Presley sang "Fever," quivering in his familiar onstage ecstasy, as if his pelvis were hooked to a live plug. When the magic got too much for him, he fanned himself with the mike. Before he left, the lithe, strong-looking Presley gave them a couple of more bumps, and bent down to kiss an adoring blonde at ringside.
There must be more photos around from this show - for example, who took that quite professional looking shot that was on the Profile box? Shaver? If someone can add something here, please do! :)

(Although I fear that many of the photo experts have gone AWOL from here - and I don't blame them one bit... :? )

Re: Detroit Sept 29 1974

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:01 pm

CD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:04 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:11 pm

From Sean Shaver.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:14 pm

and a few more.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 am

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:23 am

Great Pictures -Ty for posting em
::rocks

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:35 am

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks for the additional photos - although, as I feared, none of the booklet photos are from Sept 29. :) The Shaver photos Kenny posted are from Oct 4

Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:25 pm

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Take a peek here as well 8)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... gon74.html