Post here your Elvis' pictures

Date/location of this 1956 photo please?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:47 am

I think the header says it all. Appreciate any help on great photo guys.

Re: Date/location of this 1956 photo please?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:36 am

It looks like it was taken in late 1955 to me.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:06 am

April 21, 1956. City Auditorium Houston, TX
http://scottymoore.net/houstonAud.html

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:26 am

IIRC, we first saw this great 4-21-1956 shot in an issue of EMM!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:50 pm

I believe Elvis is wearing the Milton Berle pink jacket.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:23 pm

pingpong wrote:I believe Elvis is wearing the Milton Berle pink jacket.

Milton Berle pink jacket?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:12 am

There were two perfromances. For one he wore the Lavendar one from the Berle show that was torn up in Miami in August. That shot though I believe is the yellow one with the black colllar he bought in Tulsa and wore in OKC days earlier
http://scottymoore.net/oklahomacity.html

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:44 am

JamesVRoy wrote:There were two perfromances. For one he wore the Lavendar one from the Berle show that was torn up in Miami in August. That shot though I believe is the yellow one with the black colllar he bought in Tulsa and wore in OKC days earlier
http://scottymoore.net/oklahomacity.html

Neither lavender nor yellow is pink. Thanks.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 am

Could be Ping was posting after seeing something alone these lines? ::rocks
... it is the jacket in question right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:08 am

it was pink and worn on the Milton Berle show as well as in Vegas and on the road. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:10 am

Elton wrote:Could be Ping was posting after seeing something alone these lines? ::rocks

yes the same jacket. Pink with feint white squares.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:13 am

James I thought it was the pink one but I bow to your expertise.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:30 am

..... The color lavender might be described as a medium violet or a light pinkish violet.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Elton wrote:Could be Ping was posting after seeing something alone these lines? ::rocks

That is the lavendar one, or the one that has been described as pink.

elviscoat041803.jpg

It was worn on the Milton Berle show and was torn up in Miami but that is not the jacked that is in the picture in question. The one in question has a black felt collar and was described as yellow in OKC the previous day. They are distinguishable in these two other shots from the same venue that day.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 pm

No pink jacket on Berle, as I suspected. Thanks James.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:13 am

JamesVRoy wrote:

elviscoat041803.jpg

It was worn on the Milton Berle show and was torn up in Miami but that is not the jacked that is in the picture in question. The one in question has a black felt collar and was described as yellow in OKC the previous day. They are distinguishable in these two other shots from the same venue that day.

thanks for the useful information James.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:13 pm

pingpong wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

elviscoat041803.jpg

I would still like clarification on the colour James if you could....."At least one fan managed to tear the singer’s pink jacket to shreds".

from your site....Fans getting over excited and managing to tear Elvis' lavender (pink) jacket
Photoplay magazine photo courtesy FECC/Brian Petersen

During one of the performances at the Olympia, the fans close to the stage got hold of Elvis lavender (pink) jacket and tore parts of it from him. In a retrospective article in the Miami Herald on the 50th Anniversary of the Miami concert, Margaria Fichtner quoted local Miami historian Arva Moore Parks who was in line waiting to see the show, "The line from the box office zigzagged for blocks, and I was standing right about where the side door of the Gusman is. So the first show came out, and there were grown women, I mean not teenagers, carrying pieces of his pink coat."

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:36 am

pingpong wrote:
pingpong wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

elviscoat041803.jpg

I would still like clarification on the colour James if you could....."At least one fan managed to tear the singer’s pink jacket to shreds".

from your site....Fans getting over excited and managing to tear Elvis' lavender (pink) jacket

During one of the performances at the Olympia, the fans close to the stage got hold of Elvis lavender (pink) jacket and tore parts of it from him. In a retrospective article in the Miami Herald on the 50th Anniversary of the Miami concert, Margaria Fichtner quoted local Miami historian Arva Moore Parks who was in line waiting to see the show, "The line from the box office zigzagged for blocks, and I was standing right about where the side door of the Gusman is. So the first show came out, and there were grown women, I mean not teenagers, carrying pieces of his pink coat."

The color is lavender, the sample of which you see in the photo. That is a fragment that Del Puschert saved and was referenced in that article as pink. I put "pink" in parentheses after lavender on the page when I referenced it to clarify that it was the same one they referred to in the reviews, not to imply the colors are the same. What color it actually looked like at that time in theater lighting I can't say, possibly pink because that seems to have propagated. The color also loomed large in legend at the time considering the clothes he wore in 54 and 55 and the color he painted his Cadillacs. That jacket though, for all intents and purposes was lavender, more accurately described as a shade of purple than pink, in my opinion.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:43 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
pingpong wrote:
pingpong wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:

elviscoat041803.jpg

The color is lavender, the sample of which you see in the photo. That is a fragment that Del Puschert saved and was referenced in that article as pink. I put "pink" in parentheses after lavender on the page when I referenced it to clarify that it was the same one they referred to in the reviews, not to imply the colors are the same. What color it actually looked like at that time in theater lighting I can't say, possibly pink because that seems to have propagated. The color also loomed large in legend at the time considering the clothes he wore in 54 and 55 and the color he painted his Cadillacs. That jacket though, for all intents and purposes was lavender, more accurately described as a shade of purple than pink, in my opinion.

I can understand the confusion, especially with stage lighting. Many thanks for clearing this up James.