Post here your Elvis' pictures

'Train Mystery': Paper seeks info about girl in 1960 photo

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 am

Guy Reynolds, The Dallas Morning News' night photo editor, discovered this image in the newspaper's archives.

He hopes he may be able to get more information about the 5-year-old girl kissing Elvis during his brief stop in April 1960 at Union Station in Dallas.

Read the full account of how the photo was found, and see the original coverage by Jim Lehrer, later of MacNeil/Lehrer Report on PBS.
Last edited by elvissessions on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 'Train Mystery': Paper seeks info about girl in 1960 pho

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks for posting. Cute picture.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Awesome. Here's the original piece
http://photographyblog.dallasnews.com/2012/08/elvis-presleys-brief-train-stop-at-union-station-was-headline-news-in-1960.html/

and the picture a bit bigger

Lehrer id'd her at the time as Margaret Ann Hollis

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:28 pm

She looks abit like Shirley Temple

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:43 pm

LuckyJackson2 wrote:She looks abit like Shirley Temple

She's, at the most, 57 today. Hope they find her.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 am

We may not have identified the girl yet, but I'm happy to report that the search has established contact between The Dallas Morning News photo editor and noted author David English (Welcome Home Elvis and From Memphis to Hollywood).

Although a lot of us are still waiting for delivery of the From Memphis book, it turns out David is well aware of the image in question.

I've filed an update to my original post at elvissessions.net.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:20 am

The search for the 5-year-girl shown kissing Elvis at Union Station in Dallas has gained some traction nationally, with National Public Radio and The Atlantic taking notice.

But the potentially more interesting news is that we have several leads to pursue on identifying the girl. The Dallas Morning News will be chasing those tomorrow, though it may take a while to run everything down.

Just for fun, I've posted how Morning News' rival the Fort Worth Star-Telegram handled the story.

Let's just say, they went with a different angle.

You can see the details -- and their photo -- here: http://elvissessions.net/?p=325

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:59 pm

elvissessions wrote:The search for the 5-year-girl shown kissing Elvis at Union Station in Dallas has gained some traction nationally, with National Public Radio and The Atlantic taking notice.

But the potentially more interesting news is that we have several leads to pursue on identifying the girl. The Dallas Morning News will be chasing those tomorrow, though it may take a while to run everything down.

Just for fun, I've posted how Morning News' rival the Fort Worth Star-Telegram handled the story.

Let's just say, they went with a different angle.

You can see the details -- and their photo -- here: http://elvissessions.net/?p=325

I like the morning news' story too. Always wondered about that picture. Its cool to hear the backstory

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:50 am

C'mon guys don't you recognize her? .....It's Priscilla ! :D

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:42 am

She has been found, and you can click through to the whole story here:

‘Train Mystery’ solved: Girl photographed kissing Elvis in 1960 found

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:55 am

121027_Dallas News_Margie_Crawford.jpg
"Time stopped. He was just so nice," says Margaret Ann Hollis of her April 19, 1960, encounter with the King.
"I did not wash my face for a long period of time."

Photo: Michael Ainsworth, Dallas News Staff Photographer
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20121027-dallas-girl-who-stole-kiss-from-elvis-in-1960-reveals-story-behind-the-photo.ece
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:50 pm

elvissessions wrote:She has been found, and you can click through to the whole story here:

‘Train Mystery’ solved: Girl photographed kissing Elvis in 1960 found

Cool

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:35 am

To me it looks like Elvis is snatching her in his arms as Jimmy Savile was just out of shot! LOL.