Post here your Elvis' pictures

An Easter Gift . . . VERY special photos

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:44 pm

I said I would NEVER post these photos on the 'net, and tonight I scanned them in for the first time ever. They were taken in 1979, at Graceland. Please do not share them around. I beg your understanding, as to how personal this was for me.

The first one is of Elvis's grave, and you will notice that Vernon is not buried there at the time. He was still alive, and it was about this time of year. Spring. Muddy.

Elvis's grave. Without his father, who was alive. Probably there.

ElvisGrave_NoVernon1979.jpg

I knelt, and my corduroy jeans got mud on them; I have them, just a few feet from here. I always will. I knelt to place my rose, and all of a sudden I could sort of "hear" "Danny Boy" at the point where he sings about it. I told him that I loved him. Aloud. And I placed the rose, said a little prayer, and used the Poloroid. I wasn't into "photography" in that way just yet. Soon, but not yet.

ElvisGrave_MyOneAndOnlyRose1979_crop.jpg

Now, a few months later. I said I'd never post this photo, but life is short, and I can't take it with me. There is only one similar photo I've ever found on the 'net. This is just for you. Please do NOT pass it around the 'net. rjm@FECC Copyright. 1979. I would never ask this about anything else. Almost no else was there. It was also an overcast day.

Here goes: just for you:

VernonGrave_1979.jpg

Happy Easter,
Sweet Passover,
Happy Spring,

rjm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: An Easter Gift . . . VERY special photos

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:53 pm

I needed to include this music. It meant so much to me then.

phpBB [video]

One more. I came to find the place where he was lying. And here I am, with those brown corduroys that still have the mud on them. Swear to God.

Me_Graceland_1979.jpg

rjm
P.S. -- Somebody made a sweet video; it goes well with the photos. Perhaps one day, I . . . don't think so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Aww a big ole thank you Robin,for sharing such personal pix!!
Sometimes it's the little things that mean so much to us.
8) 8) 8) ....keep those cords girl mud and all !!!

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Elton wrote:Aww a big ole thank you Robin,for sharing such personal pix!!
Sometimes it's the little things that mean so much to us.
8) 8) 8) ....keep those cords girl mud and all !!!

Thank you, Elton. :smt006

Robin
P.S. -- Those cords will be with me 'till I leave this plane of existence. And maybe even then . . .

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Fantastic photos. Thank you for sharing them. :D

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Thank you, rj, I can tell how much that moment meant to you.

Happy Easter, friend.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks for sharing you pictures, rjm! Very nice.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:50 am

Thanks for sharing your memories and feelings in this special day. And many thanks for the images ::rocks

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:26 am

You're quite welcome.

I figured I could keep them in a drawer, forever . . . but that seemed to make less and less sense.

I also had just listened to the How Great Thou Art album, after midnight, and it's that time of year . . . so

You're very welcome, and thank you so much! Hope your egg hunts and other holiday pleasures are going well! :D

rjm :smt006

::rocks

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:34 am

George Smith wrote:Thank you, rj, I can tell how much that moment meant to you.

Happy Easter, friend.

Backatcha! (And everyone!)

Times have changed. We can't get into the park that we live right next to!

http://www.irvineparkrailroad.com/ ("Welcome" -- not today.)

Barbecues, hayrides, watching the kids hunting for eggs and having fun, the choo-choo all done up for Easter (we were going to get some sweet-potato-fries with "Jerry's Dogs" {wood-fired!}, and have a little picnic. . ., ride bikes), but if I get in the car, I can't get back in my own street! There are cops here, who say "you can't go in to this street; you're disturbing the residents." "But I AM a resident." "Yeah, yeah . . . move along." And so, you quickly go for the ID, before he maybe draws a weapon! :lol: {Randy Newman: "I Love L.A.!" :roll: }

Oh, to be in Memphis! THAT feels so like home.

rjm

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 am

thanks for sharing your story. Made me silent. Seeing Elvis grave always makes me sad. Always got the feeling he deserved more from life then what he got no matter how famous he was.....

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 pm

riley wrote:thanks for sharing your story. Made me silent. Seeing Elvis grave always makes me sad. Always got the feeling he deserved more from life then what he got no matter how famous he was.....

You're welcome. It was very sad back then. A different feeling than today, with the whole thing they've got going now. It was a simple, sort of "everyday" type situation. You crossed the street normally. Stayed as long as you liked. Looked at the horses, or their area . . . (yeah, you could get pretty close -- not like later, but I've got it on Polaroid, the horse area). And you could just mosey around the grounds almost at your leisure.

It was so very sad, but at the same time, it felt like . . . home. Hard to describe.

He so deserved more. The dirt then . . . was just dirt. You know? It felt like death ought to feel. Not like Disneyland. No ice cream parlors . . . or what have you. People lived there. And you knew, really knew, someone died there.

rjm

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:15 pm

i think Elvis should have been burried in an above the ground mausoleum on Graceland property . Not in the ground. I read it was something he was so afraid of and yet.... no one held foot to respect his wishes

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Thank you RJM .

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:46 pm

lvs4evr wrote:many thanks for sharing your rare photos and painful memories. I remember the first time i saw the grave it was back in 87 , and it was so full of people , all i wanted was for many of them to have respect for him and keep quiet , so many of thegawkers were busy talking . laughing and one impersonator started singing love me tender - i kid you not.
Again thank you for sharing /postin , it is much appreciated , and i know exactly how you feel.

Sheesh, really? I've heard things like that before.

I have visited Elvis's grave probably two dozen times, and never once have I experienced anything but respectful quiet. I have been lucky, I guess....

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks for sharing that special moment with us, rjm.. :)

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks for sharing your memories & photos

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 pm

rjm wrote:Oh, to be in Memphis! THAT feels so like home.
I absolutely agree with you. Thank you so much for sharing these personal memories with us, Robin.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Thanks, everyone! I feel so much better about posting these pics, now. Really.

It was an unusual time, I guess, to be there. I couldn't believe, really, that they just let people wander around. There were a few ropes, and there was that little metal chain around the graves, but it was nothing, really.

Back in the springtime, Vernon had a little box made up, and the wording was hand-lettered. I don't have a pic of it, but it asked people to help with the upkeep of Graceland. It was very touching, and I put a 20 dollar bill in it.

Just so very different.

rjm
P.S. -- Later, several years later, when the house was open, I DID see something awful at the graves. This little kid - about 10 or so, poured a can of grape soda on Elvis Presley's grave! People were staring . . . mostly at his mother, who didn't say anything. It was surreal! Nobody knew how to react, and it didn't seem real. Other than that, people are usually most respectful. They get quiet when they reach that point of the tour.

Back in '79, of course, there was no tour, or even thoughts of one. (I had/have a guide, a book, that had all the spots, addresses in Elvis's early life. And so we went on our own Memphis tour. Saw everything that could be seen, really. Have pretty early pics of The Pink Cadillac, etc. Continued with it each time. Early Graceland tour shots {when they had human tour guides!} Ran out of film at the most annoying moments! I think I might have some pics from Audubon Drive, I have shots of American Sound, lots from Sun, etc. Going through the '80s. Something unfortunate happened to the disposable camera in the '90s, seriously, but you've all been since that time, anyway.)

Had some interesting interactions, sometimes, too. They're in the archives.

Thanks again! :smt006

::rocks

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Great reading your posts rjm, i've never been to Graceland in fact never been to America so i'd love to read more of your posts concerning your Elvis experience.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:13 am

jinjoe wrote:Great reading your posts rjm, i've never been to Graceland in fact never been to America so i'd love to read more of your posts concerning your Elvis experience.

One day, as an Elvis fan, you MUST see America! So, here are a couple that didn't make it into my new video, that I scanned, but didn't use. Both, Memphis. (They are large, because they were scanned to make a video, but these didn't make final cut. {Filmspeak. :lol: )

The Big River is really something. For years, I had a leaf in my wallet that I pulled off a tree that swished by the riverboat.

MissBridge_RiverScene.jpg

Here's what it looked like across from Graceland, in the early days:

Souvenirs.jpg

rjm

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Just came across this thread. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the stories. I can't believe that kid poured grape soda on Elvis' grave!! :evil: Glad I wasn't there that day!

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:57 pm

sgoodyear62 wrote:I can't believe that kid poured grape soda on Elvis' grave!! :evil: Glad I wasn't there that day!

Oh, that's tame compared to what some here have done.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:24 pm

rjm wrote:
jinjoe wrote:Great reading your posts rjm, i've never been to Graceland in fact never been to America so i'd love to read more of your posts concerning your Elvis experience.

One day, as an Elvis fan, you MUST see America! So, here are a couple that didn't make it into my new video, that I scanned, but didn't use. Both, Memphis. (They are large, because they were scanned to make a video, but these didn't make final cut. {Filmspeak. :lol: )

The Big River is really something. For years, I had a leaf in my wallet that I pulled off a tree that swished by the riverboat.

MissBridge_RiverScene.jpg

Here's what it looked like across from Graceland, in the early days:

Souvenirs.jpg

rjm

Super photo's & stories rjm please share more when you can

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:53 pm

Rob wrote:
sgoodyear62 wrote:I can't believe that kid poured grape soda on Elvis' grave!! :evil: Glad I wasn't there that day!

Oh, that's tame compared to what some here have done.

And they happily -- some might say giddily -- shared photos of their actions. Fun stuff.