Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: STRICTLY ELVIS No. 60 - 82 revisited

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 pm

This is a very cool reivew of '76 by my ol' buddy Ron Wolf. Interesting to note THE LITERATURE and how many books and magazines were covering Elvis in 1976. Check out THE WORLD TOUR and TELEVISON segments:
SEG 11 review.jpg

SEG 12.jpg

This photo is one of my top 5 favorite. And it's actually the reason why I stared this thread. I've not seen this any where else. It was shot by Ron Rowe in Kalamazoo (4/26/77). I love the "in the moment" feel of right after CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE...the "ON TOUR 77" look (at the end of the movie). The action of the other flash going off in front of the stage adds a cool back light. And Joe looks intense. I can't figure out how Mr. Rowe was in the right place at the right time. Almost as if he's on the steps waiting for Elvis to come off stage. To me, a great action shot, anyone have this in color? Anyone know Mr. Rowe? I'd love to hear a first had account of him taking this shot.
SEG 13 bk.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 pm

I forgot to mention, from time to time you'd get these postcards or fliers in the mail:
SEG 13 tour dates.jpg

Here's a HAPPY shot of Elvis on the back cover.
SEG 15 cover.jpg

A fairly rare shot from South Bend '76 and a reflection from George Hill.
SEG 15.jpg

This was the last issue that I got...I never sent in my renewal. What was the point? No more tours or new jumpsuits......sigh.
SEG 15 mail.jpg

Well, that's ALL FOLKS. I tell my kids that in this age where they are bombarded with minute to minute multi-media...back in the 70's a new LP or the arrival of SE was your entertainment FOR THE WEEK. You poured over every song, note, article for days. Thanks for sharing in my trip down memory lane.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:24 pm

These are great magazines and can give good clues to date some other photos. I do have some of these. After Al Bigalow, the fanzines were taking over by Steve Chambless. After that they closed down but I dont remember what was their last number.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 pm

brad wrote:Nice close up cover.
SEG 5 cover.jpg

Again our social network was growing. I blocked out everyone's address in case they still live at the same address. This "Pen Pal/Want Adds/For Sale page grew to 3 - 5 pages. I didn't mind that so much cause of the people you could meet (and I did write to and order from these folks). But I didn't like the poetry and the fan drawings...but some of the issues grew to 38 or 40 pages in lenght...so they added some fluff. But still covered the concerts and had great photos!!!!!
SEG 5 penpals.jpg

On this one he looks like Napoleon! :shock: :smt005

Thank a lot for all these incredible pics !

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:34 pm

WoW very cool thread..thankyou for sharing ::rocks

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:40 am

This is one of my favorite Strictly mags from Dec 1969...

Great cover!

Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:42 am

....News of the month

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these Brad - I just spent a ton of time looking at the photos and reading the articles - a great publication in it's day, very well done!
Last edited by paulsweeney on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:08 am

Great scanes, thanks Brad.
That '77 leaving stage photo is indeed very interesting.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:37 pm

SO Glad everyone likes these!!!!

And thanks VEGAS74 for the additions (I encourage anyone to add their favorite issues).

That Dec. 69 issue is a perfect example of how on top of things SE was. Even tho it was 3 months after the engagement - GREAT COVERAGE!!! And it shows the FACEBOOK generation how long it took to get info back then...ha.

That issue must have been exciting for long time fans to see ELVIS back on stage after 10 years of movies. And with the "news" of a possible tour....wow.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Scanned another fav of mine..June 1970
Back then it would have been wonderful to see theses pics for the first time!

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:10 pm

...news of the month

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:39 pm

brad wrote:CHECK THIS OUT...this is the most interesting find of my "research". I remember the day this issue arrived and saw Elvis on Lamar's back (I thought it was hilarious)...I knew nothing else about the Closeing show in Vegas 73 at the time of this issue.

But look close:
SE 75 pg 10.jpg

I included SE's PHOTO CREDIT...3am closing show? August?
Elvis isn't wearing the MEMPHIS suit...it appears to be the Blue Target suit.
He must have rode on Larmar's back more often than we thought (or that I knew of) in Aug/Sept of '73.

This photo is from the 3 a.m. show that Elvis did in the morning of September 2, 1973. (EDITED)

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
Last edited by bripet56 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't know...the pants leg looks more like the BLUE Star-burst suit rather than the Memphis Suit worn on 3AM Sept.3, 1973 show?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:36 am

brad wrote:I don't know...the pants leg looks more like the BLUE Star-burst suit rather than the Memphis Suit worn on 3AM Sept.3, 1973 show?

Sorry, I should have written:

This photo is from the 3 a.m. show that Elvis did in the morning of September 2, 1973.

I´ll edit my answer above.

By the way, the closing show wasn´t held at 3 am.

Elvis did an extra show in the morning of September 2 followed by the DS and MS on Sep2 and the DS and MS on Sep 3.

Here Elvis is prior to going on stage for the 3 am show in the morning of September 2, 1973.

730902-Las Vegas-3am-bc02-terryFECC.jpg

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:37 am

Perfect! Thanks for clearing that up!!

So Lamar was used twice!

We've discussed this here before the confusing nature of the DATES/Time of the 3AM shows... If I was to give 3 concerts "tonight" (August 8th)
Show 1 at 8PM - August 8
Show 2 at Midnight - August 8
and because...I guess I didn't go to bed...it's still "tonight"
Show 3 at 3AM...but it's really now August 9th.

So you could see my concerts "tonight" and say I saw brad 3 times on August 8th. But really it's twice on 8/8 and once on 8/9.
40 years after the fact these late night shows are hard to keep track of...at least in my mind.

It's like that old Buggs Bunny/Daffy Duck Routine where Bugg's tells him again he can be on the show "NEXT WEEK" and Daffy replies (something like - couldn't find a clip):
"Let's see: This week was next week, last week. That means this week isn't last week until next week ...".
(it's funnier when they do it).
But THANKS for setting me straight!!!