Post here your Elvis' pictures

STRICTLY ELVIS No. 60 - 82 revisited

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:34 pm

I pulled out old SE to write my review of OK, ALRIGHT, YOU WIN and had a blast going over the old issues. Turns out on August 27 2008 (yes '08 - sorry). I said that I would "scan some of my favorites"...Sorry it took so long. But I found some photos that I don't think have made it on the forum. They are too cool to be hidden in the print world.

My family was in Memphis in 2008 and as we were standing in Elvis' front yard (in front of the graves and the pool), my dad looked out over the property and said with a sigh..."it was like he was one of the the family." So I don't have Rocky's permission or any of the photographers, but in the spirit of shareing from my family to my extended family in Elvis World and on this forum I would like to share with you some great artifacts from STRICTLY ELVIS No. 60 thru 82.

I don't think I'll get them all posted today...so stay tuned this week.

SE 60 cover.jpg

This is a cool collage - forgive me if you seen these before.

SE 60 BK Detroit 72.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: STRICTLY ELVIS No. 60 - 82 revisited

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:40 pm

I'll be skipping a few...as the point is to show photos & articles that we haven't seen (much of). But I'll try and put the cover in for reference.
SE 63 cover.jpg

This collage of the charts is fun, it gives the Aloha LP a frame of reference.

SE 63 center.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:46 pm

No. 60 was actually the start of my subscription...I must have BACK ORDERED the first 2. This copy is WELL WORN....I love it.

SE 64 cover.jpg

I love this photo...it so captures a stage view that you only get if you were there.

SE 64 detroit 72.jpg

I don't remember the dog photo...but I saw it first here.

SE 64 pg13.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:00 pm

Nice covers, 65 is from Mobile
SE 65 cover.jpg

I love the action shot on the back cover...it's from Cincinnati

SE 66 cover.jpg

This is a cool shot (back cover) I don't know how they got it...I've never been to the Myriad in Oklahoma City but it appears that the upper balconies were fairly close.
SE 67 cover.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 pm

Opps, I'm trying to keep the files/issues together.

Don't know if this is rare...so again forgive me...these photos are like old jokes you've heard before...some are worth telling again.

I'm trying to prevail a sense of being a kid in the 1970's, waiting for the mail man to come (he was like Santa) and thumbing through the lastest issue. I'm suprised that even though it was monthly, reading through the pages the information was up to the minute stuff. And Rocky took the fan club Newsletter to a new level of dealing with the MUSIC and the Shows...no gossip, or rumors or love life info...it was ELVIS NOW.

SE 67 pg23.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Sure thing, glad you enjoy it!

SE 68 cover.jpg

This was our Social Network in 1973. Here we have my first introduction to George Hill, I ordered 2 of these sets, but I'm pretty sure I ordered from Sean Shaver first, although I coresponded more often with George Hill and Bob Heis.
SE 68 Hill.jpg

Here is the man of the hour!
SE 68 pg1&2.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:37 pm

I skipped a couple covers (not Rare). This is a spread from the SE Special Edition ELVIS NOW...at the time it was 32 pages of UNSEEN photos (no text)...but now, none are rare execpt maybe this spread...I like the cape draped over the shoulder shot on the left.
SE 69NOW cover.jpg

This is from SE #70. Sean Shaver covered the St. Louis shows...since he lived there. But I didn't recognise this photographer...thus, maybe this is rare. Great shot anyway.
SE 70.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:42 pm

I believe Rocky sold the magazine in the late 70's/ early 80's and it ran a bit but eventually folded if I am not mistaken. Rocky eventually became a minister I believe. He has been interviewed at least once or twice after his association with the magazine ended. Unfortunately I am not sure where these interviews could be located.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 pm

This Cover shot is by Christa Trant from the Seattle '73 show.
SE 72 cover.jpg

More EXTRAS...check out those prices!!!!!!!!!
SE 72 sale items.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Here is a great 2008 interview!

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_rockybarra.html

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 pm

No. 75
SE 75 cover.jpg

CHECK THIS OUT...this is the most interesting find of my "research". I remember the day this issue arrived and saw Elvis on Lamar's back (I thought it was hilarious)...I knew nothing else about the Closeing show in Vegas 73 at the time of this issue.

But look close:
SE 75 pg 10.jpg

I included SE's PHOTO CREDIT...3am closing show? August?
Elvis isn't wearing the MEMPHIS suit...it appears to be the Blue Target suit.
He must have rode on Larmar's back more often than we thought (or that I knew of) in Aug/Sept of '73.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 pm

I like this close up
SE 76 cover.jpg

I put these 2 photos together Pages 9 and 12

SE 76 pg 9 & 12.jpg

and page 30...another photo by an unknown photographer. This might have been the first time "we" got to see the Embroidery Eagle suit.
SE 76 pg 30.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:11 pm

Not sure if the Back cover is rare (form ON TOUR)...but I like the softness of it.
SE 78 cover.jpg

Another shot from B. Walters in Kansas City plus the article is about Elvis in Vegas in August 1974.
SE 78 pg 13.jpg

Here is an exerpt from the article about Opening night
SE 78 14 15.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:23 pm

I prefer more timely photos for the covers...
SE 79 cover.jpg

Here is an article about the Karate movie and even when Elvis was alive his cars were on display.
SE 79 fingers.jpg

This is hot off the press...
SE 79 news 1.jpg

I didn't know who Vicki Carr was in 1974...and I don't remember reading this THEN...but I just read about this story (with PHOTO) for the first time (well 2nd) RIGHT here on this forum just last year. But goes to show how on top of things SE was.
SE 79 news 2.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:41 pm

No 80...one of my favorites
SE 80 cover.jpg

Being a Jumpsuit Junkie from this issue on...my imagination ran wild at the discription of these new suits...I had seen the Light Blue Pheonix suit the summer before on the cover of a Movie Magazine. I didn't see that design again until the afternoon Elvis walked on stage in Charleston WV '75, but the suit was dark blue with a silver eagle.
SE 80 pg1.jpg

This is the begining of the infamous article Rocky wrote about the October 74 tour...I include it here because this was the first VIEW of the Dragon Jumpsuit.
SE 80 pg2.jpg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 pm

Ahhhh the Mad Tiger suit...and I'm gonna call this shot RARE(?) Great cover! My High Shool was "the Tigers".
SE 81 cover.jpg

2 great shots of the Dragon suit (RARE?)
SE 81 Detroit 1.jpg

SE 81 Detroit 2 Bk.jpg

This is the inside back cover...for 30 years I never notice that this photo might be faked...SE NEVER did this (on purpose...this might have snuck thru)...but on closer observation I think Ann was superiposed on Elvis...I'd like to see more of her...'er I mean an UNCROPPED version that is.
The caption says Elvis and Ann backstage August 1969 (?)
SE 81 inside bkcover.jpg

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:22 am

brad wrote:I prefer more timely photos for the covers...
SE 79 cover.jpg

Here is an article about the Karate movie and even when Elvis was alive his cars were on display.
SE 79 fingers.jpg

This is hot off the press...
SE 79 news 1.jpg

I didn't know who Vicki Carr was in 1974...and I don't remember reading this THEN...but I just read about this story (with PHOTO) for the first time (well 2nd) RIGHT here on this forum just last year. But goes to show how on top of things SE was.
SE 79 news 2.jpg

My fav mags Brad!...should ad this to that Vicky Carr topic!

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:16 am

Fabulous Brad. "Strictly Elvis" was a brilliant publication at the time. It appears as though Rocky is still collecting which is great.
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/interview_rockybarra.html

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:02 pm

These shots are not rare (there were cool at the time)...but I love the Cape shot on the cover...talk about being at the right place at the right time (and the right lens).
SE 82 cover.jpg

Well, If I were a heroin addict, but my drug of choice was color Elvis photos, printed on Kodak paper from the negitive that was in the camera AT the Elvis concert, THIS PAGE is the reason why. My fasination/love/devotion (???) started on a page (a few issues prior) just like this one.
I ordered Sets #1 then 6,7,8, 11, 12...not sure why I didn't order 9 & 10???, maybe got those suits from George Hill? But I have 20+ photo albums from the day...still enjoy thuming through...the pages are yellow...and some of the photos have faded (thank goodness for the internet).
SE 82 extras.jpg

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:10 pm

#82 was the Last of Rockys publication, then All and Dee Bigelow took over and did STRICTLY ELVIS GENERATION. They were hit by economics of the time...the paper was thinner, they had to use a smaller size Halftone, no full bleeds on the full pages...but still they did a great job. My subscription ran out...so I didn't get ISSUE Number one.
SEG 2 cover.jpg

SEG 2 pg9.jpg

I like the shots where you can see more of the enviroment of the arena!!!!

Rocky Barra was still on board (listed in the credits as "Record NEWS") - here is a segment of his review of the newly released TODAY LP.

SEG 2 pg15.jpg

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:14 pm

SEG 3 cover.jpg

You get a hometown, family closeness to Al and Dee's new version.

SEG 3 inside.jpg

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:18 pm

brad wrote:The caption says Elvis and Ann backstage August 1969 (?)
SE 81 inside bkcover.jpg

Looks like a montage :?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Nice close up cover.
SEG 5 cover.jpg

Again our social network was growing. I blocked out everyone's address in case they still live at the same address. This "Pen Pal/Want Adds/For Sale page grew to 3 - 5 pages. I didn't mind that so much cause of the people you could meet (and I did write to and order from these folks). But I didn't like the poetry and the fan drawings...but some of the issues grew to 38 or 40 pages in lenght...so they added some fluff. But still covered the concerts and had great photos!!!!!
SEG 5 penpals.jpg

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 pm

I can't stress enough the fun, excitment, enjoyment I had (I assume we all had) getting a new issue and seeing Elvis in a new Jumpsuit. This was the very first time we all got a look at these suits, photos and concert reviews.
SEG 6 Ashville7 23.jpg

SEG 7 Hunts & JC Tenn.jpg

SEG 7 pg 11 Charlotte.jpg

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Some bicentennial graphics for Issue #8
SEG 8 cover.jpg

SEG 10 cover.jpg

SEG 11 cover.jpg