Post here your Elvis' pictures

The original Aloha LP cover?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:36 am

This interesting news item was in Sean Shaver´s club magazine 72-6, published in either November or December 1972.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The original Aloha LP cover?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 am

Thanks for posting. Interesting article. The final shot they chose was awful.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 am

Much prefer the final chosen San Antonio picture. The quadraphonic album was particularly cool.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:38 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Much prefer the final chosen San Antonio picture. The quadraphonic album was particularly cool.

I don't think that photo is from San Antonio.

Different hairstyle I think.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:03 pm

The shot used in the original cover looks like the cover shot used on FTD's "Standing Room Only" vinyl set.

I believe that shot is from Knoxville, TN from April of 1972. This makes sense because FTD notes it was considered as the original cover photo for the aborted Standing Room Lp.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:09 am

Cool I never know that photo was considered.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48 am

Mike C wrote:The shot used in the original cover looks like the cover shot used on FTD's "Standing Room Only" vinyl set. I believe that shot is from Knoxville, TN from April of 1972.

Good eye, Mike! That´s it. The owl suit photo was taken by Ed Bonja in Greensboro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:12 am

Val wrote:I don't think that photo is from San Antonio.

Different hairstyle I think.

I agree. It´s a Bonja shot from april 11, Roanoke.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:44 pm

The fool wrote:This interesting news item was in Sean Shaver´s club magazine 72-6, published in either November or December 1972.

Nice article. Thanks for posting.

I didn't care for the final photo, the artwork inside gatefold and the inner sleeve side picturing Elvis with Hawaiian women. Other than that, they did a nice job.

I read due to time constraints, did not allow them to do everything they had wanted to do. But if the only change was for the photo, I think they had other opportunities to make a much better package. For inside gatefold, it would have been nice to have photos from the Press Conferences: at Hilton, Las Vegas Sept. 4, '72 to announce the "Aloha From Hawaii" concert and Honolulu Nov. 20, '72.

It would have been great showing Elvis arriving in Honolulu, Jan. 9, '73 than the pic with Elvis and Hawaiian woman. But they probably did not have enough time.

http://www.elvisrecords.us/vpsx-6089-al ... satellite/

Press Conference Hilton, Las Vegas Sept. 4, '72

http://photos.elvispresley.com.au/apach ... 1972-1.htm

Press Conference Honolulu, Nov. 20, '72.
http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pic ... rence.html

Arriving In Hawaii Jan. 9, '73
http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pic ... ary_9.html

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:40 pm

My bet is that Parker was simply cheap and thought the Hawaiian women shot would cost less.

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:09 am

Mike C wrote:My bet is that Parker was simply cheap and thought the Hawaiian women shot would cost less.

Good point, Parker wanted to save money. Good thing Parker changed his mind on his first choice...

http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pic ... ber_9.html

Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am

And Parker was probably proud that the Hawaiian woman shot looked cheap! Even as a kid, I could clearly see that Elvis was cut and pasted into that shot.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:25 pm

So why didn't they have time to used pictures from the actual event? Everyone of Elvis's live albums failed to use pictures from the actual event. I can sort of see the last live Album "Elvis In Concert" since they didn't want to show Elvis's actual condition but why not any of the others?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 am

eligain wrote:So why didn't they have time to used pictures from the actual event? Everyone of Elvis's live albums failed to use pictures from the actual event. I can sort of see the last live Album "Elvis In Concert" since they didn't want to show Elvis's actual condition but why not any of the others?

January's concert was rush released and hit the stores in February, a month later. I recall reading in order to get it out quickly that RCA had the gatefold jackets and inner sleeves already made. They just needed to press the records, place records inside sleeves/jackets, shrink-wrap, apply stickers, box and off to stores.

RCA was one of the first companies to release quadraphonic product in the US. Some say the LPs sounded flat and horribly trebly due to a poor, rushed 'let's get a new product on the market quick.'

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:30 am

eligain wrote:So why didn't they have time to used pictures from the actual event? Everyone of Elvis's live albums failed to use pictures from the actual event. I can sort of see the last live Album "Elvis In Concert" since they didn't want to show Elvis's actual condition but why not any of the others?

"On stage" has photos from the actual event.

//Björn

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 pm

EPA4368 wrote:

January's concert was rush released and hit the stores in February, a month later. I recall reading in order to get it out quickly that RCA had the gatefold jackets and inner sleeves already made. They just needed to press the records, place records inside sleeves/jackets, shrink-wrap, apply stickers, box and off to stores.

RCA was one of the first companies to release quadraphonic product in the US. Some say the LPs sounded flat and horribly trebly due to a poor, rushed 'let's get a new product on the market quick.'

I understand about rushing it out but it didn't take days or weeks to develop photos back in 73. They could be developed the same day. So what was so hard about getting pictures from the show processed and picking 2 for the inner sleeves within hours of the show or even better, processing pictures from the rehearsal show?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:39 pm

eligain wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:

I understand about rushing it out but it didn't take days or weeks to develop photos back in 73. They could be developed the same day. So what was so hard about getting pictures from the show processed and picking 2 for the inner sleeves within hours of the show or even better, processing pictures from the rehearsal show?

That's a good question. I would have thought they had enough time to use photos from the rehearsal show and for sure from the press conferences. It's probably like Mike C posted, "Parker was simply cheap."

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Much prefer the final chosen San Antonio picture. The quadraphonic album was particularly cool.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 pm

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:59 am

Delboy wrote:Thanks for posting. Interesting article. The final shot they chose was awful.

Agreed. The constipated look was a lousy choice of pics for that album.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 am

EPA4368 wrote:
eligain wrote:
EPA4368 wrote:

That's a good question. I would have thought they had enough time to use photos from the rehearsal show and for sure from the press conferences. It's probably like Mike C posted, "Parker was simply cheap."

It was probably that Parker tried to charge RCA a huge amount to use pictures from the event so they just went with the latest photos they had available.
Leave it to Parker's greed to ruin many of the latter record covers.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Agree, the original was terrible. Which picture from the show would you have used on the cover ?

Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:02 am

How about this one

Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:38 am

Rocker wrote:Agree, the original was terrible. Which picture from the show would you have used on the cover ?

That's a tough call. Elvis looked stunning in just about every pic from that show..........

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:22 pm

The Picture used on the "Fool" album would have been a good picture.