Post here your Elvis' pictures

A new date in order?

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 am

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... ns70s.html

Always been a bit suspicious of the date of these photos...the story of the jacket and the lady he gave it to, was included in the latest issue of Essential Elvis. the lady is said to be his "1975 girlfriend JoCathy Brownlee". Can't say I've ever heard of her, but the story of the jacket seems to be correct, and sort of confirms my suspicion that the photos are from the summer of '75, not July 24, 1974.
Anyone?

Eivind
Last edited by Eivind on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: A new date in order?

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:45 am

Not sure if Brownlee and Elvis hit the town much.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:28 pm

After some googling I found our that I actually have heard of her, but he name just didn't register. She was the Grizzlies hostess, who catered to the VIP's at the Memphis games. They did date a few times in the summer/fall of 1975, or so the story goes. Other than the Doc's rather in depth comments, would anyone else have anything to offer concerning a possible new date on these photos?

E

Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:39 am

Eivind wrote:After some googling I found our that I actually have heard of her, but he name just didn't register. She was the Grizzlies hostess, who catered to the VIP's at the Memphis games. They did date a few times in the summer/fall of 1975, or so the story goes. Other than the Doc's rather in depth comments, would anyone else have anything to offer concerning a possible new date on these photos?

E

Yes Jo Kathy and Elvis did meet in 75, but she is not in the pictures as posted on Candid Elvis...so I am confused why these pictures cannot be from July 74.

Here is a picture of her and Elvis (1975) and some more info about Kathy (from her auction):

My name is JoCathy Brownlee Elkington, and I dated Elvis during the late summer and fall of 1975. We met at a World Football League game at the Liberty Bowl Stadium in Memphis, Tennessee, on the night of August 2, 1975. I was teaching school at the time, but I also worked part-time at the MidSouth Coliseum and worked part-time as a hostess in the press box for the Memphis Southmen Grizzlies. Elvis was with Linda Thompson the night we met. Linda and I new each other because we had both attended Memphis State University at the same time.

The following week, my good friend Barbara Klein (Elvis was Best Man in her wedding to George Klein) called to tell me that Sonny West had told her that Elvis wanted to give me $100 for being so nice to him in the press box. She also told me that Sonny said Elvis wanted my phone number so that he could call and ask me out! Sure enough, Elvis called me, asked me if I would like to come to Graceland, meet Lisa and then go to the Crosstown Theatre, which he had rented, and watch movies. That was our first date, and, after we left the theatre, we went back to Graceland. Once we returned, he surprised me with a brand new Pontiac Grand Prix. He said to me, “Honey, I hope this one’s ok………it was the best I could do at 4 o’clock in the morning!”

I am not going to chronicle (at this time) ever time we were together, but we dated off and until the end of October, 1975. The only time that we were apart was right after he had to cut his Las Vegas Summer Tour short in late August and was admitted to Baptist Hospital in Memphis. Once he was released from the hospital, we were together until the end of October.

Elvis was such a generous person. If he weren’t giving me a car, jewelry, money to buy clothes etc., he would give me things that belonged to him. Elvis gave me this album the same night in October of 1975 when he gave me his wood praying hands that I recently sold on Ebay. Between Elvis’ bedroom and bathroom, there was a little closet where he kept various books, albums, items that were sent to him by fans etc. Elvis walked into the little closet one evening when we were having a discussion about religion and brought out this album along with the praying hands and several other items.

He already knew that I loved his music and had my own collection of ELVIS albums. When I saw this one, it just happened to be one that I did not have. I asked him if he ever listened to his own records, and he told me that he rarely did! Most of his music collection was kept in the basement in the yellow, white and mirrored room (can't recall it's official name) adjacent to the room with the pool table. This album is in the exact same condition as it was when he gave it to me. I kept it where I had all of my other ELVIS albums, but, personally, I have never played it. I honestly can't tell whether he had played it or not! The album cover, though, is definitely a little worn around the edges.

I have never exploited my relationship with Elvis Presley, but I have been interviewed many times for various books, publications etc. Among the interviews, please check out Careless Love by Peter Guralnick and Elvis The Final Years by Jerry Hopkins. My name at the time was Jo Cathy Brownlee.

Someone recently sent me a link to You Tube………an interview that I had agreed to do about Elvis on the 30th Anniversary of Elvis’ Death along with George Klein and Bernard Lansky. The reporter was Debby Block with VOA (Voice of America). Evidently, someone decided to put it on You Tube. If you go to You Tube and type in Elvis VOA, I am fairly certain that it is still there. You will need to click on the photo of a Pontiac Grand Prix. This is a photograph of my car that Elvis gave me on our first date!

Through the years, I have sold several of Elvis’ personal items that he gave to me……a white leather coat of his with red fur around the collar and cuffs, my copy of The Impersonal Life that he gave me, a denim and rhinestone suit (Good Karma Made Me) etc.

Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:06 am

since the link to the picture does not work, here is picure of Elvis and JoCathy again...

Aug - Fall '75

Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:26 pm

I agree with you E-cat, she's not in the photos in Paul's candid section, so in that respect it doesn't prove anything about when those photos were taken.
I've always found those photos not quite fitting with the time frame, even though his appereance changed quite rapidly at times. But in June/July 1974 he looked quite a bit leaner and healthier than how he appears in those photos...but hey, photograps can fool you, and looking at them with new info in mind, I can go along with it being '74. Seeing Schilling in the background also...looking the wayhe did that late summer/fall. Anyways, no biggie. Thanks for the pic and info. Have a great week!

Eivind

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:34 pm

This looks more like a ´72 photo to me. Is it really from ´75?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:01 am

You are welcome Eivind!

The fool wrote:This looks more like a ´72 photo to me. Is it really from ´75?
I agree, he looks younger, maybe due to his recent eye-lift surgery ? However - according to JoCathy they met Aug 2nd '75:

My name is JoCathy Brownlee Elkington, and I dated Elvis during the late summer and fall of 1975. We met at a World Football League game at the Liberty Bowl Stadium in Memphis, Tennessee, on the night of August 2, 1975

FYI: here is the link to the picture as posted by Andrew Hearn / Essential Elvis

http://essentialelvis.blogspot.com/2008 ... issue.html

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:27 am

Is she currently auctioning this jacket off? If so can anyone provide a link? Thank you

Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:27 am

Eivind wrote:Thanks for the pic and info. Have a great week!

And thank YOU for clarifying that "rather in depth comments" are what you seek in order to be gracious to those who chose to reply to your queries.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Hey Doc! It was not inteded to be a mean spirited comment. I'm sorry that it could be taken as such. But it didn't really answer my question, now did it. :)

E

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:And thank YOU for clarifying that "rather in depth comments" are what you seek.

Isn't that what you profess to offer, being the expert that you are?

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:55 am

Eivind wrote:Hey Doc! It was not inteded to be a mean spirited comment.

OK, thanks Elvind. I was in transit when I sent that atypically brief reply.

It was great of E-Cat to find a shot of them together -- 'twas new to me as well.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 am

Jocathy was in Memphis for Elvis Week and spoke to MyFoxMemphis about her short summer fling with The King. http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/story/19275 ... d-of-elvis

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 pm

They were taken in July 74. I have originals with the photographer's writing on the reverse.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:01 pm

It really does look like 72. Here is a shot taken at Graceland in December of what I always thought was 72. He looks the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:50 pm

According to Alanna Nash, the photos of Elvis and Joe Cathy together were taken at the Memphian in the summer of 1974, where they actually first met. Later she went to see him in Vegas and also dated Charlie Hodge for a while. All this prior to august 2. 1975.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 pm

egilj wrote:According to Alanna Nash, the photos of Elvis and Joe Cathy together were taken at the Memphian in the summer of 1974, where they actually first met. Later she went to see him in Vegas and also dated Charlie Hodge for a while. All this prior to august 2. 1975.

What?

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
egilj wrote:According to Alanna Nash, the photos of Elvis and Joe Cathy together were taken at the Memphian in the summer of 1974, where they actually first met. Later she went to see him in Vegas and also dated Charlie Hodge for a while. All this prior to august 2. 1975.

What?

"Baby let's play house" page 569.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 am

egilj wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What?

"Baby let's play house" page 569.

Oh, no, Charlie was married to his career.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:04 am

Is there any other picture of JoCathy and Elvis around?

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:21 am

Careless Love by Peter Guralnick... I have this book and its fantastic for research fodder...

Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:02 am

JoCathy Brownlee (1975): Soon after Sheila departed, Elvis began seeing JoCathy, a junior high teacher and hostess at Memphis’s Mid-South Coliseum. At four a.m. on their first night together, he gave her a new Grand Prix. The sun was coming up as JoCathy snaked the car down Graceland’s winding drive. She had only one thought: “How am I going to explain this to my mother?”

The pic a bit bigger:

Found on: http://elvis-memories.de/memories/?p=55952

She is on Twitter: https://twitter.com/jojoelkington

And FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/jocathybrownleeelkington/

With Jerry Schilling in September 6-12, 2014:

JoCathy Elkington ‏@JoJoElkington 18 jun. 2014
@TODAYshow Elvis gave me a car on our first date! You can google me. Maiden name Brownlee!

With Lisa Marie:

Talk about epic summer jobs: Woman's gig led to romance with Elvis
Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:59 PM | Scott Stump TODAY contributor

JoCathy Elkington was working as a hostess during a Memphis Southmen game in the now-defunct World Football League during the summer of 1975 when she was summoned to meet a special guest.
It was The King himself, Elvis Presley, and that encounter led to three of the most memorable months of Elkington's life.

During a Throwback Thursday segment on TODAY in which the anchors remembered their summer jobs, whether it was Savannah Guthrie working at Cookie Incredible or Al Roker toiling at a ShopRite Supermarket, Elkington had them all beat. Her summer job led to a romance with Elvis when she was 26 years old, just two years before he died at 42.

"When I met him, I was absolutely thrilled,'' Elkington told TODAY.com. "The whole night he called me 'JC,' and would say 'JC, get me a piece of pizza, a Big Mac or a Coke,' and he wouldn't ask the other hostess for anything."

One of Elkington's best friends was Barbara Klein, whose husband, George, was a member of Presley's inner circle, dubbed the "Memphis Mafia." The Kleins were with Presley when Elkington worked as a hostess for their suite at Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium on that fateful night in late July 1975. Elkington, who is now 64, was a junior high physical education teacher when she got the summer job working for the professional team known informally as the Memphis Grizzlies. She had grown up in the Mississippi Delta as a huge Elvis fan, and she got an even bigger surprise when he got up to leave the suite on the night they met.
"He gave me a hug, and when I asked him if the scarf around his neck was a real Elvis scarf like the ones he threw into the crowd at concerts, he put it around my neck, pulled me toward him and kissed me,'' Elkington said. "It was crazy because I was just this normal girl from Memphis."

The following Thursday, she got a phone call around 8 p.m. that began, "JC? It's EP." She went to see his home in Graceland and then he took her to a movie, renting out the entire Crosstown Theatre in Memphis. The two hit it off, which was problematic because Elkington had a serious boyfriend at the time.

"He knew I had always been a huge Elvis fan, so it was surreal,'' she said.

VIDEO: http://www.today.com/video/today/55451434

While the two were in the theater, he asked her what her favorite color was, and she told him red. The next time she visited him at Graceland, she said he brought her outside to show her a new red Pontiac Grand Prix that he bought for her.

Coincidentally, before Elkington met Elvis, she and her mother had booked a trip to Las Vegas to see him perform. Two weeks after she met him, she and her mother entered their hotel room to see it filled with flowers. He then promised to sing her the song "Young and Beautiful" during the concert.

"I loved Elvis,'' she said. "I'm not going to say I was in love with him, but we spent a lot of time alone, mainly upstairs at Graceland. I got to know Elvis the man."

What's your most memorable summer job? Share it with us on Facebook!

The two would play racquetball together as an overweight Elvis tried to shed some pounds. He loved to go to the movies, usually around midnight, and he also loved for her to read to him. By September, Elkington was back on her school schedule and it was hard to keep up with him, as he would often just be waking up when she came over to Graceland around 4 p.m. and didn't go to sleep until the early hours of the morning.

"I had sense enough not to quit my job, but it was just a grueling schedule,'' Elkington said.

In October 1975, the relationship came to an end when he told her he had other plans for the night and that maybe she should grab some of her clothes at Graceland and come back the next afternoon.

"I was worn out, and it pissed me off, so I just went around that house, getting all my clothes and my makeup, and left,'' she said.

Less than two years later, Elkington had just gotten married when she heard of Presley's death from her younger sister. She couldn't bring herself to attend his funeral.

"I was just totally in shock, and the hardest thing was the whole world was mourning for this man I knew,'' she said. "It was just surreal to watch all that on television, and it was somebody I dated, somebody I knew, somebody I had a close relationship with."

Elkington still lives in Memphis and regularly stops by Graceland, which is now a major tourist attraction. She also was included in the 1999 biography "Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley" by Peter Guralnick. She will be 65 on June 23 and coincidentally is looking for a summer job again, saying she is "between opportunities" after being laid off by the American Cancer Society. She will never forget the ride her summer job took her on in 1975.

"Being with him was a pretty amazing time,'' she said. "You read these tabloid stories or hear people saying, 'I know he's alive in the Bahamas,' or 'I saw him at a K-Mart in Kalamazoo.' I tell people, I wouldn't be in the financial shape that I'm in if Elvis were alive. He'd be helping me out, I tell you that."

Source: http://www.today.com/news/talk-about-epic-summer-jobs-womans-gig-led-romance-elvis-1D79823496

A Southern Life fragment: https://books.google.nl/books?id=dmGCBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA271&lpg=PA271&dq=Jo+Cathy+Brownlee&source=bl&ots=COsww8kZwF&sig=zCyqLfC8s0_LT9UIe3wdBEkdT4U&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikoKGyqu7LAhXHYQ4KHeocAo8Q6AEIXDAK#v=onepage&q=Jo%20Cathy%20Brownlee&f=false

Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:04 am

The Elvis shot with JC is FAKE.
Here´s the real one from 1972.

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:06 pm

the pic with Brownlee looks funny. Elvis' arm does not look natural....