Post here your Elvis' pictures

ELVIS' MUSTACHE??

Tue May 10, 2011 4:59 am

Did Elvis ever grow a mustache during the 1950's? I vagely remember seeing a photo of him sporting one in the late fifties. Can anyone confirm this?

Re: ELVIS' MUSTACHE??

Tue May 10, 2011 5:08 am

bluejeans1944 wrote:Did Elvis ever grow a mustache during the 1950's? I vagely remember seeing a photo of him sporting one in the late fifties. Can anyone confirm this?

Our hero's got a "hesher" 'stache goin' on in early 1957:

Elvis in Memphis, Saturday, March 23, 1957
Thanks to bripet56 for the AP news wire image.

Tue May 10, 2011 5:12 am

bluejeans1944 wrote:Did Elvis ever grow a mustache during the 1950's? I vagely remember seeing a photo of him sporting one in the late fifties. Can anyone confirm this?

yes, see also: http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-pistol.html

Tue May 10, 2011 6:00 am

Thanks you guys! That's not the picture that I remember but at least it proves that I wasn't just imagining it. :lol:

Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 am

Not his best look.

Tue May 10, 2011 9:56 am

He looked way better in Charro! Also, did the Col. have anything to do with Elvis having every one of his charges thrown out in court?

Tue May 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:He looked way better in Charro! Also, did the Col. have anything to do with Elvis having every one of his charges thrown out in court?

Elvis wore a beard in "Charro!" not a mustache.

What charges?

Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:He looked way better in Charro! Also, did the Col. have anything to do with Elvis having every one of his charges thrown out in court?

Elvis wore a beard in "Charro!" not a mustache.

What charges?
I know he had a beard, but I was comparing his mustache to the beard and which suited him better. I should've been more specific.

In the link that was provided, http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-pistol.html it said that Elvis was in trouble with the law three different times, but the judge threw them out and the third time the Marine didn't want to press charges. The first two times he was in trouble and Elvis was found "innocent", did the Col. have anything to do with the judge throwing the charges out? In Elvis' telegram apology. He said that he usually talked his way out of problems, so if the Col. didn't have anything to do with the charges being thrown out the first two times, did Elvis just talk his way out of them?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:04 am

I don't know why my thread on this topic was deleted but I am genuinely curious if Elvis' 57 attempt at a mustache was done as a joke on his part or done in tribute to Vernon, or if he shaved it because he felt it didn't suit his face--Did he ever mention it or was he asked about it at the time? I know whenever an artist changed their hair style or grew facial hair or got rid of it in the 30s-70s or so, it was big news (like when Mick Jagger grew a beard in 1979 he was asked all about it). Similar to today in some ways, like when Brad Pitt grew his mustache he was asked about why he did it.

Also were there any other attempts by Elvis at a mustache that are known of?

And are there any other points in his life where he grew a beard--perhaps in private--besides Charro?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 am

Errol Flynn wrote:I don't know why my thread on this topic was deleted but I am genuinely curious if Elvis' 57 attempt at a mustache was done as a joke on his part or done in tribute to Vernon, or if he shaved it because he felt it didn't suit his face--Did he ever mention it or was he asked about it at the time? I know whenever an artist changed their hair style or grew facial hair or got rid of it in the 30s-70s or so, it was big news (like when Mick Jagger grew a beard in 1979 he was asked all about it). Similar to today in some ways, like when Brad Pitt grew his mustache he was asked about why he did it.

And are there any other points in his life where he grew a beard--perhaps in private--besides Charro?

I don't think so. If you read Gillian Gaar's 2010 "Return of The King," she interviewed a number of very regular fans, who saw his actual attempt at the Charro beard, and apparently it was filled in for the cameras. That is according to someone, a very well-known fan photog, who told Gaar she has pictures of the "patchy" beard.

So, no, I don't think so. Later on, he had the mutton chops, and seemed to be hairier. Was he sensitive about it? Probably so, judging by a little incident in '69, where someone made a little remark about his chest hair, and he overheard it and said "yes, I do!"

rjm

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 am

rjm wrote:
Errol Flynn wrote:I don't know why my thread on this topic was deleted but I am genuinely curious if Elvis' 57 attempt at a mustache was done as a joke on his part or done in tribute to Vernon, or if he shaved it because he felt it didn't suit his face--Did he ever mention it or was he asked about it at the time? I know whenever an artist changed their hair style or grew facial hair or got rid of it in the 30s-70s or so, it was big news (like when Mick Jagger grew a beard in 1979 he was asked all about it). Similar to today in some ways, like when Brad Pitt grew his mustache he was asked about why he did it.

I don't think so. If you read Gillian Gaar's 2010 "Return of The King," she interviewed a number of very regular fans, who saw his actual attempt at the Charro beard, and apparently it was filled in for the cameras. That is according to someone, a very well-known fan photog, who told Gaar she has pictures of the "patchy" beard.

So, no, I don't think so. Later on, he had the mutton chops, and seemed to be hairier. Was he sensitive about it? Probably so, judging by a little incident in '69, where someone made a little remark about his chest hair, and he overheard it and said "yes, I do!"

rjm

Nice decoration,going to see if i can get one for my tree in time fo rxmas

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:02 pm

bluejeans1944 wrote:Thanks you guys! That's not the picture that I remember but at least it proves that I wasn't just imagining it. :lol:

That picture only shows smeared lip stick from kissing a multitude of girls on that day...nothing more.

...or maybe he just had a good ol glass of chocolate milk!

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:55 am

Errol Flynn wrote:Also were there any other attempts by Elvis at a mustache that are known of?

What is with your obsession with Elvis Presley and facial hair?

Are you a troll? Hope not, as your stay will be a short one if so.

::rocks

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:36 am

I find all this facial hair talk fascinating. I don't like this moustache on him though, it looks so weird! but I love the beard!! :smt007
look in this thread where there is a (amazing!) picture of him with stubble (WOW!) viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73596

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:53 am

"Elvis loved facial hair."