Post here your Elvis' pictures

George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:25 am

George Klein delivers a copy of Elvis' second album to his home on Audubon Drive. This photo is from "Elvis: My Best Man."

pic from http://www.gomemphis.com/photos/2010/jan/07/148009/
Image
Last edited by EPA4368 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '56 pic

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:18 am

It's not from 1956.

According to his recent autobiography, Elvis: My Best Man: Radio Days, Rock 'n' Roll Nights, and My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley, (New York: Random House, Inc., 2010), George made his first visit to 1034 Audubon in March 1957.

His book with co-author Chuck Crisafulli tells the story of how he had just been fired from his afternoon DJ shift, "George Klein's Rock 'n' Roll Ballroom" for WMC Radio in Memphis; they told him rock 'n' roll was a fad soon to die out. Klein next ran into Elvis while hanging out at Dewey Phillips' WHBQ Radio show, broadcast from the Chisca Hotel.

Elvis "had just gotten back to town from making Loving You." Presley hired him on the spot as a "traveling companion," speaking of a "big tour" coming the very "next week," and going to Hollywood after that. Then, after cruising the city in Elvis' white Mark II Continental and grabbing some sodas at the Variety Club, Presley invited Klein back to his house to hang out some more. There is no indication Klein had ever visited the home before, and he goes into great detail about the Audubon house, and a visit a few days later to Graceland, the property recently purchased by Elvis.

---

George was definitely hanging with Elvis at this time. He is photographed accompanying him on his tour which began on March 30, and would be seen around -- and in -- MGM's "Jailhouse Rock" project beginning at the end of April. Not long ago, bripet56 posted this Memphis newspaper story from late March 1957:

All Elvis would say was that it was the start of a mustache. With his friend George Klein Elvis tooled his 1956 Continental Mark II into the parking lot across from the Hotel Chisca at 10:30 on Friday night March 22. A typical Elvis jam session resulted with so many teenagers about that the car couldn't be moved for awhile.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20559&p=234783&#p234783


The photos might have been taken to keep George's name alive in the public mind. His radio audience might have wanted to know what he was doing since he'd lost his slot on the air. And one reason George and Elvis might have been posing with LPM 1382 was the fact that it was still a chart-topper five months after release, holding down #2 as recently at March 16, 1957, and Klein had probably plugged it quite a bit in Memphis:

Image

Billboard - March 16, 1957

As for Klein's 2010 photo credit, what now seems most likely is George created a story to match the photo printed in his book.

Here are two more from this March 1957 photo session with Elvis:


Image


Image

Re: George Klein with Elvis '56 pic

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:As for Klein's 2010 photo credit, what now seems most likely is George created a story to match the photo printed in his book.

That is so unlike George.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '56 pic

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 am

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As for Klein's 2010 photo credit, what now seems most likely is George created a story to match the photo printed in his book.

That is so unlike George.

I know.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '56 pic

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:37 am

That first picture is so amazing. Somewhat to his eyes, they have the 70's look to 'em. And thank you for the other photo's aswell DJC!

Re: George Klein with Elvis '56 pic

Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:42 am

Nice pictures.

Thanks for posting them.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '56 pic

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It's not from 1956. According to his recent autobiography, Elvis: My Best Man: Radio Days, Rock 'n' Roll Nights, and My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley, (New York: Random House, Inc., 2010), George made his first visit to 1034 Audubon in March 1957.

I revised my subject title. Thanks for your help Doc!

I enjoyed your post when George visited Elvis. The additional pics and the Billboard chart are great! Also I enjoyed reading bripet56's post, "Elvis attempted to grow a mustache."

Again, thanks!

Re: George Klein with Elvis '56 pic

Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:02 pm

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:That first picture is so amazing. Somewhat to his eyes, they have the 70's look to 'em. And thank you for the other photo's aswell DJC!




Yeah, I was reminded of the picture when he got the awards for "The wonder of you" and the MSG-album.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:13 am

Elvis looks cool in this picture. Who's the guy with him?

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:26 am

Mitch wrote:Elvis looks cool in this picture. Who's the guy with him?

It's Elvis with George L. Parkhill, a longtime Parker assistant.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:27 am

Klein certainly got hit with the Ugly Stick that's for sure.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:32 am

Jim Dandy wrote:Klein certainly got hit with the Ugly Stick that's for sure.

I'll bet you're a hottie, though.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mitch wrote:Elvis looks cool in this picture. Who's the guy with him?

It's Elvis with George L. Parkhill, a longtime Parker assistant.


Thanks Doc. :)

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Klein certainly got hit with the Ugly Stick that's for sure.

I'll bet you're a hottie, though.


:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Klein certainly got hit with the Ugly Stick that's for sure.

I'll bet you're a hottie, though.

I didn't realise that you were that way inKleined.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 am

Jim Dandy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Klein certainly got hit with the Ugly Stick that's for sure.

I'll bet you're a hottie, though.

I didn't realise that you were that way inKleined.

I'm not. But comments like the one you made earlier make no sense to me.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:Klein certainly got hit with the Ugly Stick that's for sure.

I'll bet you're a hottie, though.

I didn't realise that you were that way inKleined.

I'm not. But comments like the one you made earlier make no sense to me.


When he says 'got hit by the ugly stick' I think he means George isn't very good looking.................

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 am

A day late and a dollar short, old chap.

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:25 am

Very cool pictures! I just got back from Memphis tonight and I got to have a wonderful talk with George! Very nice guy if you guys ever get a chance to meet him!!

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:49 pm

BrandtMichaels wrote:Very cool pictures! I just got back from Memphis tonight and I got to have a wonderful talk with George! Very nice guy if you guys ever get a chance to meet him!!


Do tell! Got pics?

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Image

Thats George and I as of Tuesday if I remember correctly lol. My girlfriend and I got to sit and have a long chat with him about Elvis and George's career in radio etc. He's a super nice guy! You can tell he really loved Elvis. He had nothing but nice words to say about him!! He signed an autograph for me to put in my copy of his book.

Its really cool because I always feel like Im bothering people like that by asking about Elvis. It must be weird talking about someone you were friends with that passed away years ago, ya know?

Anyways, Ill be posting the pictures from my trip very shortly!

-Brandt

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:10 pm

BrandtMichaels wrote:Image

Thats George and I as of Tuesday if I remember correctly lol. My girlfriend and I got to sit and have a long chat with him about Elvis and George's career in radio etc. He's a super nice guy! You can tell he really loved Elvis. He had nothing but nice words to say about him!! He signed an autograph for me to put in my copy of his book.

Its really cool because I always feel like Im bothering people like that by asking about Elvis. It must be weird talking about someone you were friends with that passed away years ago, ya know?

Anyways, Ill be posting the pictures from my trip very shortly!

-Brandt


8) Thats really awesome!! I look forward to hearing what he had to say about Elvis and further pics!! By the way did you ask George if he saw Elvis in July and August of 1977? It would be fascinating to hear more about these months and to see more pictures also! 8)

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:08 pm

That's fantastic! Thanks for the upload. Your jacket has a "Speedway" look about it...

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Video to go with the picture when he got the awards for "The wonder of you" and the MSG-album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqaOVATvyp4

Re: George Klein with Elvis '57 pic

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:32 pm

My favorite GK picture is the shot taken at the party held at Graceland after Sonny West's wedding. Elvis is standing in the living room, holding a rifle. George is seated behind him, appearing to have his head up Elvis' ass.
8429745632_ff17bae731_b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by elvisjock on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.