Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis Presley Signed Envelope, may 1955

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:47 am

Not exactly an photo, but a very nice item wich I wanted to share with you......

Elvis Presley Signed Envelope, 1955. Back signed in purple ballpoint ink "love ya / Elvis Presley," front postmarked "Mar 20 1955 / Greenville Tex.," addressed to "Carol Eldred," original letter to 'Carol' still enclosed which is from Bobby Belew of the teenage singing act, The Belew Twins -- two young brothers who were performing around the South in the early 1950s and who crossed Elvis' path a few times at various gigs; the current consignor [Carol herself] obtained this autograph in person in May of 1955 when she went to see her friends The Belew Twins perform at "The Big D Jamboree" at Ed McLemore's Sportatorium in Dallas, Texas where Presley was also on the bill that night. Carol remembers not caring much for Elvis, but when she saw him backstage while she was waiting for Bobby Belew, Elvis asked her if she wanted his autograph! She didn't, but she also didn't want to be rude so she fished this letter out of her purse and the future King signed the back of it for her. Carol's more detailed recollection of that night can be read in our website. (Please note the envelope is yellowed due to age the the left side is ripped open.) 3 3/4" x 5 1/2"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Presley-S ... 3f49d8012b

enjoy Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis Presley Signed Envelope, may 1955

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:48 am

Here is front...

::rocks

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:31 am

Cute story ed40..Well the "Love ya" sure makes this truly rare! I wonder if she later became a fan?

Cheers. HAPPIES. ::rocks

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Cool find! Thanks for sharing.

I wondered on what site more information could be found: "Carol's more detailed recollection of that night can be read in our website."

So I googled and found this:

More Information:
When I was a young girl, I had some friends who sang every Saturday night on a show called "The Big D Jamboree" at Ed McLemore's Sportatorium in Dallas, Texas. These boys, billed as "The Belew Twins," were very good entertainers, very much like "The Everly Brothers," only I didn't yet know who those guys were - they would come the following year.

One particular Saturday in May of 1955, I was dismayed to find this guy from Tupelo, Mississippi guesting, yet again, at The Big D Jamboree. I had not yet seen a program, but I pretty much knew what it was going to look like and how things would turn out. Each act would be assigned a specified amount of stage time, some 15 minutes, some 30 or 45 minutes, some acts might have a guest or two, usually more than once during the course of the evening.

I finally got my hands on a program. Yeah -- Bobby and Benny [The Belew Twins] had their own time slot! And boo (in my little pre-teen mind) -- that guy from Mississippi (what was his name again - Elvis??) had a 45 minute block right in front of them. And the thing about it was, those performances were never the specified amount of time; we could always count on it being at least a half hour more, at least!

I grudgingly admitted to myself that night that Elvis always did put on a good show. All the teenage girls wearing their felt skirts with dozens of crinolines under them and penny loafers or saddle oxfords on their feet just screamed their little hearts out for him.

He had not yet recorded "Heartbreak Hotel" but that does not mean he was not performing it. These times at the Big D were also the first time I heard "Love Me Tender" and "Mystery Train"(my favorite Elvis song). You will never know how many times I've been told Elvis didn't do that song.

By the time Bobby and Benny got off stage, Bobby's mom had decided she wanted to take some pictures. It turned out she didn't have any flashbulbs and wanted us to go across the street to the drugstore to buy some. As I was waiting for the twins to run this errand with me, I saw Elvis was standing in the dressing room discussing farm equipment with the twins' dad who worked for Allis Chalmers. I want say, as I stood there looking at this tall, incredibly good-looking boy that all the girls were going gaga over, I was so impressed, in spite of myself, at how respectful and downright humble he really was. It was always " Yes, sir, yes Ma'am" and did I mention how handsome he was?

As I was standing there waiting, Elvis kept looking over at me and finally asked, "Do you want an autograph, darlin'?" I hadn't really thought of it and didn't really want one, but I didn't want to be rude so said, "OK" but nobody had any paper! I finally found a letter that Bobby had mailed to me at the bottom of my purse (it was how we communicated during the week because we weren't allowed to call long distance) and Elvis signed the back envelope that the letter was still in. I put it back in my purse, eventually put it in a drawer at home, and then never thought about it again for over 50 years.

Source: http://entertainment.ha.com/itm/music-memorabilia/autographs-and-signed-items/elvis-presley-signed-envelope-1955/a/7134-89450.s

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:31 am

HAPPIES wrote:Cute story ed40..Well the "Love ya" sure makes this truly rare! I wonder if she later became a fan?

Cheers. HAPPIES. ::rocks

The "Love Ya" inscription is very common for '55. It a very neat piece non the less .

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks for all the additions guys, cool !!

::rocks

Ed