Post here your Elvis' pictures

George Young and Elvis at the piano - Germany

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:14 am

New for me,and couldn't see it on the forum.

The caption reads : George Young was born in Detroit in 1936. While attending Cass Tech High School in the early 1950's, Young began to sing and play guitar professionally. At 18 he appeared with Bobby Darin. During his Army years, Young was stationed in Freiburg, Germany, where he became friends and jammed with another soldier/musician, this photo of Young and elvis Presley was taken in Bad Nauheim, Germany, in the late 1950's. (George Young)
Motor City Rock and Roll:: The 1960s and 1970s By Bob Harris, John Douglas Peters

Davide

Re: George Young and Elvis at the piano - Germany

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:34 am

Cool, never seen this shot before. Thanks davide.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:01 am

AWSOME!! NEW TO ME! THANKS!! :smt006

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:33 am

New for me too. Great picture!!!

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:30 am

Great photo!

It looks to be towards the end of 1959 -- maybe even early 1960? Paging E-Cat!

Most aren't familiar with George Young. He was a Detroit-based entertainer and bandleader. He worked with legendary TV personality Soupy Sales, and also hosted TV music shows on CKLW-TV (Windsor, ON) and WKBD-TV (Detroit).

He made records too.

phpBB [video]

George Young And His Guitar And Band, "Shaking Shelly" (Fortune 524, 1957)
The single was popular in Detroit; the A-side was "Buggin' Baby."

He had more local hits in the 60s too:

George Young and the Youngsters, "Bony Moronie" (Pacesetter 4001, 1964)
The B-side was "Guilty"

phpBB [video]

George Young and the Youngsters, "Mechanic from Hamtramck" (Pacesetter 4002, 1967)
[size=85]The B-side was a cover of "Johnny B. Goode"

Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Nice find Davide,new to me as well!
and a thank you to da Doc for the info on George Young!
....another same day photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Cool Davide thanks :smt006

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Great photo!

Correct John, the cropped photo was taken on his 25th birday (8th Jan 1960).
Many other guests were invited:

Here is another one:

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Great photos and info guys!

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks for the date E-Cat

From Elvis Day By Day : Elvis celebrated at a local recreation center with about 200 guests, including Priscilla. Joe Esposito and the group gave Elvis a trophy with the inscription: " Elvis Presley. Most Valuable Player. Bad Nauheim Sunday Afternoon Football Association, 1959."

Davide

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:22 am

davide wrote:Thanks for the date E-Cat

Perhaps of interest: less than a week later Elvis was in Paris for the third and last time...
Third time ? Yes - Barbara interviewed Pat Conway - Elvis' Army buddy - who said that he joined Elvis during the second trip.
After some disbelief both EPE and I recently found documents confirming that Elvis was in Paris not 2 but...3 times !!
Elvis returned to Paris shortly after his first visit.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:14 am

Most aren't familiar with George Young. He was a Detroit-based entertainer and bandleader. He worked with legendary TV personality Soupy Sales, and also hosted TV music shows on CKLW-TV (Windsor, ON) and WKBD-TV (Detroit).

He made records too.

phpBB [video]

The B-side was "Guilty"

George Young and the Youngsters, "Mechanic from Hamtramck" (Pacesetter 4002, 1967)
The B-side was a cover of "Johnny B. Goode"
It's the first instrumental heard via this link:
http://archive.wfmu.org/ramgen/archive/SV/sv010608.rm

Thanks for the info Doc! One of the tv shows he hosted was based in my home town of Windsor, Ontario!

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks Davide and others, for this great pic and info!

::rocks

Ed

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Joe Car wrote:

He made records too.

phpBB [video]

The B-side was "Guilty"

The B-side was a cover of "Johnny B. Goode"
It's the first instrumental heard via this link:
http://archive.wfmu.org/ramgen/archive/SV/sv010608.rm

Thanks for the info Doc! One of the tv shows he hosted was based in my home town of Windsor, Ontario!

Now that is cool. You're welcome!

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:25 pm

E-Cat wrote:

/Perhaps of interest: less than a week later Elvis was in Paris for the third and last time...
Third time ? Yes - Barbara interviewed Pat Conway - Elvis' Army buddy - who said that he joined Elvis during the second trip.
After some disbelief both EPE and I recently found documents confirming that Elvis was in Paris not 2 but...3 times !!
Elvis returned to Paris shortly after his first visit./

E-Cat, please show us some of these documents. Thank.

Mississippi

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:26 pm

E-Cat wrote:Correct John, the cropped photo was taken on his 25th birday (8th Jan 1960).

I knew I was close.

E-Cat wrote:After some disbelief both EPE and I recently found documents confirming that Elvis was in Paris not 2 but...3 times !!
Elvis returned to Paris shortly after his first visit.

It appears a previously-unknown second 1959 Paris visit was actually five months later, in November 1959.

According to official documentation:

U.S. Army "Request and Authority for Absence" form, signed "Elvis A. Presley"
Granting permission to visit Paris from "1530hrs 13 Nov 59" to "2400hrs 15 Nov 59."

This changes the history to -->

Elvis á Paris:
June 13 – 27, 1959
November 13 – 15, 1959
January 12 – 17, 1960

Now, if this was not a request to visit Paris, where did he go?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:33 pm

Fantastic photo Davide ! And thanks for yours too E-Cat !

By the way, I wanted to add some information about the second trip to Paris.
I think you're right E-Cat, that second trip is surely a reality, but probably not in november as suggested by the Doc.

Here is what Jean-Marie Pouzenc, president of the french Elvis My Happiness, who lived then and still lives, in Paris, writes in his very interesting and filled with photos book ELVIS A PARIS:
"...(after his first june trip) Elvis found it hard to leave Paris...he decided to rent a limousine and return to Germany by the scenic route.
Yet Paris was still on his mind. Did he leave something (or someone) behind ? We'll never know, but, in any case, the following week-end he asked Lamar Fike, Rex Mansfield and Charlie Hodge to join him for another round of mischief. Unfortunately the group of friends, who had been taken to the train station by Vernon, Elvis' father, got there late, the train had already left. Yet nothing could stop Elvis: he was really missing Paris.He asked for someone to call a taxi and he asked the driver to catch up with the train, or, if it was impossible, to drive straight through to Paris....
The group stayed for the weekend at the Prince de Galles Hotel and went on with its tour of the city's cabarets."

Of interest is also the copy, in this other terrific book, Elvis Files 1957-1959 by Erik Lorentzen (page 511), of an article published by the New Musical Express September 11, 1959, titled "A fan's eye view of Elvis Presley at a famous parisian night club".
While it it reports (but not dated) of Elvis visiting the famous Lido, I doubt it tells of Elvis' first visit in june 1959 since this article is published a few months later.
My guess is then that it possibly tells of the second trip...

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 pm

Mississippi wrote:E-Cat, please show us some of these documents. Thank.

below a document with copy of auction description and confirmation from EPE Archives
that Elvis was in Paris from 3-5 July, 1959:

More info from EPE Archives:

There is also a room service bill signed by Charlie for breakfast on July 4 and 2 checks signed by Elvis to the hotel
in Paris dated July 3 and July 5, 1959.

drjohncarpenter wrote: This changes the history to -->

Elvis á Paris:
June 13 – 27, 1959
November 13 – 15, 1959
January 12 – 17, 1960

Elvis went to Paris on the following occasions:
June 13-27 1959
July 03-05 1959
Jan 12-18 1960

I don't think he left Jan 17th as the hotel invoice is dated Jan 18.
I still need to pass this to EPE.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Now, if this was not a request to visit Paris, where did he go?

If you look at the Request and Authority for Absence (Nov 59) you can see that he was only
permitted to visit Germany and the adress while absent is NACOM, which is the Northern Area Command
(NACOM), headquartered at Frankfurt. So he was likely at home, spending time with Priscilla after
he was just released from the hospital earlier that month.

FRENCHGUY wrote:Here is what Jean-Marie Pouzenc, president of the french Elvis My Happiness, who lived then and still lives, in Paris, writes in his very interesting and filled with photos book ELVIS A PARIS:
"...(after his first june trip) Elvis found it hard to leave Paris...he decided to rent a limousine and return to Germany by the scenic route.
Yet Paris was still on his mind. Did he leave something (or someone) behind ? We'll never know, but, in any case, the following week-end he asked Lamar Fike, Rex Mansfield and Charlie Hodge to join him for another round of mischief. Unfortunately the group of friends, who had been taken to the train station by Vernon, Elvis' father, got there late, the train had already left.

There are many versions of the story, but Vernon was not even in Germany in July (iirc: Vernon left to the US in June and returned early Aug)
Last edited by E-Cat on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 pm

E-Cat, these are great informations and documents concerning Elvis' second trip to Paris.
Thank you so much for sharing them and shedding new and reliable light on this subject !

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 pm

FRENCHGUY wrote:Of interest is also the copy, in this other terrific book, Elvis Files 1957-1959 by Erik Lorentzen (page 511), of an article published by the New Musical Express September 11, 1959, titled "A fan's eye view of Elvis Presley at a famous parisian night club".
While it it reports (but not dated) of Elvis visiting the famous Lido, I doubt it tells of Elvis' first visit in june 1959 since this article is published a few months later.
My guess is then that it possibly tells of the second trip...

Anne E. Nixon wrote about this in the Elvis Christmas Extra 1992 magazine published by The Official Elvis Presley Fan Club of Great Britain. Her story was titled Elvis in Europe. Here is the part of that article that describes this July 5th meeting with Elvis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks a lot The fool for your very interesting information. It completes wonderfully the secong trip to Paris subject.
You all, and it happens often on this board, made my day better !

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 am

E-Cat wrote:Elvis went to Paris on the following occasions:
June 13-27 1959
July 03-05 1959
Jan 12-18 1960

I don't think he left Jan 17th as the hotel invoice is dated Jan 18.
I still need to pass this to EPE.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Now, if this was not a request to visit Paris, where did he go?

If you look at the Request and Authority for Absence (Nov 59) you can see that he was only permitted to visit Germany and the adress while absent is NACOM, which is the Northern Area Command (NACOM), headquartered at Frankfurt. So he was likely at home, spending time with Priscilla after he was just released from the hospital earlier that month.

But why request a pass to spend the weekend at home, when he normally spent weekends at home already?

Interestingly, neither the July nor November 1959 dates in question are noted in any fashion in Guralnick and Jorgensen's Elvis Day By Day.

Are there any known photos from July in Paris?

So our revised dates are:

Elvis á Paris:
June 13 – 27, 1959
July 03 – 05, 1959
January 12 – 18, 1960

Unclear:
November 13 – 15, 1959

Could the July visit be the one where Elvis disappeared with Lido showgirls for an entire evening? He returned alone the next day with tinsel in his hair and simply stating to Lamar something like "... I went there."

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Interestingly, neither the July nor November 1959 dates in question are noted in any fashion in Guralnick and Jorgensen's Elvis Day By Day.

I doubt all info was documented and available through EPE Archives back then....

drjohncarpenter wrote: Are there any known photos from July in Paris?

No, we only know that a girl told Elvis that she never expected to ever meet him in the U,S. and now she was meeting him in Paris (Lido) of all places. She took a picture.
In addition, as none of the guys took pictures and Elvis stayed in the hotel all day during this stay in Paris, I doubt many photos exist.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Could the July visit be the one where Elvis disappeared with Lido showgirls for an entire evening? He returned alone the next day with tinsel in his hair and simply stating to Lamar something like "... I went there."

I doubt this: According to Pat (who replaced Rex Mansfield on this trip) they all went to the Carousel, Lido and then to Le Ban Tue. No mention or recollection of Elvis leaving the group early.

FRENCHGUY wrote:E-Cat, these are great informations and documents concerning Elvis' second trip to Paris.
Thank you so much for sharing them and shedding new and reliable light on this subject !

avec plaisir...

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:17 am

E-Cat wrote:below a document with copy of auction description and confirmation from EPE Archives that Elvis was in Paris from 3-5 July, 1959 ...

Do you have a copy of the actual item for posting, as I did with the Nov 1959 leave request?

EPE is not error-free, as we all know. Maybe they got the date wrong, or the details of the item wrong.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:EPE is not error-free, as we all know. Maybe they got the date wrong, or the details of the item wrong.

not likely that EPE got the wrong date as it is perfectly in sync with all other info we found:

- It was Pat Conway who was 100 % sure that the second trip to Paris was very shortly after Elvis returned from his first trip to Paris.
- After studying all photos / notes / invoices etc, I have from Elvis in Bad Nauheim I came to the conclusion that if the second trip did take place, it could only have taken place very early in July because I have photos of Elvis in Germany for all other weekends in July / August.
- We then received final confirmation from EPE who found documentation that Elvis was in Paris from 3-5 July
- EPE also confirmed that there is a room service bill signed by Charlie for breakfast on July 4 and 2 checks signed by Elvis to the hotel
in Paris dated July 3 and July 5, 1959
- I later found the Request for Absence that was auctioned which clearly decribes that the auction is for a weekend pass from 3-5 July
- And there is the 5th July date confirmation in the article as posted by The Fool

So even if EPE got their date wrong (I hate to depend on single sources) there is multiple other proof that Elvis was in Paris that first weekend of July.

But I will get back on the November weekend pass subject to see wherefor it was needed.