Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Tuxedo color photo, July 1st 1956

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Here is a little bigger version of the photo Claude posted earlier. This is from an old Canadian magazine Collection Internationale, numéro 1.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:34 am

Another color photo was on the back cover of a Japanese laser disc Elvis ´56 (1987).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 am

The fool wrote:Another color photo was on the back cover of a Japanese laser disc Elvis ´56 (1987).

Neat spot. I'm pretty sure all three shots are by Al Wertheimer, and all three are reverse-images.

Here's a flip and enlargement:
02_b.jpg

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:30 pm

i thought al wertheimer only shot in black and white....

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:49 pm

matilda wrote:i thought al wertheimer only shot in black and white....

No, primarily b&w but he shot more than a few rolls in color also.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:18 pm

oh...thats new to me cause in his book he said he shot only in black and white cause for economical reasons

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:56 pm

matilda wrote:oh...thats new to me cause in his book he said he shot only in black and white cause for economical reasons

I'm not sure what he wrote in his book but I talk with him periodically. I had asked him about it before when I did the page on the Richmond Theaters. He said,
All of the Elvis photographs were made with two black Nikon S-2, split range finder cameras - one of which had a 35mm f2.0 Nikor lens and the other had a 105mm f2.8 lens. All the lenses were black. My theory was after seeing a photograph of David Douglas Duncan in Life Magazine, a very well known war photographer who did work in Korea, with black Nikons, I said to myself if I get those same type of cameras not only will I become invisible, I may become as good as Duncan.
As far as the film is concerned most of the shooting, probably 70%, was done with Kodak Tri-X. Another 15% was done with Ilford high speed probably the equivalent of Tri-X and there were also some images in color with Anscochrome and Kodachrome.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 am

ok..thanks..this explains why so many pictures from the steve allen show rehearsal are in colour-and it couldn`t be that all of them were colorized...

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 pm

The fool wrote:Another color photo was on the back cover of a Japanese laser disc Elvis ´56 (1987).

The same photo, just a little bigger, from a magazine clipping.