Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Lakeland, Fl. August 6, 1956

Post by hilton22000 »

Thank you very much for the article, great addition to my archive :smt006
=============
Elvis wore this shirt in Biloxi, too, in July. Below is a photo © June Juanico from the book “In The Twilight of Memory” (2007)
=============
Brian, how do you narrow the Lansky date to 14, 15 or 18? I put in my files "June 18-21, 1956", just becouse in any of the photos taken that day it doesn't appear June Juanico, and i'm thinking she has left Memphis. By the way, what is the day June left?
=============
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years 1 month

Post by pjdlibra »

great photos and clippings. Thanks for these. Keep them coming. ::rocks

hilton22000
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by hilton22000 »

pjdlibra wrote:great photos and clippings. Thanks for these. Keep them coming. ::rocks
Very welcome...we'll do our best :wink:

I finally found a big version of the first photo, a little cropped, but...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

E-Cat
Registered for: 21 years

Post by E-Cat »

hilton22000 wrote:Thank you very much for the article, great addition to my archive :smt006
=============
Elvis wore this shirt in Biloxi, too, in July. Below is a photo © June Juanico from the book “In The Twilight of Memory” (2007)
You are welcome Hilton.

Just a note about the photo of Elvis and C. Spearman you posted. The photo caption is not correct.
Spearman was not the director of the Gulf Club. The Gulf Hills Dude Ranch was actually managed by Mr and Miss Waters.
Their son, Richard was the skiing instructor at the club and can be seen in many pictures with Elvis.
Source: R. Waters / 2009.

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

Topic author
bripet56
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by bripet56 »

hilton22000 wrote:Thank you very much for the article, great addition to my archive :smt006
=============
=============
Brian, how do you narrow the Lansky date to 14, 15 or 18? I put in my files "June 18-21, 1956", just becouse in any of the photos taken that day it doesn't appear June Juanico, and i'm thinking she has left Memphis. By the way, what is the day June left?
=============
Well hilton, this was only in the event that Elvis bought the dotted shirt at Lansky's which he might have and might not. I was merely pointing out the earliest dates he wore the shirt in order to get an idea as to when he bought it.

Let's take a look at June Juanico's vacation in June '56.
In her book she mention that she arrived in Memphis after dark on what we suppose is June 10.
June 11, met Elvis coming back from funeral, went to watch movie at night.
June 12, bought motorcycle hat, met Dewey Phillips and Elvis' parents
June 13, spent day at Audubon Drive
June 14, went to Houston
June 15, drove back to Memphis
June 16, Elvis supposed to go to Los Angeles. June NOT with Elvis on this day.
June 17, left for Biloxi in the morning.

I'm not 100% sure of the above schedule as I just skimmed through the book. We know that her dating is not sompletely correct but Elvis going to Hollywood could be his TV-appearance on the Dance Party.

If driving home from Houston was her last day with Elvis then this was actually June 13 and not June 15 as she remembers it to be.

One wonders if such a young girl didn't keep a diary back then writing all about her days and nights with Elvis. And if she actually did, why is she so wrong about her dates.

Here's a couple more photos supposed to be from her June 56 visit.
5606xx-Audubon-01-bripet56.jpg
5606xx-Audubon-02-bripet56.jpg
Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

When I was a child I was a dreamer,
I read comic books and I was the hero of the comic book
And I saw movies and I was the hero in the movie
So every dream I´ve ever dreamed has come true a hundred times.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Brian -

That's definitely not June Juanico in the first color candid.

According to Alanna Nash, the girl is 14 year-old Jackie Rowland, who had met Elvis in Jacksonville earlier, lost weight and come to Memphis on July 3, 1956 to honor a promise to visit. During a return visit the following afternoon, July 4, one color photo was taken by Jackie, the other by her mom, Marguerite.
They arrived at the Audubon Drive house on July 3 while Elvis was still in New York. Vernon saw them standing on the sidewalk, watching all the fans milling about, and came out and struck up a conversation. Marguerite explained how they happened to be there, and that Jackie had worked so hard to lose her weight, and just wanted to see Elvis so much. Vernon listened sympathetically.

"He said if Mrs. Presley would let us in, he would come to the side door, and that's what happened," Jackie vividly recalls.

Gladys, whose own weight continued to balloon, liked the personable mother-daughter, even inviting them to spend the night. They politely declined -- they had a motel already -- but said they would like to come back the next day, when Elvis was home. So on the Fourth of July, in the afternoon, before the Russwood show, the Rowlands returned to the house to visit.

The five of them -- Elvis, his parents, and the Rowlands -- sat in the living room, Gladys already in her dress for the concert. While Elvis sat between his parents on the couch, intently reading a story about himself in the newspaper, Jackie snapped his picture. Then Vernon scooted over, seeming even more the outsider, and Jackie sat down beside her idol, who draped his arm around her and held her close, his mouth so near her ear.

Jackie's mother captured the moment in a snapshot. But Elvis does not appear to be a pop star greeting a fan he had met only briefly once before. Instead, both Jackie and Elvis look as natural and relaxed as if they were longtime sweethearts. Though Jackie was an only child "and I had never had a boyfriend and the only males that came near me were my family," neither she nor Elvis seem self-conscious at being so physically affectionate in the presence of their parents. Elvis had a way of putting people at ease, but this was extraordinary.

Yet Jackie says it was not precisely as it seemed.

"I think one of the reasons Elvis and his mother liked me was due to my reaction to his first attempt to kiss me. I was totally innocent and naive. I told him to stop it and pushed him away. You can see by my expression in the photo."

Though Elvis was told no, it didn't faze or deter him. "He didn't care, he just put his arm around me again and started nibbling my ears." In a lighthearted tone, "He told my mother she needed to take me to a doctor because I wasn't normal. I'm sure he had never met a girl who wasn't all over him."

Elvis demanded complete control in his relationships, but perhaps another reason he persisted was because Jackie looked a bit like him. Their hair color was the same, they had those light eyes, and they were the only surviving children of their parents, their mothers both having lost a baby at birth. For a brief moment, it might have seemed like Jessie and Elvis, reunited. Even Jackie's name, like June's, started with the right letter.

By the time Jackie left the house, "There was definitely some romantic chemistry going on between the two of us. I didn't think about Elvis being a big, famous entertainer. He was just the sweet boy that I was in love with."

Of course, her familiarity with the family had begun the day before. Gladys admired a stick rhinestone pin that Marguerite wore, and Mrs. Rowland "sold" it to her for a penny, and then showed Gladys how to store a set of sterling silverware Elvis had just bought her. After that, Gladys led Jackie through the house. "I took pictures of Elvis's bedroom, his clothes closet, his messy bathroom -- anything that a little fourteen-year-old girl would think to do."

However, twenty-one-year-old Elvis did not treat Jackie as the child she was. He sang his new song, "Hound Dog," and started tickling her ("You know how boys love to tease and pinch girls"), calling her Goosey. From there, it grew more intense. "He said, 'You've got the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen,' and he was really tickling me, kissing me on the cheek and the ears. Something just clicked between us, and that was it."

Gladys, already guessing how Elvis would react to Jackie, had taken her alone that first day, auditioning her, as she did the older girls in whom Elvis took an interest. "She sat me down and asked me if I had a boyfriend, and what kind of grades I made in school, and did I believe in Jesus. She really asked me very personal questions, but, of course, at the time, I didn't think those were personal questions. I answered them, and I was happy to answer them, because I was proud of what I'd done in school and in my church."

Even at fourteen, Jackie had the sense that she was being interviewed to see if she measured up. It was almost as if Gladys were screening Jackie in an attempt to find a younger version of herself for her son. And Gladys was direct with her about her competition.

"She knew about the 'traveling girls,' as I call them, and she explained to me that Elvis hadn't sown all of his wild oats yet. It didn't bother me, because she said I still had time to grow up."

In fact, when Jackie returned to Jacksonville, she was convinced that she would see Elvis again soon, and that he wanted it as much as she did.

CMT : News : Book Excerpt: Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him
http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1629352/book-excerpt-baby-lets-play-house-elvis-presley-and-the-women-who-loved-him.jhtml

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

Well Doc, I have had my doubts as to whether or not this was June but I doubt very much that the photo is from July 4.

It could lok like the dress Gladys wore at the show but I doubt very much that Elvis would wear 4 different sets of clothes on this day.
First there was the suit he wore coming home on the train. Then the clothes he wore when he was out in the yard playing around with his motorcycle and then the clothes he wore for the show.

And the girl is nowhere to be seen among all the people at Audubon Drive that day.

OK, now we need somebody to go through the Memphis papers to see if we can find the paper Elvis is reading :lol:

Sincerely
Brian

drjohncarpenter

bripet56 wrote:Well Doc, I have had my doubts as to whether or not this was June but I doubt very much that the photo is from July 4.

It could lok like the dress Gladys wore at the show but I doubt very much that Elvis would wear 4 different sets of clothes on this day.
First there was the suit he wore coming home on the train. Then the clothes he wore when he was out in the yard playing around with his motorcycle and then the clothes he wore for the show.

And the girl is nowhere to be seen among all the people at Audubon Drive that day.

OK, now we need somebody to go through the Memphis papers to see if we can find the paper Elvis is reading :lol:
Jackie Rowland's story, as told to Alanna Nash, is compelling, and does not end in 1956.

We can both agree the girl in the photo is not June Juanico. That is undeniable.

Other points:

- Elvis' clothing could have been changed one time between riding the cycle and Judy's visit
- It's possible the visit came after photographer Al Wertheimer left
- The ring (right hand) and watch (left wrist) seem to match what we see on July 3-4
- That may be the stuffed teddy bear from the NY train ride squished in-between them

FWIW, the backside of the Memphis newspaper clearly shows "TRADE & SAVE SALE."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Well Doc, I have had my doubts as to whether or not this was June but I doubt very much that the photo is from July 4.

Jackie Rowland's story, as told to Alanna Nash, is compelling, and does not end in 1956.

We can both agree the girl in the photo is not June Juanico. That is undeniable.

Other points:

- Elvis' clothing could have been changed one time between riding the cycle and Judy's visit
- It's possible the visit came after photographer Al Wertheimer left
- The ring (right hand) and watch (left wrist) seem to match what we see on July 3-4
- That may be the stuffed teddy bear from the NY train ride squished in-between them

FWIW, the backside of the Memphis newspaper clearly shows "TRADE & SAVE SALE."
I doubt very much that Elvis would have changed clothes one more time. The train arrived in Memphis at 4:10 p.m. so he was probably back at Audubon Drive at 4:30, saying hello to his parents and other relatives, changing clothes then fooling around with his motorcycle, listening to records with Barbara, dancing with her, then a dip in the pool to play with his cousins, a shower and a shave, then changing into his stage-wear.
No, I doubt very much these are from July 4th.

Wertheimer was at Audubon Drive all during Elvis getting dressed for the show so he would definitely have taken at shot or two of Elvis in these clothes.

As for the teddy bear he brought back on the train, this one was so big it required a private seat on the train so there is no way this could hide between Elvis and the girl in the photo.

As for the ring and watch we can't tell much actually. If we could only see on which finger on his left hand he wore the ring we could at least tell if the photo was from after June 10.

Well, someday we'll get this one nailed too.

Sincerely
Brian

drjohncarpenter

bripet56 wrote:Thanks hilton, I found it a little bit bigger but with text across it.
560806-Lakeland-0330-bc02a-Ledger-Perkins.jpg
As for the photo of Elvis drinking a glass of water, this is actually from Memphis, June 19, 1956. Look at the background, it's above the fireplace at Audubon Drive.
560619-Memphis-22.jpg
560619-Memphis-01-bripet56.jpg
Sincerely
Brian
The drinking cup photo seems more likely to be from Lakeland on August 6, 1956.

Elvis' hair is longer, especially over his ears, he is seen holding a similar cup in a photo that appeared in the next day's paper, and he was photographed in front of a wall of white bricks backstage at the Polk Theatre in Lakeland that day.

560806_w Ginger Harrell_Lakeland FL_Landis Fleming.JPG
With Ginger Harrell, freshman at Lakeland High School, Monday, August 6, 1956
Photo: Landis Fleming, Lakeland Ledger

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

drjohncarpenter wrote: The drinking cup photo seems more likely to be from Lakeland on August 6, 1956.
bripet56 wrote: As for the photo of Elvis drinking a glass of water, this is actually from Memphis, June 19, 1956. Look at the background, it's above the fireplace at Audubon Drive.
560619-Memphis-22.jpg
The cup in the Lakeland paper looks more like a paper cup to me than this one but the photos we have are too poor to make a proper determination. I have to agree with Brian that these are from Memphis at Audubon Dr. in front of the fireplace. Note the vertical bricks above the fireplace opening and behind him.

drjohncarpenter

It's too bad the photo in question is not uncropped. That would solve the problem.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

For some further perspective, the photo with the guitar is taken more towards the right side of the fireplace while the one with the glass is taken towards the left. The relative position of the edges, vertical bricks, some shapes and overall height line up.
perspective.jpg

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Thanks hilton, I found it a little bit bigger but with text across it.
560806-Lakeland-0330-bc02a-Ledger-Perkins.jpg
As for the photo of Elvis drinking a glass of water, this is actually from Memphis, June 19, 1956. Look at the background, it's above the fireplace at Audubon Drive.
560619-Memphis-22.jpg
Sincerely
Brian
The drinking cup photo seems more likely to be from Lakeland on August 6, 1956.

Elvis' hair is longer, especially over his ears, he is seen holding a similar cup in a photo that appeared in the next day's paper, and he was photographed in front of a wall of white bricks backstage at the Polk Theatre in Lakeland that day.

560806_w Ginger Harrell_Lakeland FL_Landis Fleming.JPG
With Ginger Harrell, freshman at Lakeland High School, Monday, August 6, 1956
Photo: Landis Fleming, Lakeland Ledger
Sorry Doc, this time you´re wrong.
The drinking cup photo is 100% from Audubon Drive. I´ve studied the wall behind Elvis very closely in different photos and there is no doubt the photo is from Audubon Drive.
I first had it as Lakeland as well, but after comparing the photos from the Audubon wall I was sure. the photo is from Audubon Drive.

Sincerely
Brian

drjohncarpenter

bripet56 wrote:Sorry Doc, this time you´re wrong.
The drinking cup photo is 100% from Audubon Drive. I´ve studied the wall behind Elvis very closely in different photos and there is no doubt the photo is from Audubon Drive.
I first had it as Lakeland as well, but after comparing the photos from the Audubon wall I was sure. the photo is from Audubon Drive.
Do you have an uncropped view of the image? That would be definitive.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Sorry Doc, this time you´re wrong.
Do you have an uncropped view of the image? That would be definitive.
No Doc, I don´t have an uncropped view of that photo but hopefully I can convince you with the photo below taken at Audubon Drive in May 56. where Elvis is holding a similar if not the same glas.
01.jpg
Sincerely
Brian

drjohncarpenter

That is a very cool observation!

I have a gift coming for you ... stay tuned.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
bripet56

Post by bripet56 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:That is a very cool observation!

You know me, always curious, so I´ll stay tuned.

Sincerely
brian

drjohncarpenter

bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:That is a very cool observation!

You know me, always curious, so I´ll stay tuned.

Sincerely
brian
See -->
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74809

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by matilda »

JamesVRoy wrote:For some further perspective, the photo with the guitar is taken more towards the right side of the fireplace while the one with the glass is taken towards the left. The relative position of the edges, vertical bricks, some shapes and overall height line up.
perspective.jpg
if the pic with the cup should be at audubon...than elvis would have been a very small man.

The vertical bricks are just above the fireplace.
in the cup pic you see vertical bricks around the height of his shoulders....so it would be the beginning of the fireplace.
and this would mean that elvis shoulders would be in the height of the upper line of the fireplace....which would have made a midget of him....
so its doubtful that the drinking picture is from audubon.
Last edited by matilda on Sat May 11, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesVRoy

Post by JamesVRoy »

matilda wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:For some further perspective, the photo with the guitar is taken more towards the right side of the fireplace while the one with the glass is taken towards the left. The relative position of the edges, vertical bricks, some shapes and overall height line up.
perspective.jpg
if the pic with the cup should be at audubon...than elvis would have been a very small man.

The vertical bricks are just above the fireplace.
in the cup pic you see vertical bricks....so it would be the beginning of the fireplace.
and this would mean that elvis shoulders would be in the height of the upper line of the fireplace....which would have made a midget of him....
so its doubtful that the drinking picture is from audubon.
The response, which should obvious, he's sitting.

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by matilda »

well, i thought he was not...for some reasons.
:?

drjohncarpenter

bripet56 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:10 pm
I doubt very much that Elvis would have changed clothes one more time. The train arrived in Memphis at 4:10 p.m. so he was probably back at Audubon Drive at 4:30, saying hello to his parents and other relatives, changing clothes then fooling around with his motorcycle, listening to records with Barbara, dancing with her, then a dip in the pool to play with his cousins, a shower and a shave, then changing into his stage-wear.
No, I doubt very much these are from July 4th.

Wertheimer was at Audubon Drive all during Elvis getting dressed for the show so he would definitely have taken at shot or two of Elvis in these clothes.

As for the teddy bear he brought back on the train, this one was so big it required a private seat on the train so there is no way this could hide between Elvis and the girl in the photo.

As for the ring and watch we can't tell much actually. If we could only see on which finger on his left hand he wore the ring we could at least tell if the photo was from after June 10.

Well, someday we'll get this one nailed too.

Sincerely
Brian

Not that too many cared, but thanks to the newspaper in Elvis' hand, which you noted was a good clue to follow, I determined the date of Jackie Rowland's visit was Sunday, July 8, 1956. Both the photos were made that day.

Jackie Rowland's Audubon visit --> Sunday, July 8, 1956
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113822

Another puzzle piece for those who care.

As always, thanks bripet56.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.