Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:08 pm

burroughs wrote:
Barbara Hahn wrote:..yet Jerry still managed to keep the price below $50. We realize it's quite costly to pay shipping to Europe so we would like to help the European Elvis fans outside of England. Anyone in the UK can get one of these books from Chris Giles at a good price and I'm sure you all know Chris. He is your source for "Elvis Like Any Other Soldier." Anyone in Scandinavia can contact us directly and if you mention the FECC Forum we'll give you a special discount. Also, we'd like you to know that the same box we use to ship one book will hold two of the books at NO extra cost Priority Mail International Flat Rate Medium box holds one or two books for the same price. So why not get two, one for you and one for a friend and split the shipping costs. For about $10 more you can get three books in one (Priority Mail International Flat Rate Large) box and then you and two friends can get a book and pay even less for shipping to Europe when split three ways.

:!: thanks a lot, barb :smt006

I'm sorry, didn't mean to limit this offer only to Scandinavian countries. Let me say it is for anyone outside of UK where it is available through The Elvis Shop. 8) Thank you for writing and asking. I think we made you a great offer dropping the total cost down to $58 per book (including the shipping) from $92.00. :idea: If I can save $34 on one item I prefer it, don't you?

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 am

jessewade wrote:I've just bought it on ebay. 49 USD for the book, 43 in shipping :?

Have you received your book yet? Please share your thoughts, we'd like to know. :lol:

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:17 am

Yes Barbara I received it yesterday thanks :wink: Even if I buy every book about Elvis I was reluctant at first buying this one as I had been very disappointed when the first version was released .
I'm pleased to say this is completely different book. And yes this may be the definitive pictorial history of elvis' army days as it is even more complete than "a date with Elvis" .
It is very impressive and I love to see all the pictures in chronological order . The major flaw of the book is the low quality of many photos. I know that many were taken by fans but quality of very well known pics - 1959 publicity stills , elvis and vernon on august 14th 1958 , Paris pictures etc, etc....- is poor too which I don't understand .
Anyway this book is a must to have for any serious fan. Buy it you won't be disappointed

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:32 pm

I received the book yesterday as well. Thanks, Barbara! I couldn´t believe the amount of unseen photos in this book. Some of them are really amazing. Anyone interested in new photos should get this book.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:42 pm

joeybowie wrote:Awsome! Is there any way you could tell me how much space & photos are covered on his time at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas?

And thanks to Joey, this gorgeous (no brag just fact :lol: ) volume now sits in the Fort Chaffee Museum! Thank you Joey!

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:44 pm

I just received the book, and I must say I have mixed emotions. Most of the new photos are really sensational. Having said that, the book contains many photos that have been available elsewhere and in better quality. Quite a few pictures were either taken from the Internet or used without other authors' permission (e.g. Elvis in Munich). Another nuiscance is that many dates and places are incorrect. This book could have been so much better...

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:13 pm

The fool wrote:I received the book yesterday as well. Thanks, Barbara! I couldn´t believe the amount of unseen photos in this book. Some of them are really amazing. Anyone interested in new photos should get this book.

Can you show a few pics? Love to see them! :wink:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:06 pm

lsp2231 wrote:Most of the new photos are really sensational.

Glad you find these sensational as well. The significance and rarity of these photo's was one of the key reasons for EPE to sell the book directly

lsp2231 wrote:Another nuiscance is that many dates and places are incorrect.

As clearly stated in the preview, the book is not perfect because there are some errors (unevitable with so many new photo's; even some photographer or army buddies who supplied the photos could not always remember the correct date or location) So after reading the preview copy I informed the Authors of some errors , but due to very tight publication timelines (the book was scheduled for release during last Elvis week 2010) this updated information could not be included in the pressing. Therefore, the second volume will have all these infos updated, with even more unpublished photos and stories and will also credit the copyrighted owners individually.

For any other issues you may have please contact the Author directly: http://www.jerryosborne.com.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:08 pm

sheila wrote:
The fool wrote:I received the book yesterday as well. Thanks, Barbara! I couldn´t believe the amount of unseen photos in this book. Some of them are really amazing. Anyone interested in new photos should get this book.

Can you show a few pics? Love to see them! :wink:

You can see some samples photo's on page 1 of this thread.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:58 am

RE: "Quite a few pictures used without permission."

For the record, a sincere effort was made to credit every image when we knew who to credit — whether EPE or anyone. If any are not credited that should be, they will be in the next printing. Just contact us directly. We're fun and friendly people and easy to work with.
We had a strict deadline to get the book finished and published before August 2010 and shortcuts had to be taken. It was tied-in with the first ever army reunion with the soldiers who are featured in the book, the men who served in the army with Elvis.

We have been informed of some issues by E-Cat and they too will be updated in the next print. Many date errors were based on the memories of those interviewed. He has been extremely helpful and we're pleased with the prospects of the next edition.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:58 pm

This is one heck of a preview, for anyone who hasn't got this book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=cFTFaG ... dier+(2010):+The+Definitive+Pictorial+History+of+...+By+Jerry+Osborne,+Barbara+Hahn&hl=en&ei=LrAkTcqdO8XPhAetrPixAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Davide

Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 am

Now, the quality of the pictures:
The cover photo is already the first poor-quality picture of this book. When I say poor quality, I don't mean old, scratched or blurry photos. I mean photos that look as though they had been taken from the Internet or other low-res digital sources or are distorted, although they would have been available in better quality. There are about 150 of these.
Really new pictures - not available in previous books: around 400. Some of them are really sensational.
I don't care too much about the Betty Harper drawings in this book, although I do like them in general.
All in all, this book could have been around 100 pages less thick, or some of the pictures could have given more space.
Still, 400 new pictures is nothing to complain about.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:38 am

There will be the second pressing of this volume? I mean, with updated informations and dates. And when will be on the market? I ask that becouse i will buy it, without questions, i just hope some distorted photos will be replaced - don't need to distorted a photo just to fit in the page design, maibe will crop a little to fit, no problem with that.
Anyway, i don't complain about the BOOK, this is a must addition to any fan library, but i'm sorry about these well known photos presented here in low quality.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:54 am

lsp2231 wrote:Now, the quality of the pictures:
The cover photo is already the first poor-quality picture of this book. When I say poor quality, I don't mean old, scratched or blurry photos. I mean photos that look as though they had been taken from the Internet or other low-res digital sources or are distorted, although they would have been available in better quality. There are about 150 of these.
Really new pictures - not available in previous books: around 400. Some of them are really sensational.
I don't care too much about the Betty Harper drawings in this book, although I do like them in general.
All in all, this book could have been around 100 pages less thick, or some of the pictures could have given more space.
Still, 400 new pictures is nothing to complain about.

As mentioned before some pages were not of best quality because we could not find the original photos.in time for publication, so these were scanned from the first publication. Though the new edition will not have this problem stil; these photos were needed as part of the book. In additon, not many people have been complaining about this release which you blow up outside proportions.. In fact, Barnes & Nobles and Amazon found the overall quality of the book interesting enough to consider selling the book . And where do you get so many unreased photo's at a such cheap price ?!
If you don't like the book, send it to me a I give you a refund minus shipping.because it makes no sense to keep debating issues that is not shared by the majority off all clients .(and which we also explained several times

As for some errors you referred to, I was sent the the new releases of "Elvis Files" which was very disappointing. It has a nice lay out but no photo was new and looking at the army days there are many errors and no pernission for use was asked by me or other The only info that was correct was the information I discussed on FECC. So this and the many errors makes this book not essential. . Same goes for other books like Army Days Revisited, or for Private Presley, [iS]ergeant Presley[/i], Elvis in Grafenwoehr, ,and also [i]Elvis in Munchen..all book have errors

So the new book will have all errors corrected from previous releases but will also correct errors from other books since it is our aim to release a book which covers every detail.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 am

hilton22000 wrote:There will be the second pressing of this volume? I mean, with updated informations and dates. And when will be on the market? I ask that becouse i will buy it, without questions, i just hope some distorted photos will be replaced - don't need to distorted a photo just to fit in the page design, maibe will crop a little to fit, no problem with that.
Anyway, i don't complain about the BOOK, this is a must addition to any fan library, but i'm sorry about these well known photos presented here in low quality.

No problem Hilton, the second book will include some error corrections and will have more interesting topic and interesting photos

Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:24 pm

If you don't like the book, send it to me a I give you a refund minus shipping.because it makes no sense to keep debating issues that is not shared by the majority off all clients .(and which we also explained several times

I never said I don't like it at all. You have been going on about the Elvis Files, too. The Elvis In Munich book received excellent reviews throughout when it came out. I'm not saying that it is perfect, but the dates and places are all there. So, all the errors that Like Any Other Soldier contains with respect to Munich could have been avoided.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 pm

lsp2231 wrote: I'm not saying that it is perfect, but the dates and places are all there..

Elvis went to Munich 2 times, so it is relative easier to date these photo's correctly compared to
a book that that describes zillion places, that is a big difference. Especially if people who took the
photo no longer remember the details. In fact many people who were there don't even care if
a photo was taken in Vilseck in January or in Grafenwöhr in February. What they DO care about
is to share their unique story and that is exactly what this book is all about.

lsp2231 wrote:So, all the errors that Like Any Other Soldier contains with respect to Munich could
have been avoided.

Barbara already mentioned that I sent her a list of correction which could not be included in this edition
because of printing deadlines. We explained that from the start of this preview many times.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 pm

Don't be deceived, my friend. Although Elvis visited Munich only twice, there were a lot of incorrect dates floating around - and there still are. Elvis - Day By Day mentions March 5, 1959 for the boat ride, but it was March 3. Further, it mentions March 4 for the Bavaria studio visit, but that was March 3 also. Both Rex Mansfield and Day By Day got the date of Elvis' second trip to Munich wrong. They wrote June 13 instead of June 12. And then, there is the Eve Bar, of course...

Once again, I'm not saying the Like Any Other Soldier is bad. It has some great stories and rare photos in it! In that way, it is similar to The Ultimate Elvis In Munich Book and A Date With Elvis, and it does contain quite a few photos from both books. ;-)

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:50 am

E-Cat wrote: In fact, Barnes & Nobles and Amazon found the overall quality of the book interesting enough to consider selling the book.

Well done Barbie & Jerry ...now it IS for sale at world’s largest bookseller Barnes & Noble :wink:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Elvis- ... is+soldier

Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:00 pm

I can't wait to see the updated volume, i will buy for sure!!