Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:15 pm

TONY wrote:
Maricela wrote:Just got my copy and I must say this is an awsome book stuffed with RARE photos!!! Unortunally most of the photos are reproduced in a bad quality but well worth getting regardless of the less then good print quality.



WHAT???!!?? And it's over 50 quid for poor quality product?!


In spite of bad repro of most of the photos I DO recomend this book as it is packed with never before seen photos and lots of interesting information. If only the quality was better it would have been one of the best books ever!

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:18 am

I received my copy and i must say it's a GREAT book, many, many unreleased photos (new to me, at least), many infos and stories.
The only minus is the low quality of some of the photos - i mean there are many photos with distortions, enlarged to much, etc. But i think it's a valuable addition to any seroius fan.
It cost me £49.99 + £16 shipping - it's a big book, exactly like Day by Day.
https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/inde ... t_id=18115

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:33 am

Had this book for over a week now and I think it's a great book chronicling Elvis' army years. About 85% of the photos are new to me. So, I think this is a great addition to my collection.

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:18 pm

hilton22000 wrote:The only minus is the low quality of some of the photos - i mean there are many photos with distortions, enlarged to much, etc. But i think it's a valuable addition to any seroius fan.
It cost me £49.99 + £16 shipping - it's a big book, exactly like Day by Day.
https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/inde ... t_id=18115



Yes, I like the fact that there are previously unseen photos in the book, but now dubious to buy because of the stated LOW quality. I wonder if this is so there can be ANOTHER army book in a few years with the same pics again in the correct and proper quality?! After all, isn't this just an update on a previous book with the same name?

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:06 pm

The book is worth the money, trust me!! Some photos are not so good, but just think a little: you'll have 1300 photos in great/good quality, many unpublished. And you have all the (corect) info you need about the army years, chronological, with photos.
There are over 1300 photos of Elvis and, let's say, 100 in not so good quality...so what? It's still Elvis, and these photos are from private collections, made by fans. I think it's a bargain.
Anyway, i'm very happy with my copy and i can't wait to have some time to study this book, now i just look to photos and read some.

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:19 am

jon_burrows wrote:How much is this book and where can it be bought?

:smt006

]Hi everyone! E-Cat and I have been talking and I must say to you all, you have a gem of a guy in your pocket when you have E-Cat. To know him is to have a plethora of Elvis history and knowledge at your disposal. Thank you E-Cat for sharing your knowledge and thank you for all the nice words and endorsements of the new book Jerry Osborne and I just put out. It took a couple years out of our life and many hours spent locating the former soldiers who served in the army with Elvis in Germany and/or completed basic training with him at Fort Hood, Texas.

We put a lot into this book and there are over 1,500 photos, with Elvis in about 1,300 of them — yet Jerry still managed to keep the price below $50. We realize it's quite costly to pay shipping to Europe so we would like to help the European Elvis fans outside of England. Anyone in the UK can get one of these books from Chris Giles at a good price and I'm sure you all know Chris. He is your source for "Elvis Like Any Other Soldier." Anyone in Scandinavia can contact us directly and if you mention the FECC Forum we'll give you a special discount. Also, we'd like you to know that the same box we use to ship one book will hold two of the books at NO extra cost Priority Mail International Flat Rate Medium box holds one or two books for the same price. So why not get two, one for you and one for a friend and split the shipping costs. For about $10 more you can get three books in one (Priority Mail International Flat Rate Large) box and then you and two friends can get a book and pay even less for shipping to Europe when split three ways.

We think it's a great book and hope Elvis fans all over the world will want one. Get more info right here:
http://www.jerryosborne.com/army.htm

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:51 pm

Is it only an update of the previous edition ? Is there a big difference with "a date with elvis" by andreas schroer, the best book about elvis' army days in my opinion ?

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 am

jessewade wrote:Is it only an update of the previous edition ? Is there a big difference with "a date with elvis" by andreas schroer, the best book about elvis' army days in my opinion ?


:smt006 I don't know about "A Date With Elvis" but as far as this simply being a reprint of the first edition from 20 years ago, that couldn't be further from the truth. This is a completely different book with the title slightly modified from "Elvis: Like Any Other Solder" to "Elvis: Like Any Other Solder (Special 50th Anniversary Edition Commemorating Elvis' Army Years)". The next one will probably be called "Elvis: Like Any Other Solder - Volume Three" :lol: and will be somewhat different again as we gather and collect more stories and more new photos from new soldiers not previously interviewed.

This one has 504 pages with 104 of them in fantastic color. The first edition had about 80 unnumbered pages, all black-and-white. The first edition was an exact reproduction of the "Hell On Wheels" yearbook from Fort Hood Texas with Elvis' basic training Company A plus several pages of unidentified candid photos. This edition does not have the complete "Hell On Wheels" yearbook but the photos of Elvis in the yearbook were pulled and assembled together on two or three pages. It contains the history of the "Hell On Wheels" division and the same for the "Spearhead" division. It has so many, many more photos, each telling a story and the stories are included this time. The first volume had absolutely NO stories about Elvis in the army or from his fans who saw him in Texas and Germany. This edition has page after page of letters hand-written by Elvis to his girlfriend and friends back home and it contains page after page of official letters from the army to Elvis and to his family and from Colonel Parker to Elvis and Vernon. These letters in themself tell their own stories of what he was feeling at the time being so far from home and missing his mother plus you see the army's perspective of their very public soldier in the correspondence to him and about him. Where else can you find a compilation of all these letters and official documents in one volume?

I will address the photo quality question here. Some photos were not obtained in high resolution and we did the best we could with them and some were poor quality from the original photographer and some have degraded over the 50 years since but we wanted to include them because of their imagery and the story they told. These were not taken by professional photographers but by people like you and me and not all of us are great with a camera but we capture momentous ocassions as best we can and we share them with friends and fans.The majority of the photos are new and never published and excellent quality from the army archives, Elvis Archives, the Spearhead Collection and from the soldiers and fans who were there. The stories from the soldiers are phenominal and reveal a different side of Elvis, the soldier, who they thought was just like them! The stories from the fans who were at Elvis' house in Bad Nauheim are new to many of us and when you put it all together, all we can say is WOW! What a story! I hope this helps clear up some questions. This edition is nothing like the first one other than the similarity in title.

Many of these soldiers interviewed for the book met each other in Memphis for the first time since they left Elvis and the army 50 years ago. We met this year during Elvis Week as we celebrated the release of the book and a 50-year army reunion and they sat in on the book-signing so many lucky fans were able to get their "Soldier" book signed by the guys who are in the book. And if any of you want one of these specially signed volumes, we have some available but not discounted. They have a premium price as you could imagine they would have a premium value, and the extra money goes into a fund for the soldiers.

The Volume 3 (mentioned above) will likely include some great photos of the soldiers as they look now. There's just no knowing when another edition will be printed but certainly not before this limited one is sold out. Hopefully it will be in less than 20 years. :wink: I would suggest if anyone has the first volume they should absolutely get this one and see the vast differences in each, plus you would want a complete set for sure.

Thank you all,
Barbara :smt007

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:59 am

hilton22000 wrote:The book is worth the money, trust me!! Some photos are not so good, but just think a little: you'll have 1300 photos in great/good quality, many unpublished. And you have all the (corect) info you need about the army years, chronological, with photos.
There are over 1300 photos of Elvis and, let's say, 100 in not so good quality...so what? It's still Elvis, and these photos are from private collections, made by fans. I think it's a bargain.
Anyway, i'm very happy with my copy and i can't wait to have some time to study this book, now i just look to photos and read some.


Thank you Hilton! I'm glad you got your book and so glad you see the benefit of including even the lesser than top quality images for the stories they tell.

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Barbara Hahn wrote:..yet Jerry still managed to keep the price below $50. We realize it's quite costly to pay shipping to Europe so we would like to help the European Elvis fans outside of England. Anyone in the UK can get one of these books from Chris Giles at a good price and I'm sure you all know Chris. He is your source for "Elvis Like Any Other Soldier." Anyone in Scandinavia can contact us directly and if you mention the FECC Forum we'll give you a special discount. Also, we'd like you to know that the same box we use to ship one book will hold two of the books at NO extra cost Priority Mail International Flat Rate Medium box holds one or two books for the same price. So why not get two, one for you and one for a friend and split the shipping costs. For about $10 more you can get three books in one (Priority Mail International Flat Rate Large) box and then you and two friends can get a book and pay even less for shipping to Europe when split three ways.

:!: thanks a lot, barb :smt006

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Barbara Hahn wrote:
hilton22000 wrote:The book is worth the money, trust me!! Some photos are not so good, but just think a little: you'll have 1300 photos in great/good quality, many unpublished. And you have all the (corect) info you need about the army years, chronological, with photos.
There are over 1300 photos of Elvis and, let's say, 100 in not so good quality...so what? It's still Elvis, and these photos are from private collections, made by fans. I think it's a bargain.
Anyway, i'm very happy with my copy and i can't wait to have some time to study this book, now i just look to photos and read some.


Thank you Hilton! I'm glad you got your book and so glad you see the benefit of including even the lesser than top quality images for the stories they tell.

Thank you very much for all your hard work, it's a joy for all to have you here, with us. This is the right place to find real fans, but i think you already know that!
I hope to see volume 3, but please hurry, we're not so young anymore... :wink:

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Had this book for nigh on two weeks now and the further into the book I get the more pleased I am with it. The so-called "poor quality" photos don't detract from the overall quality of the book. These photos still capture a moment in Elvis' army life and some of them come with great stories. As barbara said these snappers weren't professional photographers but mostly ordinary GIs with regular 'of-the-day' cameras. Without these guys snapping away we wouldn't have any photos at all.

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:50 am

Barbara Hahn wrote:E-Cat and I have been talking and I must say to you all, you have a gem of a guy in your pocket when you have E-Cat. To know him is to have a plethora of Elvis history and knowledge at your disposal. Thank you E-Cat for sharing your knowledge and thank you for all the nice words and endorsements of the new book Jerry Osborne and I just put out.

My pleasure. :oops: ...I will keep you busy with some more info soon :lol:

Barbara Hahn wrote:The majority of the photos are new and never published and excellent quality from the army archives, Elvis Archives, the Spearhead Collection and from the soldiers and fans who were there.

The amount of unpublished photos and never before told stories make this book one of a kind !

The Army days are so fascinating !

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:35 am

burroughs wrote:
Barbara Hahn wrote:..yet Jerry still managed to keep the price below $50. We realize it's quite costly to pay shipping to Europe so we would like to help the European Elvis fans outside of England. Anyone in the UK can get one of these books from Chris Giles at a good price and I'm sure you all know Chris. He is your source for "Elvis Like Any Other Soldier." Anyone in Scandinavia can contact us directly and if you mention the FECC Forum we'll give you a special discount. Also, we'd like you to know that the same box we use to ship one book will hold two of the books at NO extra cost Priority Mail International Flat Rate Medium box holds one or two books for the same price. So why not get two, one for you and one for a friend and split the shipping costs. For about $10 more you can get three books in one (Priority Mail International Flat Rate Large) box and then you and two friends can get a book and pay even less for shipping to Europe when split three ways.

:!: thanks a lot, barb :smt006

You're very welcome. Now go find a friend or two and write back to us soon. We'll get them right out to you and you can see for yourself what everyone is talking about.

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:36 am

E-Cat wrote:
Barbara Hahn wrote:E-Cat and I have been talking and I must say to you all, you have a gem of a guy in your pocket when you have E-Cat. To know him is to have a plethora of Elvis history and knowledge at your disposal. Thank you E-Cat for sharing your knowledge and thank you for all the nice words and endorsements of the new book Jerry Osborne and I just put out.

My pleasure. :oops: ...I will keep you busy with some more info soon :lol:

Barbara Hahn wrote:The majority of the photos are new and never published and excellent quality from the army archives, Elvis Archives, the Spearhead Collection and from the soldiers and fans who were there.

The amount of unpublished photos and never before told stories make this book one of a kind !

The Army days are so fascinating !


I'm beginning to see that! :P

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:39 am

jon_burrows wrote:Had this book for nigh on two weeks now and the further into the book I get the more pleased I am with it. The so-called "poor quality" photos don't detract from the overall quality of the book. These photos still capture a moment in Elvis' army life and some of them come with great stories. As barbara said these snappers weren't professional photographers but mostly ordinary GIs with regular 'of-the-day' cameras. Without these guys snapping away we wouldn't have any photos at all.



And what about that very first photo on page 7?!!! Has ANYONE EVER seen Elvis doing KP? You have now!

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Maricela wrote:
TONY wrote:
Maricela wrote:Just got my copy and I must say this is an awsome book stuffed with RARE photos!!! Unortunally most of the photos are reproduced in a bad quality but well worth getting regardless of the less then good print quality.



WHAT???!!?? And it's over 50 quid for poor quality product?!


In spite of bad repro of most of the photos I DO recomend this book as it is packed with never before seen photos and lots of interesting information. If only the quality was better it would have been one of the best books ever!


May I add that the "book" is not a "poor quality product," far from it! Just some of the pictures were not great to begin with but were included because they're ELVIS in the army and the book is about Elvis in the army.

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:44 pm

I've just bought it on ebay. 49 USD for the book, 43 in shipping :?

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 pm

jessewade wrote:I've just bought it on ebay. 49 USD for the book, 43 in shipping :?

I bought it for £66 = 104.79 USD, and i'm still happy. The book is big, and the postage is expensive, what can i say? But...the book is BIG, this is important, i think. :wink:

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:51 am

Does this book contain a lot of the same pictures as "A Date with Elvis" or are they totally different ?
Anyone who has both and can help with this question ?

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:58 am

Mike DK wrote:Does this book contain a lot of the same pictures as "A Date with Elvis" or are they totally different ?
Anyone who has both and can help with this question ?

No, many are different. In addition, this book has twice as many pages.

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:13 am

Thanks E-cat :)

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:19 am

Mike DK wrote:Thanks E-cat :)

No problem Mike - I hope you will enjoy the book!

Barbara Hahn wrote:And what about that very first photo on page 7?!!! Has ANYONE EVER seen Elvis doing KP?

For people to understand / enjoy I hope you don't mind I copied (and edited) this page from the review copy..

I think the underlined comments are priceless

Image

More info: Elvis was not an Acting Sgt but was promoted to Assistent Squad Leader (ASL) and was wearing his COG
(Corporal of the Guard) armband, This photo was taken in Fort Hood end of May / early June 1958 (probably on May 28th)

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:41 am

This is GOOD information to know. Thank you E-Cat. I've made the notation.

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:11 am

jessewade wrote:I've just bought it on ebay. 49 USD for the book, 43 in shipping :?


I know who YOU are! :smt006 Thank you A.L. Why didn't you write to us directly instead of getting it through ebay? Save the ebay sales for people who don't have an "inside track" with the publisher. We shipped your book today, should arrive next week. But hey, everyone else, write to us directly, we will give you a discount, save some money on the book. It's the shipping that costs so dang much. But if you get two books the shipping is the same price, the box is big enough to hold two books or one book with a lot of stuffing to fill the empty space.

Barbara Hahn