Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm

I recently received a preview copy of the new Army book “Elvis Like Any Other Soldier” by Jerry Osborne & Barbara Hahn
for which I provided some photo’s from my Spearhead Collection. Though the timeline for official release did not allow more time
to date all photo’s correctly I am still very impressed with the end result:

Over 500 pages (!) with 1500 photo’s (many never seen before) with great detail behind many photo’s!

Unlike many other Army releases, this book is not only about Elvis in Germany, but covers his entire army period. You will find
many rare private candid’s from soldiers and sergeants who actually served with Elvis who also shared many firsthand stories
in this book. It also includes a few more unseen candids of Janie Wilbanks, the girl Elvis invited to Germany after they briefly
met in Memphis. There are also some great photo's from a platoon party from early 1959 with Margit Buergin being present.

The highlight of the book is a recently found box of color photos from Grafenwhör. Though not of best quality, color candids are
a true rarity ! You will even find photo’s of Elvis in Weiden (which is only 15 miles of the Czech Republic), which actually puts an
end to the discussion if and when Elvis visited Weiden. But there are so many more photo’s and stories to enjoy, see sample
page below.

Is the book perfect ? No. there are many incorrect dates....however, given the time pressure to release this book in time, many
fans will be glad to enjoy the many new photo’s and many interesting background stories and therefore the book is an highly
recommended release and simply the best publication about Elvis Army day’s so far.(4 out of 5 stars)

The book is planned to be released end of August. However a limited quantity will be available at Elvis week:

Friday, August 13, 2010
2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Graceland Plaza.
Jerry Osborne and Barbara Hahn will be on hand to sign copies of their new book, "Elvis: Like Any Other Soldier."

More info here: http://www.jerryosborne.com/army.htm

Some sample photo’s from the book

(the cropped photo has been posted before on FECC). L-R Alan Fortas, Louis Hariss, GK and the
guy peeking through the window is William Norvell

Re: Elvis Like Any Other Soldier - New book preview

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:40 pm

To E-Cat

The book looks good,Elvis with his gold disc,wow great shot - I look forward to it's release.

Here is the text to the last photo,of Elvis on the train. great to see it uncropped

Memphis Tennessee,Alan Fortas (lower left)unknown and George Klien(cropped out) greet Elvis at a fuel stop.
Billy Smith : The troop train that carried him to the Military Ocean Terminal in Brooklyn,New York,had to stop on a spur track in Memphis.I went to the train to see him with my mama and daddy. The sergeant wouldn't let Elvis get off the train,but he let him come to the door,Some of the guys came,like george and Alan. Elvis was really glad to see us.We told him we'd be waiting for him to get home because we were trying to act jolly.I climbed up on the train and told him how much I was going to miss him,and he leaned down and hugged me and said,'Take care,little fella,and stay in touch. I'll be talking to you' We both got tears in our eyes,and then he said 'Don't forget me while I'm gone',

Found here-Elvis Sails - Brooklyn army Terminal September 22nd 1958

I'm not familiar with Louis Hariss,who I had listed as unknown?

Davide

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:03 am

davide wrote:To E-Cat
The book looks good,Elvis with his gold disc,wow great shot - I look forward to it's release.

Thanks David.Yes those shots with the gold disc are really great. There are more full color pages about this award in the book.

davide wrote:Here is the text to the last photo,of Elvis on the train. great to see it uncropped

I think Lamar posted the uncropped version on Ebay. Louis Harris was a friend of GK and briefly worked for Elvis.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 am

Thank you very much for this preview, this book was, anyway, on my wanted list, but now i know this will be a great book. I really can't wait - this book, King Creole FTD book and Elvis On Tour - J.A.T. will be my gift for myself for August... :wink:

By the way, i found the original, £30, is it worth the money? Or i better wait for this updated version? I mean, i'll buy the new book anyway, but i should buy the old one, too?
Last edited by hilton22000 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:13 am

davide wrote:Here is the text to the last photo,of Elvis on the train. great to see it uncropped

I think Lamar posted the uncropped version on Ebay. Louis Harris was a friend of GK and briefly worked for Elvis.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Davide

Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:47 am

hilton22000 wrote:Thank you very much for this preview, this book was, anyway, on my wanted list, but now i know this will be a great book. I really can't wait - this book, King Creole FTD book and Elvis On Tour - J.A.T. will be my gift for myself for August... :wink:

By the way, i found the original, £30, is it worth the money? Or i better wait for this updated version? I mean, i'll buy the new book anyway, but i should buy the old one, too?

Hi Hilton, for you to make a decission please consider the following:

the Yearbook photo's as published in this edition are cropped and edited (circled around Elvis' head and reduced in size )

...more info about the second edition later...

Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:26 am

Thank you for the info, i guess i'll save my money and i'll wait this new edition.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Awesome E-Cat, thanks!

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Awsome! Is there any way you could tell me how much space & photos are covered on his time at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas?

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi E-cat and everybody else.

I sure hope you can help me with this:
I have posted this photo before asking for a color version (not a colorised version) of this photo.
Nobody could help me back then, but I try again:

Does anybody have this photo in color (and good quality)?

I am pretty sure I had a poster (in color) of this photo on my wall when I was a litle boy some 30 years ago, but I have not been able to get in color these days. The poster is long gone ofcourse.

Can anybody help me?

Have a nice day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:48 pm

The number of unissued images makes this book a must-own for the serious Presley fan. It's such an interesting moment in his life and career. After March 1958, nothing would ever be the same.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:05 pm

joeybowie wrote:Awsome! Is there any way you could tell me how much space & photos are covered on his time at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas?
There are about 10 pages about Ft Chaffee, still a lot of unpublished photo's exist.

1974c wrote:Hi E-cat and everybody else.

I sure hope you can help me with this:
I have posted this photo before asking for a color version (not a colorised version) of this photo.
Nobody could help me back then, but I try again:

Does anybody have this photo in color (and good quality)?

I am pretty sure I had a poster (in color) of this photo on my wall when I was a litle boy some 30 years ago, but I have not been able to get in color these days. The poster is long gone ofcourse.

Can anybody help me?

Have a nice day!

I hope I can be of help here. There are 3 set of photo's :

b/w photo's from Bad Nauheim
color photo's from Bad Nauheim
b/w photo's from the barracks (AP wire photo's from Frankfurt, including the photo you posted)

Though all these photo's may seem similar, these are not all from the same location. There are some other differences as well.

drjohncarpenter wrote:The number of unissued images makes this book a must-own for the serious Presley fan.

Cool to hear you enjoyed the copy that I had sent to you... :)

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:56 am

Thank you very much for all the infos. This month i'll surelly buy this book - i just bought "Elvis on Tour" (JAT book and the new DVD) and King Creole FTD, and i must recover a little... :wink:
Last edited by hilton22000 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:37 am

How much is this book and where can it be bought?

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:11 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The number of unissued images makes this book a must-own for the serious Presley fan. It's such an interesting moment in his life and career. After March 1958, nothing would ever be the same.

No, nothing would ever be the same, but some things were just as good, recording wise, if not better.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:28 pm

jon_burrows wrote:How much is this book and where can it be bought?

I will buy from Chris Gilles' shop: https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/
Price: £49.99+postage. Very fast delivery and very, very serious shop.
Tonight i'll do my order and in 4-5 days i'll get the book. I really can't wait!!!

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:05 pm

hilton22000 wrote:
jon_burrows wrote:How much is this book and where can it be bought?

I will buy from Chris Gilles' shop: https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/
Price: £49.99+postage. Very fast delivery and very, very serious shop.
Tonight i'll do my order and in 4-5 days i'll get the book. I really can't wait!!!

Hi hilton22000, I already looked in the Elvis shop but couldn't see it.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Check this, please:
https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/inde ... t_id=18115

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 am

great review E-Cat so much appreciate the update.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:35 pm

hilton22000 wrote:Check this, please:
https://www.theelvisshoplondon.com/inde ... t_id=18115

Thanks hilton22000

Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:11 pm

One day, we may be able to buy a book on Elvis that is under £50!!! :x

Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:59 pm

E-Cat wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The number of unissued images makes this book a must-own for the serious Presley fan.

Cool to hear you enjoyed the copy that I had sent to you... :)

Yes, it was a great surprise and a joy to explore. When that list is ready, please sent it along.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:54 am

Just got my copy and I must say this is an awsome book stuffed with RARE photos!!! Unortunally most of the photos are reproduced in a bad quality but well worth getting regardless of the less then good print quality.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:31 pm

Maricela wrote:Just got my copy and I must say this is an awsome book stuffed with RARE photos!!! Unortunally most of the photos are reproduced in a bad quality but well worth getting regardless of the less then good print quality.

WHAT???!!?? And it's over 50 quid for poor quality product?!

Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:31 pm

if anyone could check me a copy WITHOUT taking 50 bucks for shipping to austria (!), drop me a line, please :smt006