Post here your Elvis' pictures

Memphis 1975 in color?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:42 am

Are there any color shots from this show? Tunzi's book has only b&w...

Re: Memphis 1975 in color?

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Aren´t the shot on "From E. P. Boulevard..." LP from that show?

Kind regards//Björn

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

dreambear wrote:Aren´t the shot on "From E. P. Boulevard..." LP from that show?

A common mistake, that's in fact from Mobile June 2nd.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:

Really? :shock:

My favorite show from 75 :!:

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:14 am

i always thought the fepb cover was a shot from 6/10/75
SNG ::rocks

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 am

Scott Hayward wrote:

Not according to the photographer:

Interview Keith Alverson And Ed Bonja
Apr 15, 2001
http://www.elvisnews.com/articles.aspx/interview-keith-alverson-and-ed-bonja/422

The last time Ed photographed Elvis was on June 10, 1975, in Memphis.

"That was the closing night of a tour, and one of the most used photos of Elvis ever was from that last show -- you know, the full-length shot used on the album cover From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee, which was released in May of 1976.
They only used the top half of that shot, but I know you'll know it from that. After that, Elvis put on a little extra weight, and I decided to wait until he lost it before I would photograph him again. Unfortunately, that did not happen; and, YES, I did feel that there was something seriously wrong with his health through the latter part of 1975 and through 1976 and '77."

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:56 am

That seems more like what I've always heard (including from Ed, myself)

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Not according to the photographer:

Interview Keith Alverson And Ed Bonja
Apr 15, 2001
http://www.elvisnews.com/articles.aspx/interview-keith-alverson-and-ed-bonja/422

The last time Ed photographed Elvis was on June 10, 1975, in Memphis.

"That was the closing night of a tour, and one of the most used photos of Elvis ever was from that last show -- you know, the full-length shot used on the album cover From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee, which was released in May of 1976.
They only used the top half of that shot, but I know you'll know it from that. After that, Elvis put on a little extra weight, and I decided to wait until he lost it before I would photograph him again. Unfortunately, that did not happen; and, YES, I did feel that there was something seriously wrong with his health through the latter part of 1975 and through 1976 and '77."

With all due respect to Bonja, I don't think he has been able to date but a fraction of his own pics correctly.
OK, time to look at details, people.
Here's one from Memphis in b&w
elvis302.jpg

Note the number of white tape strips on the mic cord: 3
Then take a look at that famous cover shot:
memphismem75wh8.jpg

Now, there's only two such strips. Furthermore, we know from super-8 film taken in Memphis that the band was in light blue...and not red, as we know they were in Mobile.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:20 am

uh oh, we may have an upset victory in the works!

This would be great for me, I love this show as I already said! The man nearly blew the roof off the building that night on several songs. Amazing performance!.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:24 am

One further piece of evidence: see how the Voice is in white pants in Bonja's "Memphis" shot and then look here...
memphis.jpg

Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:16 am

This would be, without doubt, my all time favourite Elvis concert! IMO, this is the last time Presley looked/ sounded good! The live outting of Fairytale surpassed the master. The July tour, the Vegas fiasco, the hospitalisation and the god awful looking photo's of Presley during the last moments of the summer of '75, in my opinion, marked the beginning of the end!

Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Does that mean that the colour photos inside the import CD from Memphis -75 is from an another show too?

Regards Björn

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:05 pm

dreambear wrote:Does that mean that the colour photos inside the import CD from Memphis -75 is from an another show too?

If memory serves correctly, the cover shot is from Mobile and rest are from Huntsville May 31st.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:
dreambear wrote:Does that mean that the colour photos inside the import CD from Memphis -75 is from an another show too?

If memory serves correctly, the cover shot is from Mobile and rest are from Huntsville May 31st.

Huntsville seems correct. Unsure about Mobile.

//Björn

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:27 pm

dreambear wrote:Huntsville seems correct. Unsure about Mobile.

Looks like the band is in red...so Mobile it is.
letmecov.jpg
letmecov2.jpg

Hmm...looks like color shots from Memphis are more elusive than I thought! :)

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:19 am

Scott Hayward wrote:With all due respect to Bonja, I don't think he has been able to date but a fraction of his own pics correctly.

Do you mean to imply that the last concert where Bonja did photos was in Mobile? Or that Ed covered both shows, and mixed up the dates?

RCsun wrote:uh oh, we may have an upset victory in the works!

One imagines Ed Bonja will lose not a whit of sleep over his error, as noted on an internet forum. Or do you know him? Is Bonja some kind of insecure idiot?

Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:13 am

wow! this IS interesting if those 'famous' shots Were taken in Mobile Alabama on 2nd June 1975!! :roll:

Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scott Hayward wrote:With all due respect to Bonja, I don't think he has been able to date but a fraction of his own pics correctly.

Do you mean to imply that the last concert where Bonja did photos was in Mobile? Or that Ed covered both shows, and mixed up the dates?

Probably the latter; he has been notorious about not getting his dates right.
YDKM wrote: this IS interesting if those 'famous' shots Were taken in Mobile Alabama on 2nd June 1975!!

I thought that was common knowledge by now... :)

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am

Scott Hayward wrote:I thought that was common knowledge by now... :)

I thought it was common knowledge, too!

Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:46 pm

EIther way that shot used for the FEPBMT cover is one of THE great Elvis images of all time. It was the last time Elvis looked good, summer of '75.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 pm

:)

oops
Last edited by RCsun on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

RCsun wrote:uh oh, we may have an upset victory in the works!

One imagines Ed Bonja will lose not a whit of sleep over his error, as noted on an internet forum. Or do you know him? Is Bonja some kind of insecure idiot?

Nah, I don't "know" him per say. I've had my time with him, I'll put it that way, & I don't mean at a table at a convention. He's not insecure about things like this, but if you tell a story the same way for many years to you it becomes fact. Kinda the "I was there, you weren't, I know where these are from, I took them" despite the proof that disputes it. That's probably more the disposition I'd expect if he was approached about it.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:32 pm

EIther way that shot used for the FEPBMT cover is one of THE great Elvis images of all time. It was the last time Elvis looked good, summer of '75.

He did look well, but the image on the cover of FEPB did have a lot of work done to it to make it look as good as it did.

The unedited version is far less flattering, as seen in the book that came with the 70's masters.

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:42 pm

DarrylMac wrote:The unedited version is far less flattering, as seen in the book that came with the 70's masters.

Seen also in this thread...but to get back on track, we can perhaps conclude that color pictures from Memphis 75 would be among the rare Elvis concert shots! :shock:

Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Scott, based on your observations about the tape on the mic cord, could these be three?

memphis 75-1.jpg

memphis 75-2.jpg

memphis 75 - 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.