Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: In Los Angeles sometime in late 1970

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:10 pm

bripet56 wrote:Anybody know when Elvis got that necklace??
First time I can find it on photos is from December 21, 1970 when Elvis visited Nixon and then he wore it through the spring of 1971.

Too bad we can't see which rings he wore as they would be another significant clue.

The Ford Pinto billboard would probably be up there for a lenghty period and I can't see why the light would exclude December.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

He got that necklace after he returned from LA in Dec, iirc it was made by Mike McGregor.
So I think the photo is from early 1971.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:21 pm

E-Cat wrote:
First time I can find it on photos is from December 21, 1970 when Elvis visited Nixon and then he wore it through the spring of 1971.

Too bad we can't see which rings he wore as they would be another significant clue.

The Ford Pinto billboard would probably be up there for a lenghty period and I can't see why the light would exclude December.

Sincerely
Brian

He got that necklace after he returned from LA in Dec, iirc it was made by Mike McGregor.

Thanks E-Cat. Exactly my thought.
It doesn't show up on G.K or Dick Grob's weddings but from Dec 21 at least he wore it intensely.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 pm

bripet56 wrote:... I can't see why the light would exclude December.

No one said December was excluded, but the reason to wonder is simple: Elvis was not usually a "day" person.

He awoke in the afternoon, and nightfall comes a LOT earlier in December, at least it does in California.

E-Cat wrote:So I think the photo is from early 1971.

The problem is that Elvis' face did not look like that in early 1971, nor did his hair.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 pm

bripet56 wrote:Thanks E-Cat. Exactly my thought.
It doesn't show up on G.K or Dick Grob's weddings but from Dec 21 at least he wore it intensely.

Sincerely
Brian

You're welcome Brian.
Since the photo was traded early 71, it could well be from early January.

btw : Anyone knows what happened to Elaine's younger sister, Nancy...?
They lived just south of Manhattan Beach....(at the time we lived close to Newport Beach)

Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:23 pm

Ah, the Jack In The Box...always interesting characters in there

I had no idea that so many board members here hang at at the same dives and drives.

Amoeba Records was carrying the FTDs for quite some time, but I have not seen any there in months. I always thought it was rather cool to have them selling the 6363 Sunset CD with the building right across the street.

As for the Jack In The Box, walking in there before 8 a.m. (as I often do) can be a scary experience.

Keep buying them records! :smt006

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:16 am

I've eaten at Jack In The Box in Waikiki Beach, back in the Summer of '95, and I've been paying for it ever since. :smt078 No Man, I am only kidding :lol:

Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:48 am

bripet56 wrote:
E-Cat wrote:

Sincerely
Brian

Thanks E-Cat. Exactly my thought.

Sincerely
Brian

To quote Elaine guys; "Cheryl traded these pix with my Mom in early 1971 and she only wrote on the back "At R.C.A. late 1970". I guessed at the time
that they were probably from Nov 70 but that was a guess based on other pix we had and on Elvis' whereabouts at the time. They are most likely from Nov or Dec of 1970". Doc suggest mid-October for reasons already stated, which make sense, but when a someone close to the action says late 1970...I tend to defer. So that's what I'm doing to do, change it to Nov/Dec, but not 1971. 8)

Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 am

Paul -- before you do, try to compare his sideburns to the know dates you have for Nov or Dec 1970. For example, the way they looked on stage in LA on Nov 14 is no match for the photos in question. Or, take a look at Elvis at Sonny West's wedding on Dec 28 -- his hair is much longer than our mysterious images.

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Paul -- before you do, try to compare his sideburns to the know dates you have for Nov or Dec 1970. For example, the way they looked on stage in LA on Nov 14 is no match for the photos in question. Or, take a look at Elvis at Sonny West's wedding on Dec 28 -- his hair is much longer than our mysterious images.

I already made the change Doc, but I did look at photos from Oct., Nov. & Dec. 1970 - it's a tough call...

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:33 am

It's perplexing!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:20 am

Further investigation seems to prove bripet56's hunch is on-target, and the dating from Elaine Christan, super-fan Virginia Coon's daughter, is incorrect.

I have updated my original post to include many more details on these candids.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:43 am

Excellent detective work, thank you very much to all :smt006
That's why i love so much this TEAM, i really learn something about Elvis every time i come here.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:48 am

Probably spring 1971 , for his hairstyle.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:03 am

SLY wrote:Probably spring 1971 , for his hairstyle.

Really?

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51660&p=739901#p739901

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Additional sleuthing finds these candids are not only from Los Angeles, but also date to spring 1971, probably late April - May 1971.

Sorry, Elaine Christan.

710500_1482 Cole_Los Angeles_01.JPG

710500_1482 Cole_Los Angeles_02.JPG

1482 Cole Place by Sunset_Los Angeles.jpg

A big clue is the billboard ad behind Elvis:

710500_Sunset Blvd billboard sign clue.jpg
Sunset Boulevard billboard (composite from Elvis candid)
Note tag: "Ford's wallet watchers"

Although the Pinto went on the market in September 1970, Ford did not begin pushing the low pricing of the Pinto $1919 and Maverick $2175 until March 1971,

And the Maverick was new for 1971:

LIFE Mar 26 1971 p19.jpg
LIFE, March 26, 1971

bripet56 noted the huge gold necklace Elvis has on was not seen before the famous December 21, 1970 White House visit, and was worn through the spring of 1971.

egilj on another topic keenly observed Elvis did not have sideburns that short in late 1970, the bill for the jacket he has on from the IC Costume Company was dated May 17, 1971 (source: Elvis Fashion: From Memphis to Vegas, page 172-173). and he spent a lot of time in LA in April, May and June 1971.

Thus, may I suggest the topic title be updated to:
Elvis in Los Angeles, circa May 1971

Thank you.

That's not totally true about Ford not pushing the Pinto until March of 71. I don't remember about the Maverick but I remember they started pushing the Pinto very hard in late August and September of 70. We were on a family vacation in August of 70 and I remember seeing Pinto billboards everywhere with the $1919 price.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:33 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Looks like the price of a new Pinto was $1919?

Yes.

What a slammin' deal!

KaPLOW!

phpBB [video]

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:08 am

eligain wrote:That's not totally true about Ford not pushing the Pinto until March of 71. I don't remember about the Maverick but I remember they started pushing the Pinto very hard in late August and September of 70. We were on a family vacation in August of 70 and I remember seeing Pinto billboards everywhere with the $1919 price.

There are apparently no print ads at this time, and pushing very hard would include all media. Or do you have something tangible to share?

Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:That's not totally true about Ford not pushing the Pinto until March of 71. I don't remember about the Maverick but I remember they started pushing the Pinto very hard in late August and September of 70. We were on a family vacation in August of 70 and I remember seeing Pinto billboards everywhere with the $1919 price.

There are apparently no print ads at this time, and pushing very hard would include all media. Or do you have something tangible to share?

Billboards almost every mile is pushing very hard and they always pushed new models very hard right before they came out. It made my Dad stop at a Ford dealer on our trip to see if they were in yet. There were also print ads in magazines for the car starting in the late summer of 1970 and of course TV commercials.

phpBB [video]

BTW, The Maverick wasn't new for 71. It came out mid year 1969. The 4 door model was new for 71.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:41 am

eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There are apparently no print ads at this time, and pushing very hard would include all media. Or do you have something tangible to share?

Billboards almost every mile is pushing very hard and they always pushed new models very hard right before they came out. It made my Dad stop at a Ford dealer on our trip to see if they were in yet. There were also print ads in magazines for the car starting in the late summer of 1970 and of course TV commercials.

Which magazines? I can't find any from that time period, especially one that would match the billboard in the Presley image.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There are apparently no print ads at this time, and pushing very hard would include all media. Or do you have something tangible to share?

Which magazines? I can't find any from that time period, especially one that would match the billboard in the Presley image.

I don't remember which specific magazines. I'm sure Motor Trend and Car and Driver because they were always in our house. But I remember seeing them is the late summer and early fall of 70 on the news stands.

Here are a couple I found online. BTW, I don't care if they match the billboards behind Elvis.

0b64879.jpg

5170f9uftEL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.