Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: unknown date, possible 1957 ?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:08 am

I sent the pix to Marty asking if he or Lamar recognize the car or the people. He believes the guy on the far right is Gene also.
I almost want to contact the seller and ask for a better scan of that section. It's worth 9.99 to resolves this but I've no interest in buying something like that for more.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:46 am

Another car, but the same clothes.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0

Mississippi

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:19 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:That's not a palm tree, that's just the shading

Shade from ..? I am still convinced these are those typical palmtrees
which you can find everywhere on Sunset, Santa Monica, Willshire blvd, this
is so typical for these areas.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks to E-Cat's shot, my assumptions are verified
Could this photo have been taken before or after one of these shows?
Or could the program have been sold at one of the Los Angeles movie premieres?

I think we need to verify when the JHR program was issued,

Do we agree that the photo was most likely taken in LA, sometime beteeen Sept / Oct and
more details are pending the issue date of the JHR brochure? What do you think ?

BTW: btw the other guy in the car obviously is Gene Smith.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:11 pm

E-Cat wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:That's not a palm tree, that's just the shading

Shade from ..? I am still convinced these are those typical palmtrees
which you can find everywhere on Sunset, Santa Monica, Willshire blvd, this
is so typical for these areas.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks to E-Cat's shot, my assumptions are verified
Could this photo have been taken before or after one of these shows?
Or could the program have been sold at one of the Los Angeles movie premieres?

I think we need to verify when the JHR program was issued,

Do we agree that the photo was most likely taken in LA, sometime beteeen Sept / Oct and
more details are pending the issue date of the JHR brochure? What do you think ?

BTW: btw the other guy in the car obviously is Gene Smith.

Not shade, shading in the photo. Just the darker tones that were picked up in the overexposed background. I can see what you think are palms in it but I don't believe they are. It just looks like more trees to me as on the same side of the street as the car.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Mississippi wrote:Another car, but the same clothes.

Mississippi

Is that GK we see next to Elvis?

Ref, Jailhouse Rock

single release Sept 24
movie premiere Oct 17 (Memphis)

I guess the flyers could have been pressed / distributed earlier to promote the single / movie release

Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:40 am

E-Cat wrote:Is that GK we see next to Elvis?

Ref, Jailhouse Rock

single release Sept 24
movie premiere Oct 17 (Memphis)

I guess the flyers could have been pressed / distributed earlier to promote the single / movie release

The color shot includes Klein in the front passenger seat.

I'm unsure if Elvis is wearing the same clothes as in the two black and white images.

The images I posted on page 1 are the front and back cover to Elvis' twelve-page tour program -- all photos on the inside, all taken in May 1957 for MGM's "Jailhouse Rock."

I do agree the black and white images are circa Sep 1957, perhaps Oct 1957.

In them I still maintain we see (L-R) D. J. Fontana, Gene Smith and Elvis.

Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Again another photo from the same time

Mississippi

Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:51 am

That one is neat, but does not look like circa Sep-Oct 1957.

Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:That one is neat, but does not look like circa Sep-Oct 1957.

I agree, as it looks like the same polo shirt Elvis was wearing in Cafe de Paris / Fox Studios end Sept' 56
and the same shirt as he wore during the Sullivan rehearsals Oct '56, so the photo is likely from this period.
But since he can be seen driving a car we can rule out NYC. So I think the photo was taken in Memphis or
(more likely in) Hollyood that period.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:33 am

E-Cat wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:That one is neat, but does not look like circa Sep-Oct 1957.

I agree, as it looks like the same polo shirt Elvis was wearing in Cafe de Paris / Fox Studios end Sept' 56
and the same shirt as he wore during the Sullivan rehearsals Oct '56, so the photo is likely from this period.
But since he can be seen driving a car we can rule out NYC. So I think the photo was taken in Memphis or
(more likely in) Hollyood that period.

Also, it appears we see Cliff Gleaves in the front next to EP, and Nick Adams in the back seat.

---

Anyone have any more info on the Sep-Oct 1957 photo/s in question?

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:48 am

Wish I could contribute to this discussion, because it's been very interesting. It is one reason why I love this forum.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:44 am

KHoots wrote:Wish I could contribute to this discussion, because it's been very interesting. It is one reason why I love this forum.

Sure you can -- tell us when were those shots taken?

Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 am

E-Cat wrote:
// I agree, as it looks like the same polo shirt Elvis was wearing in Cafe de Paris / Fox Studios end Sept' 56 and the same shirt as he wore during the Sullivan rehearsals Oct '56, so the photo is likely from this period.//

Sorry E-Cat, it’s not the same shirt, that Elvis was wearing in Cafe de Paris / Fox Studios end Sept' 56 and not the same shirt as he wore during the Sullivan rehearsals Oct '56. For instance, the collars are totally different.

Here is another picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-ELVIS-PRESLEY- ... 519095bfec

Mississippi

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KHoots wrote:Wish I could contribute to this discussion, because it's been very interesting. It is one reason why I love this forum.

Err.................. I think he means he can't contribute because he doesn't have that info....................

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:42 pm

MS: now we also have a second photo to compare, I agree that the collar seems to be a bit
different from the one he wore in the Sullivan rehearsals. However, it could be an alternate
version of the other polo's he wore often (and in different colors) that period. So, I still don't
think that these are from the same period as the first 2 car candids as posted.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:48 pm

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Err.................. I think he means he can't contribute because he doesn't have that info....................

Yeah, dating pics is better left for those who have a greater passion for it. My estimates are usually close, but someone always steps up and pins it down immediately, with a few exceptions--like this one!

Even the Gene/DJ thing had me leaning in closer to the computer to get a better look. Those two are usually easy to tell apart, but this one had me going back and forth.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:00 pm

KHoots wrote:
ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yeah, dating pics is better left for those who have a greater passion for it. My estimates are usually close, but someone always steps up and pins it down immediately, with a few exceptions--like this one!

Even the Gene/DJ thing had me leaning in closer to the computer to get a better look. Those two are usually easy to tell apart, but this one had me going back and forth.

The auction has gone up to $80+ bucks which is more than what I'd be interested in spending to help resolve that. Unless some one here is buying it and posts a better scan it will be tough to finally resolve.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:54 am

Hey guys, here's a couple more photos from the same time as the ones in my first photo below.
1958-05-bripet56.jpg

Elvis is seen driving what I believe is a Chrysler in these photos and since he's got very short sideburns in the first two below I take it that these were taken out in Hollywood while making King Creole. Who's the girl in the backseat??
1958-01-bripet56.jpg

1958-02-bripet56.jpg

Looks like Elvis' sideburns are longer in these next two so maybe these were taken when he first got out to Hollywood before he got his sideburns shortened.
1958-03-bripet56.jpg

1958-04-bripet56.jpg

The car is definitely the same and at least some of the guys are also the same in all photos. The text "Caution, Sound horn" in the colour photo could indicate he's driving out of the hotel's parking-garage.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 am

bripet56 wrote:
The car is definitely the same and at least some of the guys are also the same in all photos. The text "Caution, Sound horn" in the colour photo could indicate he's driving out of the hotel's parking-garage.

Sincerely
Brian

You mean the same car as in your other photos, not the original one that started this thread, right? Because, this one is black (looking) and the first was white (looking).

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:21 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
bripet56 wrote:

Sincerely
Brian

You mean the same car as in your other photos, not the original one that started this thread, right? Because, this one is black (looking) and the first was white (looking).

Yes James, I mean the same car in all the photos in my latest post, not the car in the photo that started this thread.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:54 am

Thanks Brian for these photo's,The small colour one's are new to me,and for sure look to be from Hollywood during the making of King Creole. A couple of these shot's of Elvis driving the car have in the past been put down as being located in 'New Orleans',but for the small amount of time Elvis spent there,with the crowds etc,this would be very unlikely.

The people in the car with Elvis would be Gene Smith,Alan Fortas and Red West and possibly Ken Moore. The other's I can't identify.

Other names, might come from the guests at Jan Shepards birthday party on the 22nd February 1958 which were in full :

Elvis,Alan Fortas,Gene Smith,Red West,Valerie Allen,Ty Hardlin,Judy Spreckles,Pat Richards(Edith Head's assistant),Dick London(Jan Shepards husband)Jan Shepard,Beebe Kline,Derek Deneut and Dolores Hart and maybe Ken Moore.

Cliff Gleaves travelled with Elvis and his party by train to New Orleans so was around at this time in Hollywood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4BpVg_2PYc

With Red West seen in the car with Elvis,Red recalls that he was on leave from the marine corps for one week(It must of been for two weeks),he went to Graceland,where he met Elvis' parents,he then flew to Hollywood,to join Elvis for the production of King Creole. Red can be seen in the film clip at Dolores Hart's home on the 22nd of February,in his Marine Corp uniform,I suggest he had only just arrived in Hollywood at that point,and as we know Red travelled with Elvis by train to New Orleans for the location shoot,(departed on the evening of friday the 27th,so that's already one week)

I would put the date down as between February 21st and February 27th 1958,Hollywood,

Red West and Elvis on location in New Orleans.

Davide

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:03 am

davide wrote:
580200_w Red West_candid in New Orleans.JPG

Red West and Elvis on location in New Orleans.

This one must be from the same get-together in late February - early March 1958.

580200_candid in New Orleans.JPG

Note that Elvis has moved to a different chair. You can still see just a bit of Red West on the left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 pm

I see that the tread is old, but i've been trying to figure out what car this is too. And i'm not sure Brian concluded right, i've looked at Fords Station Wagons after searching for the 1953 Ford Mainline Ranch Wagon and the Ford Wagon Yvonne Lime is pictured besides at Graceland. The one with Yvonne Lime is a 1957 Ford Country Sedan which Elvis had painted Pink and White after what i've heard. The '57 Ford has wrong doorframes, but could it be that he had a '55-'56 Ford Wagon, those matches more than the Chevy i think?