Post here your Elvis' pictures

Home Recordings

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:53 pm

There are some home recordings of Elvis at Eddie Fadals home
Is this picture of that day in may 1958
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Home Recordings

Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 am

IIRC it is from the same period, but not the date of the May 1958 home recording.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:01 am

Thanks drjohn,
Are there any pictures of that day ?

Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:02 am

IIRC the photo is from Anita Wood's birthday (see also the birthday cake)
Elvis sang The Tune Weavers "Happy, Happy Birthday Baby" on her birthday as can be heard on tape

I remember one time we went there and they had a birthday cake, I think it might've been my birthday,
it was in May and they sang a song and I got them to dance with me. You know he didn't like tap dance.
But, he was dancing with me and singing that song Happy Birthday Baby, Happy Happy Birthday Baby for
a long time.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:09 am

E-Cat wrote:IIRC the photo is from Anita Wood's birthday (see also the birthday cake) ...

It's not a birthday cake for Anita. It was a special cake made for Elvis by the Fadals. One can clearly see an "Elvis" on the top of the cake, and "Houn' Dawg" and "Love Me Tender" written on the side.

The pictures we know come from a photographer invited to the house with Elvis' permission.

The day of the pictures, Elvis with Anita Wood smiled at a surprise cake that had been made for Elvis as they stood by the dining room table.

Oberst, Rockin' Across Texas (FTD, 2005), p. 214

Anita was 19 when she met Elvis in the summer of 1957, but she was born in 1937, so her 20th birthday had to happen in the fall or winter.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:39 am

Anita may not remember exactly anymore if the birthday cake was for her or not, but she does clearly remember that the photo was taken in May and that Elvis sang "Happy Happy Birthday baby" to her for a long time that day..And we also know that this is the long version that was recorded on tape

I remember one time we went there and they had a birthday cake, I think it might've been my birthday, it was in May and they sang a song and I got them to dance with me. You know he didn't like tap dance. But, he was dancing with me and singing that song Happy Birthday Baby, Happy Happy Birthday Baby for a long time.

So if Anita states that the photo was taken at the day that Elvis sang Happy, Happy Birthday baby (as can be heard on tape) the photo is from the same day as the homerecording. And to confirm that the photo is indeed from May, I found out that the photo was published in the newspaper of May 22nd - described as a recent photo.

So know we have proof that the photo and homerecording took place on the same day in May '58. There is even footage of Elvis and Anita wearing the same clothing which is probably from the same day too. I also have a photo from the same day of Elvis and a little girl, who can be heard on the home recording..

drjohncarpenter wrote:[Anita was 19 when she met Elvis in the summer of 1957, but she was born in 1937, so her 20th birthday had to happen in the fall or winter.

Though not a crucial point it is a fair point - if accurate, However, if her birthday is in the fall or winter, it would not make any sense for her to say that the birthday cake might have been for her birthday (knowing that the photo with birthday cake is from May). And why would Elvis sing Happy Birthtday baby 8 times, if her Birthday is many months later ?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Two pictures from that day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 pm

:smt006

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:43 pm

Thx Claude for confirming the date

Here is the article from Miami News - May 22nd - as mentioned earlier.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:42 am

E-Cat wrote:... she does clearly remember that the photo was taken in May ... So if Anita states that the photo was taken at the day that Elvis sang Happy, Happy Birthday ...

She does? The interview I read with Anita has no reference to any photo.

Oberst's book, on the other hand, offer the photos on the same page as the quote. And describes how the cake was for Elvis. Again, this cake is clearly not a birthday cake, it's a surprise for Elvis, and decorated as such.

E-Cat wrote:... and that Elvis sang "Happy Happy Birthday baby" to her for a long time that day.

As for "Happy, Happy Birthday Baby," it's not sung to Anita at all. It's one of a series of singles that Eddie Fadal had in his collection. The Tune Weavers hit was played over and over on Fadal's brand-new hi-fi because Elvis was obsessed with singing along, doing the bass parts, and requested it repeatedly. Elvis and Anita's "special" song was sung that day, "(I Can't Help It) If I'm Still In Love With You."

E-Cat wrote:... I found out that the photo was published in the newspaper of May 22nd - described as a recent photo.

Cool. This places the photos as likely being taken in Waco on Saturday, May 17 or Sunday, May 18, 1958.

Were these taken the same day as the home tape? Maybe, maybe not.

---

Interestingly, Fadal almost lost his friendship with Elvis over the publication of that image. Elvis agreed to the pictures that day, so long as they stayed private. But Fadal's shutterbug pal sold an image to the press, and Eddie had to go to great lengths to prove to Presley that he did not approve of this act.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: The interview I read with Anita has no reference to any photo.

Elvis World Japan:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Besides, Anita's birthday did not fall in May.

This seems to conflict Anita's statement "remember one time we went there and they had a birthday cake, I think it might've been my birthday, it was in May" ..

drjohncarpenter wrote:
E-Cat wrote:... I found out that the photo was published in the newspaper of May 22nd - described as a recent photo.

Cool. This places the photos as likely being taken in Waco on Saturday, May 17 or Sunday, May 18, 1958.

The photo is most likely from May 17th - Elvis, Anita (Billy Norvell and girlfriend who left early) visited the Fadal family

Below a cropped photo from May 16th - note his injured finger:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Were these taken the same day as the home tape? Maybe, maybe not.

Further research learn that the photo with Anita was taken at the same day as the Fadal home video footage (see below).

And According to Fadal fam. - Elvis lost Home movies - part can be heard on audio tape

Below some photo's from the same day:

1. L: Anita and Elvis (note Elvis' injury on right pink) / R : with Janice and Dana Fadal

home video

2. Elvis and Anita wearing same clothing (note Elvis injury)
Biilly Norvell with Dana and Janice with Elvis (both in same clothing as b/w photo above)

3. Elvis on piano - in the last photo you can see Elvis injured finger

According to Fadal family "And this is Elvis playing on piano - and we've got that audiotape"

At least we now know for sure that the photo's and footage are from the same day ~ ca May 17th !

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 am

That was a pretty busy day at the Fadal house! A professional photographer, color home movies, even a reel-to-reel rolling to capture Elvis jamming to Eddie's record collection.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:34 pm

E-Cat wrote:At least we now know for sure that the photo's and footage are from the same day ~ ca May 17th !

Great detective work! :)

Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:01 am

Thanks, Javier!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:39 am

javierTCB wrote:
E-Cat wrote:At least we now know for sure that the photo's and footage are from the same day ~ ca May 17th !

Great detective work! :)

You're welcome Javier - since the press wasn't allowed to visit Elvis the first 8 weeks after he arrived in Ft Hood (until basic training period had ended) this is probably the most forgotten period in Elvis carreer. This makes the Army days fascinating!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:46 am

E-Cat wrote:You're welcome Javier - since the press wasn't allowed to visit Elvis the first 8 weeks after he arrived in Ft Hood (until basic training period had ended) this is probably the most forgotten period in Elvis carreer. This makes the Army days fascinating!

This also explains one reason why Elvis was so angry at Eddie for the publication of that photo. He was not supposed to appear in the press.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:27 am

True - and he probably did not appreciate the (press) rumors that they had become engaged either.

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you all

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:57 am

February 11, 1960 with full sergeant's stripes?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:22 am

hilton22000 wrote:February 11, 1960 with full sergeant's stripes?

No Hilton, this is from Bad Nauheim Thursday January 21 1960 - the day after he was
promoted to Acting Sgt. He would leave for Grafenwhör after the weekend.

Edited: Thursday not Friday
Last edited by E-Cat on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:05 pm

E-Cat wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

The photo is most likely from May 17th - Elvis, Anita (Billy Norvell and girlfriend who left early) visited the Fadal family

Below a cropped photo from May 16th - note his injured finger:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Were these taken the same day as the home tape? Maybe, maybe not.

Further research learn that the photo with Anita was taken at the same day as the Fadal home video footage (see below).

And According to Fadal fam. - Elvis lost Home movies - part can be heard on audio tape

Below some photo's from the same day:

1. L: Anita and Elvis (note Elvis' injury on right pink) / R : with Janice and Dana Fadal

home video

Biilly Norvell with Dana and Janice with Elvis (both in same clothing as b/w photo above)

According to Fadal family "And this is Elvis playing on piano - and we've got that audiotape"

At least we now know for sure that the photo's and footage are from the same day ~ ca May 17th !

Some more info which confirms the footage was taped before May 22nd - most likely May 17th

I was on the phone with Anita recently (she runs a church in MS) and we also discussed
the photo's taken at Fadal's and the recording date.

First of all, her birthday is May 27th, so her earlier claim that the photo's may have been
taken around her birthday is correct. However, she also remembered that the photo of her
and Elvis as published in the press was taken at the same day (weekend) when Eddie taped
the footage (which was before her birthday).

Since the photo was published in the press on May 22nd, her statement is another confirmation
that the footage was taped indeed the weekend before May 22nd, most likely May 17th as noted earlier.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Somebody please remind me, and confirm or correct if possible - Did Janice Fadal marry Lamar????

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:52 am

E-Cat wrote:home video

Could someone please remind me where this video footage is featured? I don't remember seeing this.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:20 am

Good work here everyone. Nice to have some dates for the pics, recordings and movies.

chris j wrote:Somebody please remind me, and confirm or correct if possible - Did Janice Fadal marry Lamar????

Yes, she did. This was after Elvis died. The marriage didn't last long.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:42 am

niobeh wrote:
E-Cat wrote:home video

Could someone please remind me where this video footage is featured? I don't remember seeing this.

I think if you look on Youtube you will be able to find some