Post here your Elvis' pictures

Love Me Tender - Film Location!

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:51 pm

We all know the filming location for Love Me Tender was done at the 20th Century Fox Ranch (Malibu Creek State Park) located at 1925 Las Virgenes Road, Calabasas, in California, but has anyone (or knows anyone) been there (and taken photo's) and had a look around to see what it looks like today!? I would absolutely LOVE to see someone' recent photo's if there are any!

Re: Love Me Tender - Film Location!

Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:05 pm

We all know the filming location for Love Me Tender was done at the 20th Century Fox Ranch (Malibu Creek State Park) located at 1925 Las Virgenes Road, Calabasas, in California, but has anyone (or knows anyone) been there (and taken photo's) and had a look around to see what it looks like (Love Me Tender section) today!? I would absolutely LOVE to see someone' recent photo's if there are any!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:09 am

thefunkyangel wrote:We all know the filming location for Love Me Tender was done at the 20th Century Fox Ranch (Malibu Creek State Park) located at 1925 Las Virgenes Road, Calabasas, in California, but has anyone (or knows anyone) been there (and taken photo's) and had a look around to see what it looks like (Love Me Tender section) today!? I would absolutely LOVE to see someone' recent photo's if there are any!

Hey Funky,
I do not live very far from there, so I will make an effort this weekend to take some photos. This area is not too far from the Spinout bridge location that I photographed in the past.

Update: I may have to delay my Calabasas visit for another week, but I am going to be in Idyllwild this weekend to hunt for Kid Galahad locations.

More later...

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 am

mjsantafe wrote: Hey Funky, I do not live very far from there, so I will make an effort this weekend to take some photos. This area is not too far from the Spinout bridge location that I photographed in the past. Update: I may have to delay my Calabasas visit for another week, but I am going to be in Idyllwild this weekend to hunt for Kid Galahad locations. More later...

mjsantafe, I envy you very much! I thank you soooooo much for helping me out. Keep me posted. Have yourself a nice weekend and take care. Cheers!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:31 am

thefunkyangel wrote: mjsantafe, I envy you very much! I thank you soooooo much for helping me out. Keep me posted. Have yourself a nice weekend and take care. Cheers!

My pleasure sharing with you and the forum. If you have any other location details in Southern California, let me know and I will get there as time permits.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:42 am

mjsantafe wrote: My pleasure sharing with you and the forum. If you have any other location details in Southern California, let me know and I will get there as time permits.

:smt023 mjsantafe, thankyou ever so kindly!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Indeed! I also look forward to seeing anything you can post.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:08 pm

KHoots wrote:Indeed! I also look forward to seeing anything you can post.

Brother, I have a colour jpeg image of the building (doubled as the railway station in LMT) somewhere (on disc) downstairs in storage. I'll endeavour to locate it and upload for all to see. Have a nice weekend! Cheers!

Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:50 am

thefunkyangel wrote:We all know the filming location for Love Me Tender was done at the 20th Century Fox Ranch (Malibu Creek State Park) located
at 1925 Las Virgenes Road, Calabasas, in California, but has anyone (or knows anyone) been there (and taken photo's) and
had a look around to see what it looks like (Love Me Tender section) today!? I would absolutely LOVE to see someone' recent photo's
if there are any!

Here is a start:

Movie set was built at (what now is) the parking lot. The set no longer exists.
They also filmed along Graig Rd (road from parking lot to Century Lake).
note: the former movie location of M.A.S.H is 1 mile past Century Lake

Below an areal view of the main movie set (parking lot) and the rd. to Century Lake.

To give a better understanding of the main movie location I have drawn 3 arrows (L, M, R)

Left arrow:

Middle arrow:

mountain view from Camping Ground

Right arrow - grasslands view

note the grassland in the background:

Other views from the area

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:01 am

E-Cat, these are frickin' awesome. You have no idea how pleased I am to see these. You and mjsantafe are the best! Cheers!

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:21 am

Glad you liked it Funkman.
I think the shooting part was filmed near Rock Pool but I am not sure.
I haven't seen the movie for ages.
Perhaps mjsantafe can provide more interesting information :wink:

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:33 am

E-Cat wrote:Glad you liked it Funkman. I think the shooting part was filmed near Rock Pool but I am not sure. I haven't seen the movie for ages. Perhaps mjsantafe can provide more interesting information :wink:

:smt023 E-Cat you are awesome!

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 pm

KHoots wrote:Indeed! I also look forward to seeing anything you can post.

thefunkyangel wrote:Brother, I have a colour jpeg image of the building (doubled as the railway station in LMT) somewhere (on disc) downstairs in storage. I'll endeavour to locate it and upload for all to see. Have a nice weekend! Cheers!

This photo was emailed to me years ago! Hope there is a Love Me Tender/ 20th Century Fox ranch, reference to it! Cheers!

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Cool pic, funky! Thanks. And E-Cat, WOW, that was awesome! Thanks for the pics and information.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:32 pm

Great job E-Cat! I can't imagine that I can add anything more, but I will go out there next weekend for a visit.

Funky, is the original file of your train station photo any larger? I would love to know what that sign says in front. All that I can make out is the bottom word "Station".

Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:06 pm

FASCINATING stuff E Cat, thank you.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:30 am

mjsantafe wrote: Funky, is the original file of your train station photo any larger? I would love to know what that sign says in front. All that I can make out is the bottom word "Station".

mjsantafe, unfortunately it is the same size. Cheers :smt023

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:39 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Brother, I have a colour jpeg image of the building (doubled as the railway station in LMT) somewhere (on disc) downstairs in storage. I'll endeavour to locate it and upload for all to see. Have a nice weekend! Cheers!

This photo was emailed to me years ago! Hope there is a Love Me Tender/ 20th Century Fox ranch, reference to it! Cheers!

Here ya go Funky..it's Saugus Station / Santa Clarita Valley

Elvis Presley stayed at the Circle J Ranch

The "Pilgrim" with Charlie Chaplin 1923 was also shot at this very station:

Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:47 am

E-Cat, thankyou for clearing up a 10 year debate whether or not my photo was from the 20th Century Fox ranch. I tell you, I love film locations and how they look today! Thank you for your uploads! Cheers :smt023

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:28 am

Another great post E-cat!
Being a Chaplin fan, I was looking for a comparison of Funky's image to see if my memory was correct. One additional note, that train station building was moved from the original location to where it stands today.

There is a wonderful website for Chaplin Then and Now locations:

http://jerre.com/TandN/

Click on The Pilgrim in the left menu to see maps of where the train station building was and where it was moved to.

Original train station location: San Fernando Rd. & Drayton St.
Saugus, California

Moved to: San Fernando Rd. & Railroad Ave.
Newhall, California
Last edited by mjsantafe on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:33 am

Fantastic thread i love movie locations and what they look like today.
fecc definitely rocks the house.
Thank you all so much

Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:25 am

mjsantafe, I too, have been down that road (ie. Chaplin - Then and Now sites)! Thankyou, for the update, mate! pjdlibra, fecc most definately rocks the house! Cheers! Happy Hunting! Wish I was there!