Elvis Jaycees January 16th 1971

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Elvis Jaycees January 16th 1971

Post by davide »

U.S. JAYCEES 33rd TEN OUTSTANDING YOUNG MEN,Memphis Tennesse,January 16th 1971.
Holiday Inn-Rivermount
200 West Georgia Avenue,Memphis
Elvis stayed in a suite at the Holiday Inn,although he still arrived late that morning, for the Jaycee prayer breakfast held at the Holiday Inn-Rivermount. Harold Sterling the host, waited for Elvis to arrive who apparently was held up due to a lost cufflink.
Harold Sterling : "I was just not ready for someone that theatrical,he had all these diamonds on,and his hair was long.Charlie Hodge was drinking and laughing,Red and his wife were there.Priscilla had long jet black hair.He was a taskmaster,people jumped,he had ideas on what he wanted and the impression he wanted to give,but he was a benevolent tyrant,he was so good,but he was demanding too".
'His entrance into the dining room was electric,filling the most staid businessmen and society wives with teenage enthusiasm,they all stopped their conversations to watch him enter the room.Just as he and Priscilla sat down,photographers rushed to their table,graciously,Elvis allowed a couple of quick pictures,then he asked the newsmen to leave.*
Photo by Dave Darnell for The Commercial Appeal. Holiday Inn, Rivermount, Memphis,Elvis is being introduced with Priscilla beside him at the US Jaycee prayer breakfast. William N. Morris,former sheriff of Shelby County is applauding to Elvis' right,and just behind Elvis is Charlie Hodge.On the table adjacent are Red West seen to the right of Priscilla,and to her left Sonny West can be seen. (Above Red West's head)is Sandy Schilling and Jerry Schilling to her left.Maybe Vernon Presley is lower right?
Marty Lacker ; He(Elvis) told me to handle everything.He said "find out where I go and where all the entrance's are" He was just going to fly in the night before from Vegas. He said " I don't want to stay at Graceland,I'd rather be somewhere close to the auditorium",so I arranged for him to have the whole top floor of the Rivermount Hotel,"I'd like to do something for the other honorees"**

Image>
William N. Morris (lower left),Marty lacker (left)Charlie Hodge,and Red West slightly obscured,with Sonny West stood right of frame. Elvis and Priscilla sat at the table talking to unknown.

A private question and answer session followed the breakfast,again without the press.The Press-Scimitar reported from sources at the press conference that Elvis spoke about religion and how its importance to his life,but in the organized sense that he called on God many times for strength,and that "God is a living presence in all of us"
" Yes I don't go along with music advocating drugs and desecration of the flag.I think an entertainer is for entertaining and to make people happy"
The future President George Bush was a speaker, as the United Nations ambassador(filling in for Vice President Agnew) Also in attendance was Marion Keisker in full uniform and Elvis introduced her to Priscilla as "The lady I told you so much about" and then said " You know she's the one who made it all possible,without her I wouldn't even be hear".(Jerry Schilling tells the same story about Marion Keisker,with a reference that Elvis spoke the same words to his wife and himself)

Elvis shakes hands with the then,Texas Congressman,and United Nations ambassador George Bush. Sonny West right of frame.Mr Bush stated "You Memphis politicians had better watch out if Elvis Presley ever decides to enter politics.

ImageImage

Elvis departs the Holiday Inn-Rivermount,200 West Georgia Avenue,Memphis.

THE TEN OUTSTANDING YOUNG MEN 1970

Paul W Burcha was a Medal Of Honor winner.For the full info look here http://www.army.mil/MEDALOFHONOR/citations25.html

James B. Goetz was a radio broadcaster and Minnesota Republican politician. He served as the 38th Lieutenant Governor of Minnesota from January 2, 1967 to January 4, 1971.

Mario Renato Capecchi is an Italian-born American molecular geneticist and a co-winner of the 2007 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.[1] He is currently Distinguished Professor of Human Genetics and Biology at the University of Utah School of Medicine.

ImageImage
Ron Ziegler with Richard Nixon.(left)Ron Ziegler was Richard Nixon's White House Press Secretary .

Thomas Atkins was the first Black Boston City councilman.

Wendell Cherry ttp://www.nytimes.com/1991/07/18/obituaries/wendell-cherry-is-dead-at-55-hospital-leader.html

Elvis Presley was an American singer and actor. A cultural icon, he is commonly known simply as Elvis and is also sometimes referred to as The King of Rock 'n' Roll or The King!
George Todaro Info and photo here http://www.toconline.com/html/files/Archives/Todaro.pdf
(I have not been able to source photos/info for the other Young men at this stage)

1. Atkins, Thomas I., 31 - Municipal Affairs (1970)
2. Bucha, Paul W., 27 - Military Service (1970)
3. Capecchi, Mario R., 32 - Biological Research (1970)
4. Cherry, Harry W., 35 - Business (1970)
5. Coll, Edward T., 30 - Voluntary Service (1970)
6. Goetz, James B., 34 - State Affairs (1970)
7. Humann, Walter J., 33 - Business (1970)
8. Presley, Elvis A., 35 - Entertainment (1970)
9. Todaro, Dr. George, 33 - Medicine (1970)
10.Ziegler, Ronald L., 31 - National Affairs (1970)

In the afternoon,at 5.00pm Elvis hosted a cocktail reception at Graceland for the honorees and members of the Jaycees.
Marty Lacker : We had Graceland done real sharp,and we decided that one of the guys would meet each honoree at the door with his wife and take them on a personal tour.
Dinner was then arranged and hosted by Elvis at the Four Flames Restaurant.Bouquets of fresh flowers and candelabras,with place cards signed by Elvis with the tcb logo were present on each table.Music was provided by a violinist,and dinner was served by white gloved waiters.
Marty Lacker : Elvis was real happy except one thing,In the middle of the dinner,the side door opened and in walked 'Al Capp' the cartoonist,well nobody had invited him,and the Sheriff's deputy at the door said 'I'm sorry sir-this is a private party,you can't come in" Capp said in a loud voice "I'm part of the ceremony,and I should be there,It turned out that Capp was going to be one of the speakers at the awards,but we didn't know that,and Capp was drunk,and he started yelling,in a raspy,obnoxious voice "I don't know why I wasn't invited,I'm Al Capp". Finally one of the big-shot Jaycees told him he was going to have to leave.Capp yelled all the way out the door,and he didn't even go to the ceremony.Elvis said "Who gives a sh*t?" but it hurt him and it put a damper on his evening.**
The Four Flames Restaurant was at 1085 Popular Avenue,Memphis,and is now the Child Advocacy center.

(Left to right upper) Marty Lacker,Sonny West(at table,lower)Vernon Presley with back to camera,to his left Dee Presley,Priscilla and Elvis stood with Charlie Hodge on the right of Elvis.with Sherrif Bill Morris clapping sat next to Elvis.
(Picture Below) Priscilla,Elvis and Sherrif Bill Morris,wearing his TCB.
Frank Taylor,Memphis organiser for the Jaycees convention : " It was almost like the weekend was away from reality,he(Elvis)had never been exposed to the professional part of life.It was a new world for him,for once he shared the spotlight with others"*

Elvis and Ron Ziegler
Ron Ziegler : I think he (Elvis) was very pleased to receive the award,and it was an honor to him,and he so indicated,he was expressing a little discomfort of how he was going to react and to relate to the other people who were there,so we talked about that a little bit. It appeared to me at that time that he wanted to reach out and talk to someone different to that what he could find in his entourage. I didn't get the impression that he was limited or dull witted,I found him to be somewhat articulate and poised individual,I did sense however an individual who was withdrawn and an individual who was somewhat shy. I think all of us were moved by Elvis.He was a natural nice man,I liked him.***

Taken from film footage

Ellis Auditorium

Priscilla and Elvis arrive for the evening awards around 8.00pm
Priscilla " He stayed up writing on this little sketch pad,and he would show me what he had written and ask me what I thought.He was so nervous about making that speech.He was going to be in front of millionaires,and he wanted to be explicit and intelligent to them,so he would read it to me and I was amazed. I couldn't believe that this came out of him,he shocked me with the eloquence of his speech.I would have thought he took it from something- I wouldn't have put it past him to do that,clever as he was,but I witnessed it.I mean it was just beautiful".

Full version of speech http://www.keithflynn.com/video/jayceesawardspeech.wmv

"When I was a child,ladies and Gentlemen,I was a dreamer.I read comic books,and I was the hero of the comic book . I saw movies , and I was the hero in the movie. So every dream that I ever dreamed has come true a hundred times . These gentlemen over here,these type people who care,are dedicated. You realize if it's not possible that they might be building the kingdom, it's not far-fetched from reality. I'd like to say that I learned very early in life that :
Without a song the day would never end
Without a song a man ain't got a friend
Without a song the road would never bend
Without a song..So I keep singing a song.
Goodnight. Thank you

Thomas Atkins with Elvis

Image*
Elvis and Priscilla

The music was written by Vincent Youmans, the lyrics by Billy Rose and Edward Eliscu. The song was published in 1929.
The complete lyrics to "Without A Song" which part of the Jaycees speech was based on.

Without a song, the day would never end.
Without a song the road would never bend.
When things go wrong, a man ain't got a friend
Without a song.

That field of corn would never see a plow.
That field of corn would be deserted now.
A man is born, but he's no good no-how
Without a song.

I got my troubles and woe,
but sure as I know that Jordan will roll
I'll get along as long as a song is strong in my soul

I'll never know what makes the rain to fall
I'll never know what makes the grass so tall
I only know there ain't no love at all
Without a song

Elvis may have heard the song from Roy Hamilton's 1955 recording or maybe the Perry Como version the original being on January 11, 1951 and the second time in June, 1970 at a live performance at the International Hotel, Las Vegas, Nevada.

I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with 1970's Elvis - so go easy on me if there are mistakes!
Davide

The colour images of Elvis leaving the Holiday Inn are screen grabs from film footage.
*Memphis Elvis-Style By Cindy Hazen, Mike Freeman
**Elvis and the Memphis Mafia by Alanna Nash
***Cut me and I bleed documentary

Elvis and the Ellis Auditorium http://www.scottymoore.net/ellis.html
http://www.memphismemories.org/Topics/Buildings/Civic_Structures/Ellis_Auditorium/EllisAud.php
> Thanks to Terry for this much improved in quality and uncropped also.
Last edited by davide on Fri May 28, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Re: Elvis Jaycees January 16th 1971

Post by elvisjock »

Even as early as 1971, we see Elvis' appearance change dramatically from one day to the next. He really does not look well in the photos where he wears the lion necklace. One of these unflattering shots was used to make the authors' point in "Elvis: What Happened?"

He looks much better in the other sequences, but still, a far cry from the picture of health he radiated in Vegas the previous summer.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Excellent post David...as always

-instagram kenh1964

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by rickeap »

great post and photos, thanks

CHRISTIAN M
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by CHRISTIAN M »

i m fan of your topics Davide
great work anytime
christian M

BUY TOP PRICE , AND TRADE ALL UNEDITED OR RARE ELVIS FOOTAGE SEND ME PM !!!

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by debtd1 »

Great post, thanks

Deb

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Davide, if all your posts were compiled and printed on high quality glossy paper, it'd be the greatest Elvis book of all time!

Another superb post. Boy, poor Elvis sure did pile on the pounds between august 70 and jan 71. Quite alarming really. Very sad.

The fool

Post by The fool »

Another fine post. Thank you, davide!

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Outstanding yet again Davide. You really should write an Elvis history book.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Davide, if all your posts were compiled and printed on high quality glossy paper, it'd be the greatest Elvis book of all time!

Another superb post. Boy, poor Elvis sure did pile on the pounds between august 70 and jan 71. Quite alarming really. Very sad.
I think we have to take in account that he was off for a couple of months since his Nov 17th 1970 performance, plus the holidays and such, thus a 10lb. weight gain wouldn't have been out of the question. He was normal like most of us, he had to fight to keep his weight off! Thanks again davide!

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

More great work, David. Here is a pic of the Holiday Inn-Rivermont (not Rivermount), which I took in 2006...

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

Thank you for uploading the photo, Chief! Always good to see what I had missed whilst I was over there! There is a lot of history in there. I wonder if they embrace it! Cheers!

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

elvisjock wrote:Even as early as 1971, we see Elvis' appearance change dramatically from one day to the next.
He really does not look well in the photos where he wears the lion necklace.
All I see is him with his hair combed too neatly.
Elvis JC.JPG
He always looked better with the tousled effect...........
Elvis JC [2].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by DEH »

It is a shame people have to nitpick about his appearance. He had been out of the spotlight since November. Wasn't the guy allowed to relax and not have to look perfect?

Besides it might not have been pounds. If you look good one day and so-so the next day it's not likely a weight problem.

javierTCB
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by javierTCB »

Congratulations davide :D
More shots from that day!

PS: check the second pic: Elvis without his glasses
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'
For these are changing days
And if your head is in the sand
While things are goin' on
What you need is a Change of Habit"

javierTCB
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by javierTCB »

...and more!

"If you're in old habits
Set in your old ways
Changes are a-comin'
For these are changing days
And if your head is in the sand
While things are goin' on
What you need is a Change of Habit"

The fool

Post by The fool »

Softbound 70 page awards ceremony publication announcing the 'Ten Outstanding Young Men' for the year 1970. Held in Memphis, Tennessee on January 16, 1971, this book honors the recipients, one of whom is Elvis Presley. A short biography and photo of Elvis are included as well as those of the other men.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1552021

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Cool pics, thanks Davide.

Yeah, he's not quite at fighting weight, but it's not like Elvis was fat in '71! Certainly some weight gain is noticeable, but he's hardly a porker here.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

He isn’t overweight as such but he has a bloated look in the earlier pictures. This would suggest that his appearance had more to with the medication he was taking rather than it simply being a case of him enjoying life and putting on a few pounds when he wasn’t performing.

He had a similar look in some of the “Elvis On Tour” footage. Not overweight but he didn’t look healthy.

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Thanks for all the kind comments and contributions. Interesting to see that 'The Commercial Appeal' used a photo of Elvis leaving the Holiday Inn that day for their August 17th 1977 edition.

Davide

debtd1
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by debtd1 »

That makes a change from CBS footage

"No-one, but no-one, is his equal, or ever will be. He was, and is supreme". Mick Jagger

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

londonflash wrote:Cool pics, thanks Davide.

Yeah, he's not quite at fighting weight, but it's not like Elvis was fat in '71! Certainly some weight gain is noticeable, but he's hardly a porker here.
He isn't overweight here, it is in his face. Much like what one sees with the EOT footage - due his unnecessary intake of Demerol.

davide, thanks for posting these shots. An interesting thread.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

midnightx wrote:He isn't overweight here, it is in his face. Much like what one sees with the EOT footage - due his unnecessary intake of Demerol.
Not sure if the cause was Demerol; his face went swollen the month before when he ate a whole box of chocolates en route to Washington and his rendezvous with President Nixon. But the puffiness is indeed relegated to his face. By the time he hit Vegas at the end of the month, following rigorous rehearsals at RCA Hollywood, he was back to looking pretty good again. It was a weird way to live.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Jadwin
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Jadwin »

Davide wrote:

Taken from film footage

A couple of seconds of this footage can be seen in the video "See How Rockin' Royalty Rolls..." ,
at http://videos.elvis.com/Default.aspx.

Jadwin

ed40
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by ed40 »

Davide,

Thank you very much for this fantastic post !!

Ed