Post here your Elvis' pictures

Did Elvis Smoke Cigarettes? More 50's photos

Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:57 am

I was wondering if anyone knows if Elvis smoked cigarettes? In one of these pix, it looks like he is smoking.
Also, the photo of him with the pompadour hairdo...does anyone know when it was taken?
I love the picture of Elvis with his parents, must have been taken during his Tupelo concert. The first photo...I believe was a promotional ad for RCA back in 1956.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Did Elvis Smoke Cigarettes? More 50's photos

Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:10 am

bluejeans1944 wrote:..the photo of him with the pompadour hairdo...does anyone know when it was taken?
Memphis Skating Rink - March / April 1960

bluejeans1944 wrote:The first photo...I believe was a promotional ad for RCA back in 1956.
It was for the Hungerford (furniture) Commercial.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:34 am

The first photo was for a local furniture store I thought in Memphis. there were several others from that set also I seem to recall. The third one is from a set with Dewey Phillips, Charles Underwood and his wife/girlfriend. The last is Tupelo Sept. 26, 1956 when they presented him with the key to the city.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:25 pm

and one more

Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:06 pm

... and there's that piece of film with Dewey in a
gorilla suit with Elvis puffing a joint that was
being passed around... Naughty boy.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:48 am

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:... and there's that piece of film with Dewey in a

Tut tut, what would his mother say??

Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:49 am

Ben wrote:

Save a bit for me !

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:00 am

ColinB wrote:
Ben wrote:
Save a bit for me !

I don't smoke that stuff and neither should you, it's bad for your health........................

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Ben wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Ben wrote:
Save a bit for me !

I don't smoke that stuff and neither should you, it's bad for your health........................

Stuff? don't believe i ever heard that before,anyway here's one i found of him puffin' in the studio i had not seen before.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:39 pm

That last one looks like a cigar to me, not a cigarette. We knew he smokes cigars sometimes, didn't we?

Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Monique wrote:That last one looks like a cigar to me, not a cigarette. We knew he smokes cigars sometimes, didn't we?

Yes, that is either a cigar or a cigarillo. There are various pics of him in the late 60s and into parts of 1970 with him smoking these.

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:02 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:and one more

It doesn't look like the cigarette is lit on this one.

Elvis' smoking habits were mainly in cigars. Huge difference from cigarettes because you do not inhale cigar smoke down to your lungs. You bring it into your mouth and then blow it out. Cigrattes, you inhale and drag deeply into you lungs and then exhale out again. You don't do that with cigars....

Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Monique wrote:That last one looks like a cigar to me, not a cigarette. We knew he smokes cigars sometimes, didn't we?

Yes, that is either a cigar or a cigarillo. There are various pics of him in the late 60s and into parts of 1970 with him smoking these.

All we can hope is that he aleady finished with the vocals... :)

Regards Björn

Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:41 pm

IMETJB wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:and one more

It doesn't look like the cigarette is lit on this one.

Elvis' smoking habits were mainly in cigars. Huge difference from cigarettes because you do not inhale cigar smoke down to your lungs. You bring it into your mouth and then blow it out. Cigrattes, you inhale and drag deeply into you lungs and then exhale out again. You don't do that with cigars....

Right. Actually none of the photos from that group I or bluejeans1944 posted show him with a lit cigarette.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:12 am

This photo comes from (the bass player) Bob Moore's sons website R.Stevie Moore at http://www.rsteviemoore.com . It has been posted as
Elvis62studio. If that is the case(1962) and if it has a direct connection to his father , then Bob Moore only worked with Elvis in Nashville, how about - RCA studio B March 18/19 1962?

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:39 am

davide wrote:Image

This photo comes from (the bass player) Bob Moore's sons website R.Stevie Moore at http://www.rsteviemoore.com . It has been posted as
Elvis62studio. If that is the case(1962) and if it has a direct connection to his father , then Bob Moore only worked with Elvis in Nashville, how about - RCA studio B March 18/19 1962?

That's not Nashville. Stevie probably has the date wrong if Bob was at that session.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:21 am

Ah little stevie moore. His cute little voice is heard duetting with Jim Reeves on "But You Love Me Daddy"!

Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 am

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:... and there's that piece of film with Dewey in a gorilla suit with Elvis puffing a joint that was being passed around... Naughty boy.

Elvis was not "puffing a joint" at Sam Phillips' home on Easter Sunday 1957.

One might think someone -- like the guy who made the film, Chuck Staley -- would have said something by now. Or perhaps Sam's kids -- who were there -- might have recounted such an experience sometime in the past 52 years.

BTW, the fellow in the ape mask was named Harry Fitzius, no relation to Dewey Phillips. He worked with Staley at WMCT-TV in Memphis.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 am

Doc, how do you know they weren't puffing a joint!? Like I mean, so what if they were :smt033

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:00 am

indeed amazing John, a book hasn't been written
in the last 52 years, on Elvis puffing/sucking
a joint at Sam's house... Question remains: did
he inhale?! I have trustworthy information Knox,
Sam's son, saved the remaining piece of the
joint and had it framed. It's proudly on display
in his office.
Wish you could be here John. I'd love to treat you to
a showing of the full 12 minutes of this 'party'
film footage. Andrew Solt made me a vhs copy,
back in the 80s, while visiting him and Malcolm Leo
in their Hollywood office. Nice guys. They liked me
a lot.

Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:41 am

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:indeed amazing John, a book hasn't been written
in the last 52 years, on Elvis puffing/sucking
a joint at Sam's house... Question remains: did
he inhale?! I have trustworthy information Knox,
Sam's son, saved the remaining piece of the
joint and had it framed. It's proudly on display
in his office.
Wish you could be here John. I'd love to treat you to
a showing of the full 12 minutes of this 'party'
film footage. Andrew Solt made me a vhs copy,
back in the 80s, while visiting him and Malcolm Leo
in their Hollywood office. Nice guys. They liked me
a lot.
Agreed Tallhair, it looks very much like a joint to me in the footage i have seen

Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:37 pm

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:indeed amazing John, a book hasn't been written in the last 52 years, on Elvis puffing/sucking a joint at Sam's house...

Yes, on a piece of film millions saw in 1981 as part of "This Is Elvis" that NOT ONE reviewer ever commented upon as "Elvis smoking a joint."

Guess what?

The man who filmed this footage -- a man whose name you did not know -- is a member of this forum.

Let's ask him, shall we? PM has been sent.

Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:23 am

Here's what took place that night at Sam Phillips' house. Elvis was late arriving and was very apologetic about being late. As we stood by the pool table he quietly told me that he had a boil on his waist and his belt rubbed on it and it hurt like hell, so he had stopped by the doctor's to get some pain pills. He said the Cigarillo helped take the pain off his mind.

I asked if he minded if I shoot some film footage and he said it was fine with him, just let him know when he could see it.

When the others in the room saw the cigarillo, they all wanted to puff on it. Especially my wife Joan and Elvis' date, Yvonne Lime.

Harry, in the ape mask, also took a puff. Harry actually worked at WHBQ and it was the first time I'd seen him since I got laid off and went to WMCT. Elvis told Harry that Joan and I were moving to California. Joan was going first to get a job, then I would follow. Harry asked if he could ride out with me and help drive and he did. He also had a wreck, but that's a different story.

I hung out with Sam Phillips, Elvis, Charles Underwood, Cash, Orbinson, Perkins, Pittman and all of those guys from time to time. They were all on Dance Party, Dewey's radio show, and at Sun Records. We all drank like hell. Jack Daniels. But never did I smell, hear of or try a joint until almost 10 years later. If there had been grass, we would ALL have been into it.

But maybe not Elvis. He wasn't a "bad boy" like all the rest of us. I'm not sure that I ever saw him take a drink and I certainly never saw him drunk. His momma would not like that!

For those who haven't seen the Dance Party pictures or the Elvis interview, you can catch up here:

http://chuckstaleygallery.com/contactus.aspx

Sorry for the plug.

Hope this helped, drjohncarpenter...

Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:13 am

Great story, Mr. Staley, thank you very much. Maibe one day you'll make a DVD with your footages and stories...

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:44 am

How many minutes of 16mm movie do you have? I would love to see it. Any news on the dvd yet?