Post here your Elvis' pictures

On Stage '71 or '72- Rare?

Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:28 am

hi,
While going through some of my older scrapbooks etc. I came across this picture in an article/ review of the Aloha LP. I don't recall seeing it elsewhere. I've left the original photo credit visible.
Any ideas?
Anyone else seen this one?

The wrinkles in the scan are from being pasted onto a scrapbook page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: On Stage '71 or '72- Rare?

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:00 am

Pretty risque caption for back then! Neat find!

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:05 am

Yes it sure is Jamie, the text for the review of "Aloha" is along the same style. This is possible from "Rolling Stone" or "Creem", not really sure though.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:07 am

The pic is from the 1971 tour. Off the top of my head I would say Boston. Lichter put it one of his books.
Last edited by Mike Eder on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:02 am

I have not seen this picture from Boston before (Nov 10 - 71), so thx for sharing! Makes you wonder how many great pictures are still unreleased....
Below a bit more info about the photographer: Jeffrey Albertson

Boston Globe: 18 Sept 2008

ALBERTSON, J. Jeffrey Professional photographer and publisher whose work spanned four decades and included a number of musicians, died recently at his home in Fort Lee, NJ. Born on Sept. 13, 1948 to Frank and Marion Albertson, Jeff attended Reading, Mass. High School, McGill University and Boston University. It was while he was at BU that the Boston Globe hired him as a photographer. After graduation, in the 1970s, Jeff became a fixture in the Boston media world, serving as photo editor of the Boston Phoenix, co-owner and associate publisher of the Real Paper and Boston-based stringer for Rolling Stone, People Magazine and Boston Magazine. His subjects included John Lennon, Mohammed Ali, Elvis Presley Bruce Springsteen, Abbie Hoffman and Fay Dunaway. He also shot a number of album covers, including those of Boston and the Cars' platinum-award-winning "Candy-O." In the 1980s, he moved to New York City, where he met his wife Charlene Laino and became photo editor and then vice president of the Medical Tribune News Group, whose many outlets included the New York Times Syndicated Medical Tribune News Service. In the 1990s, Jeff was among the first to realize the potential of using the Internet as an outlet for news and helped to launch several Internet sites dedicated to health coverage. He is represented by the Corbis Agency, whose Web site displays many of his photos. Intelligent, with quick wit and a magnificent sense of humor, Jeff lived life on his own terms and will be sorely missed. He is survived by his wife, Charlene Laino, of Fort Lee, NJ; his sister and brother-in-law Kris and Alan Stata, of Clovis, New Mexico; his father-in-law & mother-in-law, Charles and Eileen Laino & a multitude of friends

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:48 am

The Jeff Albertson photo is definitely from Boston and was first published in Creem Magazine in the March 1972 issue. It was made available, along with five others, to accompany a six page review of the concert by Stu Werbin. I have long believed that these six photos constitute one of the best photographic records of Elvis on stage in the seventies. As evidenced in the other Boston thread currently running it was another of Albertson’s Creem photos that was used for the cover of the ‘One Night Only’ cd. Other excellent uncredited Boston photos have appeared over the years and also likely by Albertson.

It would be a fine thing to have access to the full set of photos he took on that evening.

(By the way, the version of the photo posted above is not from Creem but soem other source. That is, the Creem version does not include the 'satellite' caption.)

Dottore

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:53 pm

From http://www.elvisconcerts.com :mrgreen: (I dont recall who sent me this, but thank you !)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:56 pm

Part 2

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:14 am

GREAT topic!

Thank you, Greybeard, and thanks to Dottore and E-Cat for the information and Francesc for posting the article. I have always wanted to read this.

In March 1972, Elvis was still cool with the kids.