Post here your Elvis' pictures

Grand Ole Opry 1957 (updated)

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:24 pm

So here we are at the end of 1957.

Elvis picks up his draft notice on December the 20th and is pictured at Graceland.The christmas tree is in the background and It looks to be dark outside.The poodle,I think belonged to Gladys Presley and was named 'Duke' after John Wayne.

ImageImage

Later that evening ,Friday 20th December 1957, Elvis drove a rented truck for the 200 mile trip from Memphis to Nashville, with Cliff Cleaves and Lamar Fike , Billy Smith,following in the Lincoln.
Saturday 21st December 1957,1215 Gallatin Road South Madison,Tennessee 37115
Elvis give's the Colonel Parker his christmas Present,a BMW red Isetta sports car.
"It is snug" observed Colonel Parker.

The nashville press were on hand to gets Elvis's thoughts on Military service. Elvis tried on some military clothes provided by a photographer - George Barker , from 'The Tennessean'
"The uncomfortable feel of GI tweeds draws a grimace from Elvis Presley as he tries on, just for fun, a set of fatigues given to him by a photographer as a Christmas present. Presley came to Nashville to distribute some presents of his own. Photo taken 12/21/1957.
"I guess I'll be wearing this stuff for real,soon" Elvis remarked to reporters.

Gordon Stoker came over to the Colonel's area of Madison to pick up the Jordanaires' Christmas bonus's,amounting to four thousand dollars. Apparently Elvis asked if Gordon was going to the Grand ole opry that night,"If I had some kind of clothes,I'd go with you guys" and Elvis then picked up a Tuxedo outfit from Mallernee's outfitters in Nashville,which Gordon arranged.

Elvis and his group then made their way to the Grand Ole Opry where he didn't perform on stage that saturday evening,but did hang around backstage and meets lots of old friends.

Date 21st December 1957.
Time: 8.30pm - 9.00pm
Network: NBC radio
Sponsers:Prince Albert Grand
The 950th Grand Ole Opry Christmas show

Line up
Marty Robbins "Jingle Bells"
Rod Brasfield
Brenda Lee "Christy Christmas"
Prince Albert Tobacco commercial
Marty Robbins "Blue Christmas"
Chet Atkins medley "Joy to the world" "Hark the herald angels sing" "Deck The Halls".
Minnie Pearl
Prince Albert Tobacco commercial
Brenda Lee "White Christmas"
Del Wood "Here Comes Santa Claus"
Marty Robbins "Silent Night"

All Photos (most likely) taken by Elmer Williams

1.Image

The Wilburn Brothers , Teddy Wilburn, Elvis, Doyle Wilburn

2.Image
Nashville booking Agent Hubert Long , Elvis , Colonel Parker, Faron Young

3.Image
Ferlin Huskey, Elvis, Faron Young, Hawkshaw Hawkins,Tom Perryman.

4.Image
Whitey Ford (Duke of Paducah), Elvis, Colonel Parker
These images all look to be in the same place backstage, with the 'Premium Nabisco' promotional materials in the background to the right,and the large sign (ending in xty) behind,which can also be seen below.

5.Image
Gorden Terry, Elvis, Ray Price.

6.Elvis and Hank Snow.
Hank Snow introduced Elvis on October 2, 1954 when he appeared on Hank's portion of the Grand Ole Opry. Colonel Tom Parker was Hank Snow's manager and the two were partners in Hank Snow Enterprises and Jamboree Attractions.Elvis briefly sang Hank's "I'm Gonna Bid My Blues Goodbye' on the MDQ session, and 'I'm Movin On' in 1969.

7.Image
Jimmy Rodgers Snow,(Hank's Snow son), who was also an entertainer, was with Elvis and other performers in 1955 on Jamboree tours. Jimmy came backstage to say hello.
Elvis invited Jimmy to visit him at Graceland, which Jimmy did flying to Memphis on New Year's Day 1958.

8.Image
Dressing room of some kind. Hugh Jarrett, tenor Gordon Stoker, Elvis, second tenor Neal Matthews and baritone Hoyt Hawkins. Colonel Parker is sat to left of this image

9.Image
Johnny Cash and Elvis , which looks to be taken just after the photo above as Hugh Jarrett dosn't seemed to have moved and can be seen to the right of this photo.

10.Image
Same dressing room, Colonel Parker, Elvis, Jimmy Rodgers Snow, Unknown.

11.Brenda Lee aged 13 and Elvis .
From Brenda Lee's website it states "Brenda's first Grand Old Opry Performance was in December 1957 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee. She met Elvis Presley for the first time. One of Brenda's fondest memories is of appearing on the show with Elvis."
This must be a reference to meeting Elvis backstage.It has been mentioned that Elvis said hello to the audience on this night,but with the script being tight for time,maybe that was done in the commercial break?
Lamar Fike describes it "He stood backstage for a while,and then he walked out front and somebody introduced him to the audience.But that was it"

Brenda Lee describes the meeting -

I was back in Nashville for my debut performance at the Grand Ole Opry. Elvis Presley was visiting backstage, and the two of us danced together in the wings..

You can bet the cold December air in Nashville's Ryman Auditorium was thick with anticipation that night. Elvis was the hottest thing in the entertainment world and ruled the charts with such smouldering hits as "All Shook Up," "Hound Dog" and "Teddy Bear." I don't care how many other people were there - I swear to you that I was the most excited person in that hall. I looked my best in a crisp gingham dress, a pair of scuffed slip-on flats and a starched white pinafore, but I only had eyes for the King of Rock 'n' Roll. WhenI looked up at him, I grinned from ear to ear.

Elvis had just received his draft notice and was in Nashville to see his manager, Col. Parker. I sang "Bill Bailey, Won't you Please Come Home" for my Opry Debut. But I remember Elvis more vividly than my performance. When he danced with me backstage, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. His hair was dyed jet black, he was wearing dramatic - looking mascara, and when he smiled that curled-lip smile, I thought he was the sexiest thing I'd ever seen.

The record label, of course, took full advantage of the meeting. My Decca boss Paul Cohen called journalist Charlie lamb on the spot, begging for coverage.

Charlie Lamb :

"Paul sputtered to me, 'I've got to have a photographer down here right now!'

"Well, my official photographer was Elmer Williams, who worked for an undertaking company. So I called him. "I'm running real tight tonight,' the photographer apologized, 'I don't know if I can make it. I guess I can come by, but I'll have to just run in and out. I've got a body in the hearse.'

'Do what you've gotta do,' I pleaded.So Elmer dutifully showed up at the Ryman to snap Brenda with the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

"The next morning I called and said, 'how did you do?' He said, 'The pictures turned out great: the guy died.' and that's the famous picture of Brenda with Elvis.

From the book -'Little Miss Dynamite by Brenda Lee'

Faron Young and Elvis

13.Image
Faron Young, Mrs Faron Young, Elvis.
Faron Young among other connections wrote "Is it so Strange",He told it like this : "I'm gonna write you a song","Great "said Elvis," I tried to sing it on the demo tape like that Ink Spot he loved so much,and I played it for him. "Hey thats good,who wrote that?" 'I did you little f......I wrote it for you" Elvis said"Give me a copy of that" Elvis first sang it at the MDQ session ,where he remarked"He won't give me any of it"(publishing)on december 4th 1956 ,and finally recording in January 1957.

Jimmy Snow ,Elvis,and Jimmy Snow's fifteen year old fiancee,with Stoney Cooper laughing in the background.
15.Image
Tom Perryman ,Elvis , Senator T. Cutre' , Ray Price and Ott Devine.

15aImage

Gordon Stoker states:'He threw his new tux into a barrel full of stage ropes before setting off on the trip back to Memphis',which is slightly conflicting,when Elvis is pictured later the same evening wearing the same clothes.

Elvis, Colonel Parker, Lamar fike, Cliff Greaves and Billy Smith then make their way to the Governor's Mansion
16.Image
With a christmas tree behind this image,Governor of Tennessee- Frank G. Clement ,Elvis and Colonel Parker.
The Same room,with the Christmas tree.The Governor's Son's Frank G Clement,Bob Clement,Billy Smith,Elvis,young girl unknown, James Gary Clement
Billy Smith on the evening "We went to that party at the Governor's house later on,and I got tired and the Governor's wife told me to go on in the bedroom and go to sleep.She told Elvis "Just to leave him here,I'll put him on the bus tomorrow",and Elvis said "No,I will wake him when we are ready to go",but I never did go to sleep,I was afraid I might miss something"
18.Image
Elvis enjoying the moment at Governor G. Clements Mansion. Lamar Fike can be seen sat to Elvis's right.

Lamar Fike "Afterwoods (Opry visit) we went over to the governor's mansion to see Governor Frank Clement.We stayed up there until one o'clock in the morning playing the piano"
The Marigolds,(evolved from The Prison Aires),with lead singer Johnny Bragg, performed for Elvis at Governor Frank G.Clement's mansion. They sang Jailhouse Rock for Elvis,and he was impressed with their harmonies, and wanted to record with them, but apparently Colonel Parker did not consider this a good career move. Elvis joined them for a rendition of "Just Walkin' In The Rain",a song Elvis did not record.http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8DOdqOkYjtA
Elvis and his party returned back to Memphis in the early hours of Sunday 22nd of December 1957.

Governor Clement was killed on 4 November 1969 in a car accident in Nashville.

19.Image
20.Image
These two candid photo's above look to be in the same timeframe as the three images below

21.Image

22.Image

23.Image
Cliff Gleaves having a smoke , and Elvis Christmas 1957.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for info, and any suggestions on the 'unknowns' would be great.
with
thanks
Davide

P.S.
Anyone with some time on their hands might want to look at this:
The Frank G. Clement artifacts are
presently in storage at the Tennessee State Museum.
http://www.tennessee.gov/tsla/history/m ... 94-007.pdf

*Box 65
Photographs, drawings, etc.

10. Presley, Elvis
Last edited by davide on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Re: Grand Ole Oprey 1957

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:34 pm

wonderful thank you very much David

Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:44 pm

davide wrote:1.ImageImage
The Wilson Brothers

The Wilburn brothers, not Wilson
Otherwise, cool! you've had some nice compilations, always nice to credit the sources when you can though

Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:20 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
davide wrote:1.ImageImage
The Wilson Brothers

The Wilburn brothers, not Wilson
Otherwise, cool! you've had some nice compilations, always nice to credit the sources when you can though

Thanks james, I'll work on the credits as soon as possible

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Great post, like always. Thank you very much ::rocks

One notification: Elvis and The Colonel visited the Governor Frank Clement before Grand Ole Opry.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:52 am

Great post! You might want to edit your title -- it's the "Grand Ole Opry."

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:11 am

Great job! Loved to read it. This is the first time I noticed the pants he's wearing in the first 3 pictures; looks like leather to me.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Great work !

Hank Snow introduced Elvis on October 2, 1954 when he appeared on Hank's portion of the Grand Ole Opry. Colonel Tom Parker was Hank Snow's manager and the two were partners in Hank Snow Enterprises and Jamboree Attractions.Elvis briefly sang Hank's "I'm Gonna Bid My Blues Goodbye' on the MDQ session,and 'I'm Movin On' in 1969.

Elvis also did "A fool such as I" which was a Hank Snow-hit

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:41 am

Monique wrote:Great job! Loved to read it. This is the first time I noticed the pants he's wearing in the first 3 pictures; looks like leather to me.

imitatie.....of leather look :smt002

marcel

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:56 am

hisby wrote:
Monique wrote:Great job! Loved to read it. This is the first time I noticed the pants he's wearing in the first 3 pictures; looks like leather to me.

imitatie.....of leather look :smt002

marcel

Thanks. I just never noticed it before.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:30 am

what a great post.! Thanks for putting that up, a great representation of a few moments in time!

Re: Grand Ole Opry 1957

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:32 pm

I have updated this post with some new photographs and some better quality and more info - and are as follows:
picture
1. improved ident
2. Increase in size/quality(slight crop on rof)
3. Increase in size/quality
4. Improved ident
5. Improved ident
6. Increase in size/quality
7.8.9. no change
10. Increase in size/quality(cropped)
11. no change
12. Increase in quality
13. Increase in size/full frame/quality
14. New addition*
15. New addition*
16. Full frame/less cropped
17. Increase in size(slight crop rof)
18. added since first post
19-23 no change.

thanks Davide

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Great post! You might want to edit your title -- it's the "Grand Ole Opry."

Yes. Disgraceful!!! Ruins the whole post!!! Must try harder, Davide!! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Great stuff there Davide!!
Good to see all the Opry photos together like this.
Once again,I thank you for all the work you do!!

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:40 am

TONY wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Great post! You might want to edit your title -- it's the "Grand Ole Opry."

Yes. Disgraceful!!! Ruins the whole post!!! Must try harder, Davide!! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

David strives for accuracy, and both solicits and appreciates my input.

Too bad the only thing you contribute is witless sarcasm, two years after the fact.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:15 am

David, this is without the ebay text

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:24 am

thank you for your awesome history on that day in time. Wow!!!!

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:48 am

I thought I would post an update :

Brenda Lee describes the meeting -

I was back in Nashville for my debut performance at the Grand Ole Opry. Elvis Presley was visiting backstage, and the two of us danced together in the wings..

You can bet the cold December air in Nashville's Ryman Auditorium was thick with anticipation that night. Elvis was the hottest thing in the entertainment world and ruled the charts with such smouldering hits as "All Shook Up," "Hound Dog" and "Teddy Bear." I don't care how many other people were there - I swear to you that I was the most excited person in that hall. I looked my best in a crisp gingham dress, a pair of scuffed slip-on flats and a starched white pinafore, but I only had eyes for the King of Rock 'n' Roll. WhenI looked up at him, I grinned from ear to ear.

Elvis had just received his draft notice and was in Nashville to see his manager, Col. Parker. I sang "Bill Bailey, Won't you Please Come Home" for my Opry Debut. But I remember Elvis more vividly than my performance. When he danced with me backstage, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. His hair was dyed jet black, he was wearing dramatic - looking mascara, and when he smiled that curled-lip smile, I thought he was the sexiest thing I'd ever seen.

The record label, of course, took full advantage of the meeting. My Decca boss Paul Cohen called journalist Charlie lamb on the spot, begging for coverage.

Charlie Lamb :

"Paul sputtered to me, 'I've got to have a photographer down here right now!'

"Well, my official photographer was Elmer Williams, who worked for an undertaking company. So I called him. "I'm running real tight tonight,' the photographer apologized, 'I don't know if I can make it. I guess I can come by, but I'll have to just run in and out. I've got a body in the hearse.'

'Do what you've gotta do,' I pleaded.So Elmer dutifully showed up at the Ryman to snap Brenda with the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

"The next morning I called and said, 'how did you do?' He said, 'The pictures turned out great: the guy died.' and that's the famous picture of Brenda with Elvis.

From the book -'Little Miss Dynamite by Brenda Lee'

Davide

Re: Grand Ole Opry 1957 (updated)

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:40 am

Jimmy Snow ,Elvis,and Jimmy Snow's fifteen year old fiancee,with Stoney Cooper laughing in the background.

Great post, Davide. FYI, re: this photograph: the girl, Jimmy's fiance, is actually Stoney and Wilma Lee Cooper's daughter, Carol Lee Cooper, who has been the leader of the Opry staff background singing group since 1973.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 am

:smt041
Amazing thread. Thank you davide!!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:38 am

srlogicom wrote:Jimmy Snow ,Elvis,and Jimmy Snow's fifteen year old fiancee,with Stoney Cooper laughing in the background.

Great post, Davide. FYI, re: this photograph: the girl, Jimmy's fiance, is actually Stoney and Wilma Lee Cooper's daughter, Carol Lee Cooper, who has been the leader of the Opry staff background singing group since 1973.

snapshot20090329170048.jpg

Correct. She and Jimmie Rodgers Snow got married in 1958, had two daughters, and filed for divorce in August 1972, 14 years later. Both of her parents, Stoney and Wilma Lee Cooper, are seen in the background, and were Opry regulars. She fondly recalled Presley's visit in a 2009 book.

090701_Carol Lee Cooper quote_Genuine Elvis.JPG
Ronnie McDowell, Edie Hand, Joe Meador, The Genuine Elvis: Photos and Untold Stories About the King (Louisiana: Pelican Publishing, July 1, 2009)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:57 am

Excelent topic, so much information and photos - great work, congratulation to all contributors.

From an old post of Brian Petersen: "Taken early in the morning of December 21, 1957 by Memphis Press Scimitar photographer Bill Leaptrott.
Elvis had received his draft notice on December 20th. Sometime after midnight he came back to Graceland after having had a night on the town with his buddies and fans and reporters had gathered at the gate.
Elvis is holding his draft notice in his hand.
Elvis wears the same clothes as when he drove to Nashville on December 21 to visit Colonel Parker and hand over his Christmas present, a BMW Isetta 300, to Parker.
"

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:05 pm

If after the Saturday trip to Nashville, wouldn't that photo be from early Sunday morning, December 22, 1957?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TONY wrote:

David strives for accuracy, and both solicits and appreciates my input.

Too bad the only thing you contribute is witless sarcasm, two years after the fact.

As opposed to your witless put-downs?! :wink:

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:If after the Saturday trip to Nashville, wouldn't that photo be from early Sunday morning, December 22, 1957?

No Doc, the photo shows Elvis early in the morning prior to leaving for Nashville on December 21 where he wore the same clothes when he presented the Colonel with the BMW Isetta 300.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk