tahoe - SUMMER 71 - any pics out there ??????

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Z0S0
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

tahoe - SUMMER 71 - any pics out there ??????

Post by Z0S0 »

finally got the new tahoe book (worlds best kept secret......)
its a pretty decent book, the later engagements are covered very well but i was stunned though
not really surprised at the LACK of 71 pics, was hoping for MORE though, many more!

theres literally 2 on stage pics !!!!!!!! :o

is there really so few in existence ????????????

Bonja himself mentions in the intro that he didnt even bother to UNPACK his cameras in tahoe
but even so, ?

so, anyone have any decent rare pics they'd like to post here -
thanks !
Last edited by Z0S0 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

"There was a reason they nicknamed him the King of Rock + Roll, !!!
THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:
swaggering, daring, Proud yet humble, beaten yet never truly down,
MAGNIFICENT when victorious and always unforgettable! "

( Q magazine review 'Artist Of The Century' Dec 1999 )

Ben

Re: tahoe - SUMMER 71 - any pics out there ??????

Post by Ben »

Their really are so few pictures from 1971 that we know of. Some recently discovered (by the 'public') pictures from July/August 1971 can be seen Here, they are usually dated 1st August 1971 Midnight Show but, because of the Canadian fan on this very site Barbie (Barb. D), who attended this show and confirms that Elvis wore a light Blue Two Piece suit (probably the same one seen Here) during that show and not the Cobweb Suit.

There is also a picture of Elvis in the Concha suit with him wearing a Gorilla mask that is sometimes dated as the 26th July 1971 Midnight Show but is also sometimes dated as being from January/February 1971 in Las Vegas.

Here is the picture:

Un-cropped:

mjsantafe
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by mjsantafe »

ben wrote:Their really are so few pictures from 1971 that we know of. Some recently discovered (by the 'public') pictures from July/August 1971 can be seen Here, they are usually dated 1st August 1971 Midnight Show but, because of the Canadian fan on this very site Barbie (Barb. D), who attended this show and confirms that Elvis wore a light Blue Two Piece suit (probably the same one seen Here) during that show and not the Cobweb Suit.

There is also a picture of Elvis in the Concha suit with him wearing a Gorilla mask that is sometimes dated as the 26th July 1971 Midnight Show but is also sometimes dated as being from January/February 1971 in Las Vegas.

Here is the picture:

Un-cropped:
For the record, it was more of a caveman mask than an gorilla. Elvis put this on during the opening of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling while the spot light was only on the back of his head. At the 1971 Dinner Show in Tahoe that I attended, Elvis' voice cracked in laughter as he turned around. Sadly, I did not take any photos, but I do have a very poor quality cassette recording of about 1/3 of the show.

Ben

Post by Ben »

mjsantafe wrote:For the record, it was more of a caveman mask than an gorilla. Elvis put this on during the opening of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling while the spot light was only on the back of his head. At the 1971 Dinner Show in Tahoe that I attended, Elvis' voice cracked in laughter as he turned around. Sadly, I did not take any photos, but I do have a very poor quality cassette recording of about 1/3 of the show.
WOW, how I wish I saw Elvis in 1971 (well, anytime really), what was the date of the show you attended?? And do you recall the suit he wore??

mjsantafe
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by mjsantafe »

ben wrote:WOW, how I wish I saw Elvis in 1971 (well, anytime really), what was the date of the show you attended?? And do you recall the suit he wore??
At the age of 11, I was not clever enough to note the date of that show or the dinner show that I attended in Las Vegas the summer before. In Tahoe, I believe Elvis was wearing a suit similar to what is seen on the All Things Are Possible bootleg. Based on a very distant memory.

Ben

Post by Ben »

mjsantafe wrote:
ben wrote:WOW, how I wish I saw Elvis in 1971 (well, anytime really), what was the date of the show you attended?? And do you recall the suit he wore??
At the age of 11, I was not clever enough to note the date of that show or the dinner show that I attended in Las Vegas the summer before. In Tahoe, I believe Elvis was wearing a suit similar to what is seen on the All Things Are Possible bootleg. Based on a very distant memory.
Thank you. So Elvis wore one of the Cisco Kid suits during the show, most probably the Red one as we know it was worn during the season and here is a picture of Elvis wearing it and also the "Caveman" Mask can be seen:

bethann
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by bethann »

I seemed to have read somewhere that the hotel in Tahoe had a very strict policy (and enforced it) about taking pictures which might explain why there are so few of him at ANY engagement in Tahoe. The only pictures that I have come across (and a scant few) have been professional pictures taken by someone with the hotel or Ed Bonja.

"More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
University of Memphis

Jumpsuit Junkie

Post by Jumpsuit Junkie »

bethann wrote:I seemed to have read somewhere that the hotel in Tahoe had a very strict policy (and enforced it) about taking pictures which might explain why there are so few of him at ANY engagement in Tahoe. The only pictures that I have come across (and a scant few) have been professional pictures taken by someone with the hotel or Ed Bonja.
Thats what ive always heard aswell. Really wish more would show up, but I'm not holding by breathe. Me, personally I would like some soundboards and great audience recordings from ANY of the Tahoe Engagements....Elvis usually always performed verywell there...

Topic author
Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

bethann wrote:I seemed to have read somewhere that the hotel in Tahoe had a very strict policy (and enforced it) about taking pictures which might explain why there are so few of him at ANY engagement in Tahoe. The only pictures that I have come across (and a scant few) have been professional pictures taken by someone with the hotel or Ed Bonja.

sorry but that doesnt really hold water as the hilton in vegas had the same policy(s)
also - the book has tons off pics from every other engagement - 74 & 76 are very well covered!

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:

Jumpsuit Junkie

Z0S0 wrote:

sorry but that doesnt really hold water as the hilton in vegas had the same policy(s)
also - the book has tons off pics from every other engagement - 74 & 76 are very well covered!
Very cool news, as I'm waiting on that book to get here. I know I'm behind on it a little bit, but can't wait to see the pictures etc in it. 8)

Ben

Post by Ben »

Z0S0 wrote:

sorry but that doesn't really hold water as the Hilton in Vegas had the same policy(s)
The first one....The Sahara Tahoe was much more strict with photographs being taken in their showroom than the International (as it was called then) was.

The second one...It might be that the fans that were attending the shows in later years got 'wise' as to how to make recordings and take pictures in the showroom than they had at first and thats the reason why more pictures are available from other engagements. The same is with Vegas: their are more pictures from the last season in Vegas than probably during the first 3 seasons in the International all together.

Topic author
Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

BEN - the MASK pic IS actually in the book, as is the familiar one of him climbing the steps !

cant believe theres not people on this board who have futher pics though :?

i think its fair to say he wore the cisco's or at least one of them, and didnt he wear the NOW suit ?
i find it hard to believe he wore any of the suits from feb 70 though ????

maybe it was a more casual fan in tahoe - though im sure shaver would have been there at least!

Ben

Post by Ben »

Z0S0 wrote:BEN - the MASK pic IS actually in the book, as is the familiar one of him climbing the steps !
Great :D I am awaiting the arrival of the Tahoe book for Christmas so keep quiet about it :wink: :lol:
cant believe theres not people on this board who have further pics though :?
Its not that people aren't sharing them its that they don't exist in the first place :cry: :cry:
i think its fair to say he wore the Cisco's or at least one of them, and didn't he wear the NOW suit ?
i find it hard to believe he wore any of the suits from Feb 70 though ????
We know he wore at least 3 of the Cisco Kid Suits in Tahoe but I donm't think all the ones he wore in Vegas in August/September 1971 had been delivered by that time and it isn't a stretch that he wore a suit from just over a year before, I mean, he wore the 1974 Arabian (AKA Ace Of Spades) suit over 2 years after he first wore it.
maybe it was a more casual fan in Tahoe - though I'm sure shaver would have been there at least!
IIRC Tahoe was more for the Hard core fans than the casual show attender.

Desert Storm
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Desert Storm »

...here some shots from July/August 1971 - Lake Tahoe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jumpsuit Junkie

Those pictures were taken by Madeline Winston, and they come from the collection of Elaine.

They are from the TKC forum posted by Jouni.

Don't think any specific dates have been confirmed for them though. Said they are maked with "7/71" on them....so who knows.. :?

Desert Storm
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by Desert Storm »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jumpsuit Junkie

Nice photo's.

Isn't that one on the bottom of Elvis wearing the White Brodquade Suit..thought that was only worn in '70. :?

Ben

Post by Ben »

Desert Storm wrote:Image
That picture is from 6th September 1970 Dinner Show. The rest are of Elvis in the Cobweb suit from July 1971 in Tahoe (see JJ's post),.

Topic author
Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

desert - MANY THANKS !!!!
thats exactly the kinda stuff im talking about !
why are they not in the book ????? :o

as i said, that one of him climbing the steps IS in the book !

did he really wear that 'Brodquade Suit' ? in 71 ????
is it 100% confirmed ??? :lol:
its actually one of my favs full stop but i didnt think he wore any of the FEB 70 suits after 70 ! ????

Jumpsuit Junkie

Z0S0 wrote:desert - MANY THANKS !!!!
thats exactly the kinda stuff im talking about !

did he really wear that 'Brodquade Suit' ? in 71 ????
its actually one of my favs full stop but i didnt think he wore any of the FEB 70 suits after 70 ! ????
I don't think he wore the White Brodquade suit in 71..as Ben already said that photo is from the September 6th Dinner show of 1970. But its possible he could've worn it in '71 as we don't have to much from that year when it comes to pictures.

Jumpsuit Junkie

ben wrote:
Desert Storm wrote:Image
That picture is from 6th September 1970 Dinner Show. The rest are of Elvis in the Cobweb suit from July 1971 in Tahoe (see JJ's post),.
Thank you Ben for that date.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Z0S0 wrote:desert - MANY THANKS !!!!
thats exactly the kinda stuff I'm talking about !

did he really wear that 'Broquade Suit' ? in 71 ????
its actually one of my favs full stop but i didn't think he wore any of the FEB 70 suits after 70 ! ????
Z0S0, I posted a link to them pictures in my first reply :wink:

I don't think they were in the book as they were only recently 'discovered' and only the 'Romeo' picture and another one from the show was available from the same set until about 3 month ago. I also thought all the pictures in the book were taken by Sue McClasland (I cant remember her exact name)??

He wore a few of the suits from Jan/Feb 1970 after that, obviously in Houston, the White Broquade suit on the date above (6th September 1970 DS) and the Concha suit in Tahoe 1971. Yes it in 100% from Tahoe :)
Last edited by Ben on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

Z0S0, I posted a link to them pictures in my first reply :wink:
it didnt work buddy - sorry !

there are pics in the book taken by other people than sue BTW

Jumpsuit Junkie

Ben so are you saying that photo of Elvis in the White Brodquade suit is indeed from 1971 ?

Ben

Post by Ben »

Z0S0 wrote:
Ben wrote:Z0S0, I posted a link to them pictures in my first reply :wink:
it didn't work buddy - sorry !
there are pics in the book taken by other people than sue BTW
Thats no problem mate and thanks for the info, I cant wait until 6AM on 25th December :lol:
Jumpsuit Junkie wrote:Ben so are you saying that photo of Elvis in the White Broquade suit is indeed from 1971 ?
Sorry if I didn't make that post clear (I have changed it). No, the picture above is from 6th September 1970 DS and thats the last time we know of him wearing it.