Post here your Elvis' pictures

Ivory Joe Hunter Says Hello -> July 1957 ?

Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:29 am

Did you know Elvis might have met singer/songwriter and hero Ivory Joe Hunter?

Ivory Joe on "You Asked For It" - DuMont Network TV, April 1951

Ivory Joe's daughter (possibly), Elvis, Ivory Joe Hunter - July 1957, Memphis, TN *

---

Ivory Joe Hunter enjoyed a #1 R&B, #12 Pop crossover hit in 1956 with his classic "Since I Met You Baby."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Since_I_Met_You_Baby_(song)

After running into comedian Brother Dave Gardner, who mentioned that Hunter was in town, Elvis invited both over to his new home, Graceland.

According to Hunter it was a very good visit, completely erasing the rumours he'd heard about Presley's racism..

He showed me every courtesy, and I think he's one of the greatest.

The feeling was mutual.

Elvis taped several Ivory Joe Hunter-based recordings -- or arrangements -- through the years:

Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind (1956)
I Need You So (1957)
My Wish Came True (1957), (1970) and (1977)
Ain't That Loving You Baby (1958)
I Will Be True (1959) and (1971)
I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen (1959) and (1971)
It's Still Here (1971)

Learn more about Hunter by clicking this link -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Joe_Hunter

* I'm not 100% sure this 1957 photo is Ivory Joe, but my intuition says yes -- can anyone confirm?
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Ivory Joe Hunter Says Hello -> April 1957 ?

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:12 am

How is that Ivory Joe Hunter with Elvis?Wasn't Ivory Joe african american? The guy in the picture with Elvis looks white.

Re: Ivory Joe Hunter Says Hello -> April 1957 ?

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:41 am

Hmm, cool shot Doc, however I do not think it is Ivory Joe Hunter either, the man in the picture does appear to be white, not black, this mans' hair line is different and so is the hair, his jaw line also appears not to be the same.

PEP 8)

Re: Ivory Joe Hunter Says Hello -> June 1957 ?

Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Maybe Ivory Joe was pioneering some early skin treatments, à la Michael Jackson? *

*The OP may require further editing.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:13 pm

I've no idea if it's Ivory Joe or not but IMO that is not a white guy.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:24 pm

I don't know who that guy in the Graceland picture is, but it's certainly not Ivory Joe Hunter.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:41 am

Anyone else?

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:54 pm

Spellbinder wrote:I've no idea if it's Ivory Joe or not but IMO that is not a white guy.

I think he definitely is a white guy. But, I can't identify him.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:09 pm

It's his brother, Ivory Snow Hunter! :lol:

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:55 am

Don't quit your day job, brother.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:36 am

KHoots wrote:Don't quit your day job, brother.

I know! 4,000 comedians out of work and I'm trying to be funny!

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:16 pm

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/graceland.html

Graceland draws celebrity visitors

His work on Jailhouse Rock completed, Elvis returned to Memphis on June 26 and spent his first night in his new home. Fans and celebrities alike began arriving in Memphis to visit the city’s most famous resident in his new mansion. Singer Ivory Joe Hunter was there on July 30,

Davide

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Cool to have the correct date now, thx !

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:12 am

davide wrote:http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/graceland.html

His work on Jailhouse Rock completed, Elvis returned to Memphis on June 26 and spent his first night in his new home. Fans and celebrities alike began arriving in Memphis to visit the city’s most famous resident in his new mansion. Singer Ivory Joe Hunter was there on July 30 ...

After almost a year and a half, and much ridicule, is it possible the above photo is from July 30, then? And the man indeed Ivory Joe Hunter?

The July 30 visit was undoubtedly when Hunter gave Elvis "My Wish Came True" to record. It would be taped just over a month later, at Radio Recorders, on September 5-6.

Maybe you can even trust the DOC's intuition!

Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:19 am

Tom Moffatt told Elvis on UNCLE TOM'S CABIN that he and his listeners prefered the B Side to Big Hunk o Love (My Wish Came true) and Elvis wholeheartedly agreed. In a later interview, Elvis said it was his current favourite of all his recordings.

Ivory had a beautiful voice and Elvis used his phrasing in his own recordings. It's A Sin (by ivory) is my favourite. What a great recording!

For the record doc, i think that IS Mr Hunter in your (very cool) pic.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
davide wrote:http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/graceland.html

His work on Jailhouse Rock completed, Elvis returned to Memphis on June 26 and spent his first night in his new home. Fans and celebrities alike began arriving in Memphis to visit the city’s most famous resident in his new mansion. Singer Ivory Joe Hunter was there on July 30 ...

After almost a year and a half, and much ridicule, is it possible the above photo is from July 30, then? And the man indeed Ivory Joe Hunter?

The July 30 visit was undoubtedly when Hunter gave Elvis "My Wish Came True" to record. It would be taped just over a month later, at Radio Recorders, on September 5-6.

Maybe you can even trust the DOC's intuition!

Hmm, It could well be IJH, I'm not certain either way, yet if I had to call it, I'd say that isn't him. Yet as we know he did meet Elvis then there is that chance it is him.

A little off topic but I found it interesting reading the comment about Elvis saying how much he loved "My Wish Came True". "My Wish Came True" is one of the very, very few non-movie, pre-1970's Elvis songs I really dislike. I don't know why. The others are "It's a Sin", "Gently" and "My Little Friend". I just can't bare those songs, yet I find I usually just love anything recorded by that voice.

Re: Ivory Joe Hunter Says Hello -> July 1957 ?

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 pm

He sure looks like Ivory Joe Hunter. Face is similar, glasses seems to be the same......

It well could be the guy.

Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:04 am

Here is a link to some family photo's of Ivory Joe Hunter - http://www.flickr.com/photos/retro_rose/3421059365/
and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/retro_rose/ this may help in the ident of the girl in the photo.

Davide

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:09 pm

Here is the full text about the visit

"One night the great rhythm and blues singer Ivory Joe Hunter, whose anthemic 1950 hit,"I Almost Lost My Mind" was one of Elvis' favorites and whose "I Need You So" Elvis had recorded in February,came out to the house. Brother Dave Gardner,the comedian whom Elvis had first met in Biloxi the previous summer,was in town recording a follow-up to his unexpected pop hit,"White Silver Sands" Somehow or other he had hooked up with Ivory Joe,and he called up Elvis and asked if he could bring him over. Elvis was thrilled,and they were all sitting on the white couch in the living room swapping stories when,according to George Klien, "Elvis said,'Ivory Joe,I sure do like your songs. You ain't got any more of them for me,do you?'
"Now Ivory Joe was a real friendly guy,Great big 'Hey,baby,how you doing,baby?' kind of guy. You just immediately liked him,and he said,'Well,baby, I just have-I got one just for you'. So we went in the piano room,and he sang "My Wish Came True,' and Elvis said,'sh*t, I'm cutting that at my next session!' Which he did even though it didn't come out for a couple of years.,and they sat there for hours,mostly singing Ivory Joe's songs,a few of Elvis'-man,I just wish I'd had a tape machine'.
"He was very spiritually minded - frankly,I'd heard he was color prejudiced,(but Mr Hunter discounted this ) he showed me every courtesy,and I think he's one of the greatest." (further text regarding race on page 26 not included)

Taken from 'Last Train To Memphis The Rise of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick. P425
Credits for Interviews with George Klien.New Musical Express May 1961 "Elvis Sings spirituals like a Negro,Says Ivory Joe Hunter.

The NME article is actually from No. 766 15 September 1961 - Hellicar, Mike"Elvis Sings Spirituals like a Negro," Says Ivory Joe Hunter.

Marty Lacker : Ivory Joe Hunter wrote "My Wish Came True", which was BMI's song of the year in 1959. Well,years later,Ivory Joe came back with another good song and said, "I'd like to get this to Elvis" They gave him the same crap about publishing,and Ivory Joe said,"No, I ain't gonna do it" Well , Elvis never got to hear the song.

Elvis and the Memphis Mafia Alana Nash

Davide

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:44 pm

davide wrote:Here is a link to some family photo's of Ivory Joe Hunter - http://www.flickr.com/photos/retro_rose/3421059365/
and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/retro_rose/ this may help in the ident of the girl in the photo.
Davide

I contacted the girl in the link above to ask her if it is Ivory Joe Hunter in the photo and here's her answer:

Hi Brian,

I googled "Elvis Message Board Ivory Joe Hunter" and came
across the link to the forum you were speaking of:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40505

To answer your question, no, that's definitely not Ivory
Joe in the picture with Elvis and the young woman. I don't
know who the man and young lady was in the photo with
Presley, but it wasn't Ivory Joe Hunter.

Flickr user Victoria

Conclusion: The photo is NOT of Ivory Joe Hunter.
Sincerely Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:29 am

Thanks for the clarification - Brian,back to square one then?

Davide

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:42 am

bripet56 wrote:I contacted the girl in the link above to ask her if it is Ivory Joe Hunter in the photo and here's her answer:

Hi Brian,

I googled "Elvis Message Board Ivory Joe Hunter" and came
across the link to the forum you were speaking of:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40505

To answer your question, no, that's definitely not Ivory
Joe in the picture with Elvis and the young woman. I don't
know who the man and young lady was in the photo with
Presley, but it wasn't Ivory Joe Hunter.

Flickr user Victoria

Conclusion: The photo is NOT of Ivory Joe Hunter.
Sincerely Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Brian -

Who is "Flickr user Victoria"? It would support your strongly-worded conclusion to know.

Otherwise, who in the heck might it be in the posted photo? And is it from July 1957?

davide - thank you for all your terrific research.

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Brian -

Who is "Flickr user Victoria"? It would support your strongly-worded conclusion to know.

Otherwise, who in the heck might it be in the posted photo? And is it from July 1957?

Well Doc, don't take my word for it, visit her Flickr-page yourself and you'll learn that Victoria is the daughter of Flickr user Radacine1. Ivory Joe Hunter was the cousin of Radacine1's mother on her mothers side.

I don't know who the persons in the photo are but just because there is a resemblance between the man in the photo and Ivory Joe it doesn't mean that it HAS to be him. It could be anybody visiting with Elvis.

As for the dating of the photo I would date is somewhere between June 27 and August 21, 1957 where the two lions would be placed on the stone wall visible in the photo between Elvis and the girl.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:03 pm

bripet56 wrote: Well Doc, don't take my word for it, visit her Flickr-page yourself and you'll learn that Victoria is the daughter of Flickr user Radacine1. Ivory Joe Hunter was the cousin of Radacine1's mother on her mothers side.

Brian, after having a closer look at the picture, I agree that it is not Joe Hunter. However, since Victoria is family
on her mother's side, she is also one of the few people who would be able to confirm if pictures from this meeting
exist. Perhaps she can confirm if photo's exist ?

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:47 am

bripet56 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Brian -

Well Doc, don't take my word for it, visit her Flickr-page yourself and you'll learn that Victoria is the daughter of Flickr user Radacine1. Ivory Joe Hunter was the cousin of Radacine1's mother on her mothers side.

This seems to be far from a definitive source.