Providence '76 - Same Suit, Different Shows

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

KHoots
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Providence '76 - Same Suit, Different Shows

Post by KHoots »

Scott wrote:
KHoots wrote:It looks pretty clear to me that the band is wearing red.
Not in both the top two photos!
Still hangin' in there, huh? Stick to your guns. You shall prevail!

Scott

Post by Scott »

Eivind wrote:Sorry Scott,and with all due respect, but a pair of glasses should perhaps be on your Christmas list this year :D First of all it's clearly two different shows, and the band is clearly dressen in red. Don't just look at Burton, but check out Scheff as well. If they were bathed in red light, it would've probaly reflecte on Elvis' white shirt as well. Don't you think?

Eivind
Try to keep up; I'm talking about the top two photos that Elvisjock posted, not the others ones!
Rob wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Can't believe we are still arguing about this.
Argument be damned. I believe you are correct by saying that Elvis wore the same outfit at both shows.

After all, you were there.
And, by his own admission, his memory is fuzzy.

Again, the top two photos jock posted in this thread are from two different shows (assuming Neilson didn't change outfits in the middle of course). Because the band are not in red in either one!
Eivind wrote: Don't just look at Burton, but check out Scheff as well.
And where is Scheff in the top two photos?

Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Scott wrote:
Eivind wrote:Sorry Scott,and with all due respect, but a pair of glasses should perhaps be on your Christmas list this year :D First of all it's clearly two different shows, and the band is clearly dressen in red. Don't just look at Burton, but check out Scheff as well. If they were bathed in red light, it would've probaly reflecte on Elvis' white shirt as well. Don't you think?

Eivind
Try to keep up; I'm talking about the top two photos that Elvisjock posted, not the others ones!

That's the two photos I'm talking about. Even a blind bat would see that the band are wearing red in the photos posted by The
Fool :roll:
Rob wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Can't believe we are still arguing about this.
Argument be damned. I believe you are correct by saying that Elvis wore the same outfit at both shows.

After all, you were there.
And, by his own admission, his memory is fuzzy.

Again, the top two photos jock posted in this thread are from two different shows (assuming Neilson didn't change outfits in the middle of course). Because the band are not in red in either one!
Eivind wrote: Don't just look at Burton, but check out Scheff as well.
And where is Scheff in the top two photos?
sorry my mistake. Burton it is, not Scheff. I didn't enlarge the photo before writing Scheff. My point is still the same though. Red suits, not red lights.
Eivind

Scott

Post by Scott »

Eivind wrote: Red suits, not red lights.
Sorry, but you're wrong here.
Scott wrote: In the second pic, they're bathed in red. Look at the contrast between the band outfit and the skin colour in the second pic. The outfit is too bright for it to have been red.
Check out the brightened pics with less red saturation.
When you remove saturation from a picture using good software (as I did) the colour reverts to a more natural form. Saturation is different from colour, remember. The band's outfits are white in the first two pics, not red. If they were red, the less-saturated pics would have shown the outfits as light red or pink, as the actual colour remains. As you see on both pics, the colour is white.

The fool

Post by The fool »

Ok, here´s another photo from this show, taken from almost the same spot as the one Elvisjock posted. Now, is the band wearing red (yes, it is) or is it just a red spotlight (no, it isn´t)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

The fool wrote:Ok, here´s another photo from this show, taken from almost the same spot as the one Elvisjock posted. Now, is the band wearing red (yes, it is) or is it just a red spotlight (no, it isn´t)?
Fool, do you know the source of these photos? I don't remember where the shots I have originated.

Viewing these photos reminds me that Elvis made a remark about his long hair at both those shows. He asked if there was a barber in the house.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

The fool

Post by The fool »

elvisjock wrote: Fool, do you know the source of these photos? I don't remember where the shots I have originated.
No, I don´t. Sorry.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The fool wrote:Ok, here´s another photo from this show, taken from almost the same spot as the one Elvisjock posted. Now, is the band wearing red (yes, it is) or is it just a red spotlight (no, it isn´t)?
That's one HELL of a spotlight. Maybe Lamar was using a laser.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Scott

Post by Scott »

It is not a spotlight, in any case.

The only way to explain the saturation thing is visually.

Look here. I have added a panel of basic red to the picture, then removed the saturation.

The red panel - and the red bits on Elvis' costume - still retain some of the red (in this case a light reddish brown) but what remains with Jerry Scheff's outfit is grey. This indicates the colour of Jerry's uniform is not red, but white. Any photographer or graphic artist could explain it better perhaps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Scott, maybe you should give up on this... before you make a fool of yourself... why can't you accept the fact that the band are wearing red? Your Photoshop experiment doesn't really prove anything - especially when the photo is old and of poor quality to begin with. Believe me - I've worked as a photo editor for ten years. And BTW, there is still some red left in Jerry's clothes in that last picture you posted.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Scott, maybe you should give up on this... before you make a fool of yourself... why can't you accept the fact that the band are wearing red?
And maybe you should keep a civil tongue? Just a thought. The band is not in red. Good day.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

So Scott how about other photos from this concert ? They are just not from that concert then?

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

I am stating the obvious, but one of these shots is from the matinee, and the rest are from the evening show.

Charlie is right next to Elvis in a couple of these, not in the background with the band. Looks like a red suit.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

I dont know if it is obvious ...(it is) but at least we can see more photos ! :lol:

Hav-A-Tampa

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Scott wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:Scott, maybe you should give up on this... before you make a fool of yourself... why can't you accept the fact that the band are wearing red?
And maybe you should keep a civil tongue? Just a thought. The band is not in red. Good day.
A "civil tongue"? Man, you are something else. I was just giving you some good advice. Your claim that the band is not in red, only based on a photo where you've taken away the saturation, is, to be frank, ridiculous. Sorry, but that's the way it is. What about the other photos, Sherrill's clothes, etc. If you've got any other proof, show us. Good night.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:If you've got any other proof, show us. Good night.
Back atcha.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Back atcha
What, you mean apart from the photo Fool posted clearly showing the band in red????

To colour ALL of the band in red that strongly with lights, they'd each need a spotlight on them, or the whole stage would look red if just a couple of spots were covering the whole stage. Look at Ronnie's drums - no red at all. Also, and this is the clincher - look at Jerry's guitar in the photo Fool posted. How is it possible to light Jerry in Red, but keep the white on the front of his guitar?

The band are clearly wearing red Scott.

Scott

Post by Scott »

DarrylMac wrote:The band are clearly wearing red Scott.
Keep believing then ...

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:A "civil tongue"? Man, you are something else.
I feel your pain.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Scott

Post by Scott »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:A "civil tongue"? Man, you are something else.
I feel your pain.
drjohncarpenter wrote:That poster is: a) not you and b) inaccurately and hysterically harassing my every observation.

Hope this helps.
Context, context, context ...

Hav-A-Tampa

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

DarrylMac wrote:
Back atcha
What, you mean apart from the photo Fool posted clearly showing the band in red????

To colour ALL of the band in red that strongly with lights, they'd each need a spotlight on them, or the whole stage would look red if just a couple of spots were covering the whole stage. Look at Ronnie's drums - no red at all. Also, and this is the clincher - look at Jerry's guitar in the photo Fool posted. How is it possible to light Jerry in Red, but keep the white on the front of his guitar?

The band are clearly wearing red Scott.
Scott, there really is nothing more to add to this topic than what DarrylMac just wrote here; the "Elvis Presley light show" (run by Mr Fike) was not especially advanced; a spotlight on Elvis, that was about it. If the stage was "bathed in red light" then everything would be red. Add to this Sherrill's different costumes. It's interesting that you a) avoid commenting on the above and b) that you avoid commenting on the fact that removing the saturation on that photo is not enough evidence at all. But, by all means - keep believing. It's not really that important after all, is it?

Scott

Post by Scott »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote: Add to this Sherrill's different costumes. It's interesting that you a) avoid commenting on the above
Wrong. Re-read the posts.
Hav-A-Tampa wrote: b) that you avoid commenting on the fact that removing the saturation on that photo is not enough evidence at all.
Wrong again.

Thanks though.

Francesc

Post by Francesc »

So the stage skirting is also white?