Help - Elvis and Larry in Hawaii 77

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Help - Elvis and Larry in Hawaii 77

Post by DarrylMac »

Can anyone help me? I'm looking for a pic of Elvis and Larry relaxing in Hawaii in 77. Elvis is wearing a black shirt, and is sat in a chair. It was posted here some time ago, but has been removed.

Many thanks...

claude 91
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Help - Elvis and Larry in Hawaii 77

Post by claude 91 »

:smt006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by claude 91 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Thanks Claude, and Terry - much appreciated! I seem to remember someone had a more uncropped version though. Any ideas?

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I remember the overwhelming sense of sadness I felt when first viewing these photos.

In particular, here Elvis looks peaceful, serene, and almost like he's already passed away.

Only five months left.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I remember the overwhelming sense of sadness I felt when first viewing these photos.

In particular, here Elvis looks peaceful, serene, and almost like he's already passed away.

Only five months left.

Doc,

I agree with your observations. That first pic is just....eerie.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

drjohncarpenter

Tony Trout wrote:I agree with your observations. That first pic is just....eerie.
The first time I saw it -- maybe Geller's If I Can Dream -- I practically passed out.

It was striking, almost luminous, and that copy was printed in black and white. The same effect is here, too.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I remember the overwhelming sense of sadness I felt when first viewing these photos.

Only five months left.
Seems like Elvis was meditating....

Below are some more from the same spot:

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

several new photos i haven't seen.
He looks like he's being propped up in the photo with the Aldens and Rick, however the shot on his own with his eyes closed just looks like he's relaxing. I don't think you can read too much into a photo where he's looking into the sun/tanning with his eyes closed
Thanks for the pix

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

E-Cat wrote:
Below are some more from the same spot:

Wow....another eerie pic from that date....that gave me shivers....

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

drjohncarpenter

rickeap wrote:I don't think you can read too much into a photo where he's looking into the sun/tanning with his eyes closed ...
You sure can, given the time frame and his general health.

In fact that he's not tanning. People don't usually tan with their clothes on.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Great observation Doc. Hawaii gave him that peace away from the chaos that had become his life in 1977. If ever anybody needed a long break away from being ravaged from fame and it's excesses, it was certainly our boy. Unfortunately it was not meant to be.

E-Cat

Post by E-Cat »

Did anyone noticed that Elvis did not wear short pants or any other beachwear during the entire holiday in March 77.
This may give a clue how unhappy he felt about his body.

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

drjohncarpenter

E-Cat wrote:Did anyone noticed that Elvis did not wear short pants or any other beachwear during the entire holiday in March 77.
This may give a clue how unhappy he felt about his body.
Yes -- he was the only member of his traveling group to do so. He also wore that white terrycloth hat quite a bit.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Ben

Post by Ben »

When I think about these pictures from Hawaii '77 it seems strange that of all the pictures his hair wasn't 'done' and he didn't wear more flashy clothes like he did all the time. Its like he gave up on making an effort 'cos all through his life he did his hair and we know of the things that 'Cilla said about not being able to go downstairs in their dressing gowns(bathrobes) and he wore flashy suits even in the hottest summers but in these picture he just didn't care about things anymore.

I don't know if this makes sense but I cant put my point across very well :cry: :lol: :lol:

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

ben wrote:When I think about these pictures from Hawaii '77 it seems strange that of all the pictures his hair wasn't 'done' and he didn't wear more flashy clothes like he did all the time. Its like he gave up on making an effort 'cos all through his life he did his hair and we know of the things that 'Cilla said about not being able to go downstairs in their dressing gowns(bathrobes) and he wore flashy suits even in the hottest summers but in these picture he just didn't care about things anymore.

I don't know if this makes sense but I cant put my point across very well :cry: :lol: :lol:
All of these observations are signs of depression. Here's a man that was immaculately dressed and well-groomed his whole adult life, obviously something was wrong.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Joe Car wrote:
ben wrote:When I think about these pictures from Hawaii '77 it seems strange that of all the pictures his hair wasn't 'done' and he didn't wear more flashy clothes like he did all the time. Its like he gave up on making an effort 'cos all through his life he did his hair and we know of the things that 'Cilla said about not being able to go downstairs in their dressing gowns(bathrobes) and he wore flashy suits even in the hottest summers but in these picture he just didn't care about things anymore.

All of these observations are signs of depression. Here's a man that was immaculately dressed and well-groomed his whole adult life, obviously something was wrong.
Yes that was the point I was trying to get across. He made the biggest effort to look 'perfect' especially in photos/footage(and I know this wasn't in the public but he knew pictures were being taken) but during this holiday he just seemed to not care if he didn't make an effort.

Topic author
DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

sorry guys, but aren't we going a little overboard. He was on holiday! Why should he not relax, take it easy, and be himself. FIrstly, in some pics, it's breezy, in others, he'd been playing football with his friends. Just because his hair was messy, doesn't mean he was in the depths of a manic depression. He most certainly felt self conscious about his body, hence just wearing t-shirts, but all the anecdotes from this trip suggest they all had fun.

In this pic, Shelly's hair is messy too - is she depressed?

I say this in full knowledge that Elvis wasn't in the best health, had issues with his drug problem, almost certainly had spells of depression, but not constantly!
laugh77.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Joe Car wrote:All of these observations are signs of depression.
Evis was not a classic depressive. He may have been down at times, but it was not depression. Does he look like a depressed man in the pics with Shirley here?

It was sometimes Elvis' style to tan with clothes on. The fact that he did it in '77 is no big deal.

Hell, he even tanned with clothes on in Girl Happy!

On the extremely rare occasions I tan, it's with clothes on. And it's in the spring and autumn, never summer.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

good posts.
He was relaxed, dressed casually and in most photos seeming to have a good time.

Inigo Montoya

Post by Inigo Montoya »

I've always thought that the more likely reason he wore those darned prehistoric bird jumpsuits for most of 1976, and the Sundial suit for most of '77, was that he was depressed. Sure, there may have been fit problems for some of that time, but there were quite a few suits that Elvis could have worn, and sometimes did, during that same time. During '76 and '77 it was when Elvis seemed to be feeling better -- admittedly, this usually coincided with not being in the worst apparent physical shape and general condition of that period -- that he wore a greater diversity of suits (March and October-December of '76 and the first tour of 1977).

And, in line with what you're saying, it was during 1976 and 1977 that Elvis started wearing those tracksuits and lightweight nylon jackets when offstage. He sometimes still gussied himself up a bit with, for example, those two-toned outfits he wore in 1975 (the 'penguin' suit and similar) but, for the most part, candids from that period feature an Elvis generally possessed with less evidence of sartorial splendor than ever before. His hair was often pretty messy, too. I'm not saying it was a bad thing -- I'm all for the man having been dressed comfortably, and my own preferences would run thusly -- but I think it was a rather sharp departure. I mean, Elvis had always been a real clotheshorse and even when he was dressed to just slop around the house he was usually dressed up several orders of magnitude more than most of us at our fanciest, and then more often than not in custom-designed clothing. There was definitely a change in Elvis' apparent interest in his appearance during 1976 and, in hindsight, perhaps it to some extent signified trouble.

Scott

Post by Scott »

It can also be an age thing.

I know that now, at 41, I don't put as much effort into what I wear, not even as much as I did two years ago.

It just doesn't matter to me anymore. As long as the clothes are clean and functional.

F*** funkiness and fashion.

Maybe he was bored with flashy clothes.

Either way, the man was not suffering from actual depression.

drjohncarpenter

ben wrote:When I think about these pictures from Hawaii '77 it seems strange that of all the pictures his hair wasn't 'done' and he didn't wear more flashy clothes like he did all the time.
Your judgment is based on known photos. There are apparently other examples of the entire vacation group out on the town at local festivities, and they are well-dressed.

No doubt, though, that our hero didn't feel good about his shape in March 1977, and thus the extra clothing.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Simon1
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Simon1 »

Even in the late Sixties Elvis usually wore a shirt when on the beach in Hawaii. (see screencaps below)
I think it was just his thing, he was always self-conscious and felt more at ease with a shirt on, it wasn't any different during his last vacation.
If he was depressed at the time? Probably so, his health was a constant worry, the up-coming 'bodyguard book' was on his mind, the financial situation was not good, I'd say he'd have had plenty to be depressed about.
Nevertheless, I think he may have enjoyed himself there for a while, I certainly hope so.

Cheers,
Simon

'The image is one thing, the human being another' - Elvis Presley 1972

Scott

Post by Scott »

Simon1 wrote:Even in the late Sixties Elvis usually wore a shirt when on the beach in Hawaii. I think it was just his thing, he was always self-conscious and felt more at ease with a shirt on, it wasn't any different during his last vacation.
Exactly. You'd think any serious, er, seasoned fan would know that!