Elvis in 1970

Post here your Elvis' pictures

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Rob

Re: Elvis in 1970

Post by Rob »

Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder? I've always heard it was.

Sometimes I just can't stop looking at myself.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Rob wrote:Isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder? I've always heard it was.

Sometimes I just can't stop looking at myself.
Or your eye. :wink:

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Monique wrote:... but saying that his appearance was awful is way beyond the truth. I feel that you should rinse your mouth Doc! Elvis didn't look healthy and looked bloated at moments (due to his healthproblems and medication) and he didn't look like he was only 42 years old... but he still was a very attractive man.
Rinse my mouth? That comment is presumptuous, rude and completely unfair.

You are welcome to your opinion as much as I am to mine. Sadly, your view is -- as they say -- a corner-case. One suspects you might enjoy the works of author Darrin Lee, though.
Monique wrote:But looking bad on a picture doesn't mean you look bad/ have an awful appearance.
Of course not, but looking bad in 90% of photographs when once the percentage was 90% in one's favor is a clue that something is wrong -- very, very wrong.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Monique »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Monique wrote:... but saying that his appearance was awful is way beyond the truth. I feel that you should rinse your mouth Doc! Elvis didn't look healthy and looked bloated at moments (due to his healthproblems and medication) and he didn't look like he was only 42 years old... but he still was a very attractive man.
Rinse my mouth? That comment is presumptuous, rude and completely unfair.
You are welcome to your opinion as much as I am to mine. Sadly, your view is -- as they say -- a corner-case. One suspects you might enjoy the works of author Darrin Lee, though.
You may think so, but I stick to it! It's completely unnecessary to use such harsh words about the way Elvis looked.

Btw, I don't know Darrin Lee, so no comment on that.

Always Elvis on my mind

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Of course not, but looking bad in 90% of photographs when once the percentage was 90% in one's favor is a clue that something is wrong -- very, very wrong.
Oh, it is all subjective. You had to see him in person to witness 1976 in all its true glory.

drjohncarpenter

Monique wrote:You may think so, but I stick to it! It's completely unnecessary to use such harsh words about the way Elvis looked.
Actually, you are mistaken.

The truth isn't always pretty.

Awful adj.
1. Extremely bad or unpleasant

If you want an honest assessment, it seems that adjective is entirely appropriate.

Must I post 5 - 10 - 50 images from March 1976 to June 1977 as supporting evidence?

There are plenty of other Elvis forums which candy-coat this part of his career. This one does not.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Scott

Post by Scott »

ColinB wrote:Well, I don't dismiss anyone's opinion as 'totally blinkered'.

But to claim that Elvis remained 'beautiful' up until his death simply flies in the face of the evidence.
In your eyes, sure, but not to Chris and others. Accept it.

Scott

Post by Scott »

drjohncarpenter wrote: That comment is presumptuous, rude and completely unfair. You are welcome to your opinion as much as I am to mine. Sadly, your view is -- as they say -- a corner-case.
:roll:

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Scott wrote:

But to claim that Elvis remained 'beautiful' up until his death simply flies in the face of the evidence.
Yes, because it is subjective.... :roll:

Scott

Post by Scott »

midnightx wrote:
Scott wrote:

Yes, because it is subjective.... :roll:
No need to put " :roll: " ... because it is subjective.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Scott....

drjohncarpenter and midnightx are just mocking this forum, its membership and its moderator -- especially its moderator.

And the moderator is blind, deaf or dumb, or possibly all three.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Cryogenic wrote:And the moderator is blind, deaf or dumb, or possibly all three.
"But he ... sure ... plays a ... mean ... pin ... baaaallll ..."

:smt005
Last edited by Scott on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Cryogenic wrote:Scott....

drjohncarpenter and midnightx are just mocking this forum, its membership and its moderator -- especially its moderator.

And the moderator is blind, deaf or dumb, or possibly all three.
How is anyone mocking PEP by disagreeing with Scott's theory of subjective reasoning? Seems you are actually the one disrespecting PEP by stating the above.

drjohncarpenter

Cryogenic wrote:And the moderator is blind, deaf or dumb, or possibly all three.
He's not -- but you must be!

The only "mocking" per se is of those who live in a fantasy world.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Monique
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Monique »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Monique wrote:You may think so, but I stick to it! It's completely unnecessary to use such harsh words about the way Elvis looked.
Actually, you are mistaken.

The truth isn't always pretty.

Awful adj.
1. Extremely bad or unpleasant

If you want an honest assessment, it seems that adjective is entirely appropriate.
Must I post 5 - 10 - 50 images from March 1976 to June 1977 as supporting evidence?

There are plenty of other Elvis forums which candy-coat this part of his career. This one does not.
In my opinion it is not appropriate. He didn't look good...didn't look healty... I can agree on that..But saying he looked awfull is in my opinion unnecessary harsh and rude. But please stick to your opinion, I stick to mine.

Always Elvis on my mind

Rob

Post by Rob »

He didn't look awful compared to the average human being. He looked awful compared to how he looked just a few short years prior.

For many reasons.

chris j
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by chris j »

Scott, I didn't say he looked beautiful all the time until his death. I said he looked beautiful when I saw him..... What I actually said got buried in the scrum. I still think many people express themselves cruelly on this and other similar topics though.

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Narek »

bripet56 wrote:
Yes, I KNOW Elvis used drugs and I KNOW he didn't always look his best and I'm NOT seeing Elvis through rose-coloured glasses. But it IS getting sickening to always see and read those attacks on Elvis on this board.

I stand behind you all the way in your statement chris j.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk
I wanted to join this statement too...the attacks on late 70s Elvis are monotonous and boring...lessen it down a bit, guys

He's the King. No matter what you think.

Scott

Post by Scott »

chris j wrote:Scott, I didn't say he looked beautiful all the time until his death. I said he looked beautiful when I saw him.
Ok.

And that simple, subjective fact is something completely lost on those with the sensitivity of a beige housebrick.

Topic author
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Scott wrote:
chris j wrote:Scott, I didn't say he looked beautiful all the time until his death. I said he looked beautiful when I saw him.
Ok.
And that simple, subjective fact is something completely lost on those with the sensitivity of a beige housebrick.
But is a beige housebrick any less sensitive than one of another colour ?

I think we should be told !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

mistymorning
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by mistymorning »

Wow !! fantastic pics ! thank you all !

chris j
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by chris j »

Thank you, Brian, and all those others who post in a kindly, sensitive and non-confrontational manner on such topics.

Joern

Post by Joern »

chris j wrote:Thank you, Brian, and all those others who post in a kindly, sensitive and non-confrontational manner on such topics.
If you're Elvis you have to deal with the fact that everything you do or the way you look is compared with your best results (in this case musical output) or your best looks, which is normal. Just in the style like "... it's ok, but it could have been better...".

And Elvis in his last two years didn't look to good (to put it this way) on many, many pictures. They're showin' reality with no place for subjectivity. He once was one of the best looking dudes in the world - if not the best, but in his latter years he did not. We've got to deal with it.

That doesn't has any effect on the fact that I do like a massive amount of his music.

On a personal note - I can't see a confrontational manner in Doc's comments in this thread. He's spot on with his comments.

Joern
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Simon1
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Simon1 »

[ As the Doc points out, my post was simply a counterpoint to fantasy inspired posts by blindly devoted fans. Lighten up....[/quote]

If that was all MidnightX it would be not so difficult to stomach, but you do this over and over again, lately, I can't open a post that is about Elvis' later years and there it is, a cynical one sentence remark from you. Now, I think we all have a pretty good idea about your thoughts concerning Elvis' later years by now, no need to keep this up really.

Cheers,
Simon

'The image is one thing, the human being another' - Elvis Presley 1972

Rob

Post by Rob »

Simon1 wrote:If that was all MidnightX it would be not so difficult to stomach, but you do this over and over again, lately, I can't open a post that is about Elvis' later years and there it is, a cynical one sentence remark from you.
There is a function available that will eliminate certain posters from your view. It works wonders.