Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: ELVIS and CHARLIE RICH 1973?????? CANDID

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:17 am

not the pic I was looking for, but show's a non EP pair of sunglasses.

AAAIRPORT76.jpg

I'll keep hunting for that pic - if anyone can help me out with a scan, it's page 323 of the Unseen Archives book. He's wearing the white pre historic bird suit, and has on the traditional aviator style glasses, with no tcb on the side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 am

ok - here's a simiar pic, different angle, but clearly, they are similar in style to the glasses worn in the pic we're discussing.

white76.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:27 am

DarrylMac wrote:I posted the pics in response to the Doc's comment that Elvis was never pictured with strangers so close without the MM's being around. The pics I posted prove otherwise.

First of all, you misread my statement:

drjohncarpenter wrote:There are no like images that come to mind in the last two years of his life ...

Meaning that there are no airport photos where you see Elvis, circa 1975-1977 in a deferential pose, with no one familiar nearby.

And, of course, the images you posted fail to rebut this.

Elvis kept very few people around him towards the end -- and in fact closed ranks a bit -- so those with him are key to confirmation.

Unless other photos come to light, or the other man is identified as someone who knew or worked with Presley in 1975-1977, any claims of veracity are unfounded.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:39 am

OK, so much for the glasses being inconsistent. I didn't know either way, obviously he did go back and forth with the style of glasses. So that point to the picture means nothing.

The drama continues.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:54 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Also, with regards to Elvis nose not looking right, have a look at this pic - would you say this was Elvis nose, compared to other shots? It almost looks like a comedy false nose! Sometimes, its just the effect of lighting, shadows etc.

Actually it is the effect of photo retouching.

Wow! How can you tell that? I do it for a living and I see no evidence of it.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:20 am

Everyone's comments regarding the topic are welcome.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:10 am

This thread must be way up there on the list of threads debating a picture, huh? It is pretty fascinating.

I've spent my share of time viewing Elvis pics (my share, mind you, not equal to many of you, who humbled my opinion of my own Elvis knowledge), and I just can't declare it's not him. Personally, I agree with a lot of the points arguing against it being him (sideburns, yellow lenses, jacket). And it would really be something that no one here would have been aware of even a brief meeting of the two. But, as has been stated, with all the possible variations of angles, lighting, etc. etc., comparison pics are useful but not definitive. But to me it could go either way and I wouldn't be shocked.

I remember reading in some book (and no doubt someone here will recall it), they were mentioning Rich and Elvis, in regard to sometime in the last couple of years, and they said if Rich had seen Elvis' condition he wouldn't have been able to handle it. I'm thinking they actually said it would have affected Rich's performance on stage that night, as though the two were in proximity. I just can't remember the details. The Alanna Nash Fike/Smith/Lacker book perhaps? And I remember having the impression (or maybe it was actually stated) that they had seen each other in the past (which would be why the condition would startle him). Does this ring any bells with anyone?

And I too am a Charlie Rich fan. If you don't have it, get his last cd, "Pictures and Paintings" (from '95, I think). It is one of my favorite albums. One thing that makes it a joy is that on this album he is doing the material he wants, played and produced the way he wants (jazzy/bluesy), and he sounds really at home.
Last edited by spencerman on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:15 am

spencerman wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Also, with regards to Elvis nose not looking right, have a look at this pic - would you say this was Elvis nose, compared to other shots? It almost looks like a comedy false nose! Sometimes, its just the effect of lighting, shadows etc.

To my eyes it looks like "enhancing" has been done of Elvis's nose, cheek, and Elvis and Tom's gripped handshake. The level values of the grays here seem to out of kilter with the rest of the photograph to me.

I would also like to point out about the sunglasses- that Elvis's lenses tended to be a blue/purple to clear gradient, and it looks like the guy in the picture's are a solid shade of amber.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:18 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
spencerman wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:

To my eyes it looks like "enhancing" has been done of Elvis's nose, cheek, and Elvis and Tom's gripped handshake. The level values of the grays here seem to out of kilter with the rest of the photograph to me.

What's the source of this image, anyway? It's signed by Jones. One wouldn't think the signed image would have appeared in a tabloid or something. I guess he could have signed the pic actually printed in the publication.

Oh, wait, that's really straying from the topic. We're not trying to identify anyone in that image are we? I'm taking "investigative mode" a little far. LOL

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:29 am

unclefester wrote:KOTJ...........you can tell all that from a grainy interent image?? You Sir have my great respect............uf

It is possible that the quality of the poor reproductive image could be causing the anomalies I'm seeing. It looks like this is from a print in a periodical that was scanned and reprinted, then signed by Jones, but these parts of the picture do look "off" to me. I wish I could see this photo from the negative to see if I'm right.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:39 am

I found the quote. It's from "Elvis Up Close - In The Words of Those Who Knew Him Best:" It's quoting someone named Sonny Neal:

I was in Vegas working with Charlie Rich when Joe Esposito called. Elvis was working his last dates in Vegas, and that was the last time I really talked to him-about eight months before he died. I knew he was sick-very sick. I asked Joe how Elvis was doing, and he said, "We're getting ready to take him home." I said, "I will appreciate it if you don't come by 'cause we've got a lot of problems over here." It was opening night for Charlie Rich, and I said, "You know how Charlie is. It would probably warp his head if Elvis comes in and is in real bad shape." I talked to Elvis for a minute, then Joe got back on the line and said, "I'm going to take your advice." That was the last I heard from him.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:58 am

Sonny Neal was Charlie's Rich's manager at that time, and he had a long-time connection to Elvis.

Sonny's dad was Bob Neal, legendary Memphis DJ, and Elvis' first true manager -- Sonny knew Elvis back when he was just a teenager.

Neal also worked with the William Morris Agency for acts like Connie Smith, Conway Twitty, Crystal Gayle, Jerry Reed, and Ray Stevens. He passed away on June 10, 2007 at the age of 68.

-----

One undeniable connection between Presley and Rich was their mutual appreciation society, probably dating back to 1959 and Rich's hit SUN single, "Lonely Weekends." Listen and you hear one artist -- Elvis!

The soulful ballad "I Need Somebody To Lean On," cut in 1963 for the Viva Las Vegas soundtrack, is nothing if not Presley channeling the cool blue sounds of Charlie Rich.

Of course, Rich's 1965 single "Mohair Sam" was on Presley's L.A. jukebox when the Beatles came calling on August 27, and they watched Elvis play his unplugged Fender bass along to the 45. Paul offered words of encouragement!

Elvis' rollicking 1970 recording of "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water" is based on the earlier Rich single.

When Charlie blew out the pop and country charts in 1972-73, several of the cuts Elvis ran down at Stax (1973) and RCA Hollywood (1975) evoked this style, which Rich made popular with the help of producer Billy Sherrill:

Girl Of Mine
Help Me
Bringin' It Back
Pieces Of My Life - actually cut by Rich in 1974!

Also, when Elvis was drying out at Baptist Hospital in October 1973, he spent much of his time enjoying Rich's hit album Behind Closed Doors (Epic), asking Marty Lacker to play it over and over.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:07 am

Lonely Weekends and Mohair Sam. Those have to be two of the greatest singles ever.

Here are some samples from that last album:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radi ... fix=dp_img

Check out his jazz version of "Every Time You Touch Me."

Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:28 am

I would also like to add that Rich's Sun cut "Who Will The Next Fool Be" and "Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave" are essential listening. Jerry Lee Lewis is also one who covers Rich songs (they recorded for both Sun and Smash labels at roughly the same time), and the Killer frequently offers up rollickin' versions of "Fool" and "Headstone" in concert.

Elvis's version of "Big Boss Man" is also most likely derived from Rich's 1965 cut of the song (and Elvis's live 70's version is even more like a sped-up cover of Rich's arrangement).

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:09 am

The lips look like E's to me.

This is a news reference that refers to the concerts at the Hilton, although perhaps the disputed photo is from a later date as Charlie's son suggested.

Las Vegas Sun
Nov 19 2006

Olivia Newton-John, herself a cancer survivor (she was diagnosed in 1992) stopped by to walk the red carpet at Thursday's NCI event at the MGM before hustling off to her show at the Luxor, where she performed as part of the hotel's "Spotlight Series" through Saturday.
Newton-John (who turned 58 in September and man do I feel old) recalled a 1974 visit, her first, to Vegas when she opened for Charlie Rich at the LV Hilton showroom when Elvis Presley was dark. She arrived a few days early, while Presley was still performing. "He was singing my hit at the time, 'Let Me Be There,' in his show and wanted to meet me, but something happened and he got taken away. I was so disappointed."

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:36 am

Kiss kiss Molly's lips
Kiss kiss Molly's lips
Kiss kiss Molly's ... lips

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:00 am

Elvis...........No way..........that dude is a ETA.

The hair line, the mouth, the nose, what the guy is wearing......what is taking place in the picture, which looks like the guy is getting a autograph from Charlie Rich, Are all signs, this is Not Elvis.........
copyrightsimondewit2dq1.jpg

PEP 8)

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:28 pm

I havent read all the posts but i guess thats Johnny Harra..

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:31 pm

the clothes the person is wearing bear a striking resemblance to some of the attire elvis was wearing during august 1974. i am not convinced that it is not elvis. the quality, or rather the clarity of the pic, is such that the verdict could swing both ways.
maybe it is one of his famed doubles.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:29 pm

I'd say that there's no way that's Elvis, two reasons, the nose and the fact that "Elvis" is looking anxious or excited at the anticipation of perhaps an autograph.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:12 am

Dan_T wrote:So,are we all sure it's really Elvis now,or not?

It's -- not -- Elvis Presley.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:51 pm

I'm joining this discussion late.

I took one look at the photo and "EP's" hair instantly looked off.

Have a look at the edges round the back. It looks like the hairline has been "cut out" .... or modified.

I took Little Darlin's cropped image and copied it into a paint package, boosted the gamma and enhanced the edges. I also enlarged the image for easier viewing.

I then did the same steps on the original. Oddly, there doesn't seem to be much wrong there. LD, what did you do to the image? Did you just recompress it? It has manifested a very odd pattern that seems to match my initial misgiving ...

Note that the main clump of hair exhibits one very specific noise profile and the outer edge another. You can also see a very sharp threshold where one ends and the other begins. It's almost impossible to see anything like this in the full image, though. So maybe it's nothing.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 pm

If that's Elvis you can have my Lincoln ( on left ) !!!

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Dan_T wrote:So,are we all sure it's really Elvis now,or not?

It's -- not -- Elvis Presley.

AGREED! That is not Elvis!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:57 pm

Simon1 wrote:Doc, this is what I could find:

Columnist Joe Delaney
Las Vegas Sun
Aug. 17, 1975

Elvis takes over his Hilton Main Showroom from Charlie Rich and Barbi Benton Monday night...Elvis and the Colonel are one of the truly great relationships in the entertainment business..Louis Armstrong and Joe Glasser had an association that lasted nearly 50 years; there were no contracts or papers between them, just love and affection and total trust...We would love to write the book on that one.....

I adjusted the photo somewhat, and now you can see where his sideburns end, they looked longer on the other photo. I still see Elvis!, no other way about it.

Cheers,
Simon

The nose looks rounded to me, but that being said, what a fascinating thread!